Univ. Cop's Cruiser Pins Burglary Suspect

A 44-year-old man plans to sue Drexel University and its campus police force for seriously injuring him with a police car during a pursuit last year. Read the full story here.

November 19, 2012
2537 views

Tags: Excessive Force, Campus Safety, Video Surveillance

Nichole @ 11/20/2012 4:26 AM

Jesus... I get it, he was a criminal and it would appear he was trying to break into the school... but man, pin him to the wall with your cruiser? They could've killed him easily doing that. That was freaking brutal to watch.

What ever happened to the good old fashioned foot chase? Responding officers a little soggy around the middle?

coolhandluke @ 11/20/2012 4:58 AM

Ouch!

S.Ss @ 11/20/2012 7:34 AM

I agree with Trigger. Screw this guy he got what he had coming to him. I'm sure the officer did not mean to do this but once that adrenaline gets going you lose a lot of you complex motor functions. Oh well. This never would've happend had it not been for the assholes attempting the burglary. Nichole you sound like one of those bleeding hearts, and hopefully aren't in law enforcement.

captain crunch @ 11/20/2012 9:49 AM

What does crime pay now? To bad the assholes lawyer wasn't running away from the police with him,that way both of them would have been run over. Give the police officer a commendation there is one less bad guy on the street.

LEO @ 11/20/2012 10:03 AM

@S.Ss You are the reason why police officers have lost the respect of the public. To defend a lethal use of force by saying "This never would have happened had it not been for..." causes me to think you are stupid enough to try this maneuver as well. This is going to cost the university a lot of money and the officer will probably lose their job. Why in gods name would you defend this action? Regardless if this guy deserves to be arrested, when your son or daughter, sister or brother runs from the police because they were out after curfew (we don;t know for sure he was going to burglarize the school), hopefully they won't be run over by the local police. Although you will probably sue as well when that happens. I side with Nicole. It doens;t take a genius to figure out this was not a smart move. S.Ss if you are the "real" police please quit before you cause harm. You shouldnt be the police.

Robocop @ 11/20/2012 10:26 AM

From all appearances the Officer used excessive force. He was not a fleeing Felon who was an immediate danger to the community and that an be conceived as deadly force. Then again, if the Officer can convince a jury that he did not mean to hit the individual with his vehicle but simply block him and it was a tragic mistake then he might get off. Either way the University needs to fire him for using very poor judgement but only AFTER the trial

Captain Crunch @ 11/20/2012 11:47 AM

Leo, I'm, glad your not my backup officer. If you love the dirt bags so much why don't you quit and save the tax payers some money. You Chicken S.

S.S @ 11/20/2012 1:15 PM

Leo well you're either a rookie or a burnout. By just reading what you said I bet your the kinda guy that would let him runaway and only do a report., and think to yourself oh well he got away, and since there is no damage I don't have to do a report. Yeeeeah. I'm not afraid to chase bad guys if I have to I've done it before and I'm sure will do it again. Did he kill the guy? NO you moron! He caught him because he did what you wouldn't. Did he mean to pin the guy probably not, but he got him. Secondly my family wouldn't be that hard up to go burglarize someone, you just like to sound like the kinda person that just skates by and doesn't go beyond the call of duty. Which leads me to believe you are a rookie or a burnout. Please quit. Cause you are useless and hopeless as a police office. Real hard charging police officers would do what it takes to catch the bad guy. Leo you are truly CLUELESS!!!

S.S @ 11/20/2012 1:21 PM

Also you do lose your complex motor functions when the adrenaline kicks in. That sounds like what happend to this officer. It could definatley happen to us if it hasn't already.......well maybe not to Leo since he doesn't run or chase bad guys. He lets them go so that they could go commit another crime.

Semper Fi, Do or Die! @ 11/21/2012 7:26 AM

I'm appalled at the comments calling for the officers head. Had this dirtbag not violated the rules of the half-way house he would not have been hit. The D.A. should be fired for his cowardness in dropping the charges. Those in LE can see that he was looking for an easy entrance into any open building so that he could burglarize many rooms with the screwdriver. They have made the officer and the themselves look like the guilty party. If you are not doing anything wrong, don't run from the police! Give these officers a commendation for getting the bad guy. I saw a police officer trying to cut off a fleeing suspect and seems like his timing was a bit off!

John @ 11/21/2012 10:58 PM

Nichole & LEO, thanks for trying to turn this little forum into an espisode of maxi pad theatre.

Nichole @ 11/26/2012 3:20 AM

My pleasure, John. Enjoy your bridge.

S.S @ 11/26/2012 7:20 AM