NYPD Cop's Stop-and-Frisk Stop

An NYPD officer told a 16-year-old teen he stopped him because he was "a f***ing mutt" in audio captured by the teen and included in a report from The Nation criticizing the agency's stop-and-frisk policy. Read the full story here.

October 11, 2012
2574 views

Tags: NYPD, Terry Stops

Jim Gerien @ 10/11/2012 5:52 PM

Good people don't get stopped and if they do they are polite and get. The kid was a mutt and the cop was a good judge of character. All his statements on the video don't seem to exist on the audio. This kid wanted to get stopped and do his recording. The two alleged cop giving the anti Stop and Frisk were phony. Stop and Frisk works.

CHUCK @ 10/12/2012 6:58 AM

sounds like a mutt too me ... just out of curiosity...wonder what his criminal history [cqh].is

Racist spotter @ 10/12/2012 9:26 AM

If you guys are cops, you are a disgrace to the profession

BW @ 10/12/2012 2:28 PM

Chuck and Jim - I don't know how you can listen to that audio and condone the behavior. If that's how you treat people in your beat, you should be ashamed. We don't talk to folks like that where I work.

John @ 10/12/2012 3:54 PM

Maybe residents (especially minorities) of New York City should stop voting for Democrat and R.I.N.O. (Republican in Name Only) mayors. They do not care about our constitution (especially the Bill of Rights). They even want to control what type of food you eat in public.

gene @ 10/13/2012 9:56 AM

As an officer with 41 years experience i can say, that if i treated a citizen as those officers did i would be fired and deserve it. Some cops just see the badge as a quasi-legal justification for bullying. You're supposed to be a public servant, not a thug in uniform.

Jackson @ 10/13/2012 8:43 PM

That audio proves nothing. How do I know that was two real cops. And out of the millions of LEOs throughout state and federal agencies there are maybe 1% that are piece of shit cops. And when they are caught, our own take care of them, just like we do with all the piece of shit citizens we have to deal with on a routine basis. All these cry babies would be begging us back if all of NYPD decided to just leave the city on its own for one week. And for that mutt-get a life and stop staring at the police. If you don't want attention then don't give it. Last -sounds like these cops who have to hide their face are lazy pogs and are all butt hurt bc they are being told to do thier damn job. This crap gets so old.

Rob A @ 10/14/2012 12:42 PM

Cop was a good judge of character? What is taught in the NYPD academy is that a stop in conducted if there is reasonable suspicion that an individual has committed or is about to commit a felony or Penal Law misdemeanor. This kid may be a mutt, but how is it legal to stop him for that? I am a cop (not NYPD) and have worked in the city. I saw this all the time. If the situation is legit - fine. But I saw countless stops made for NO LEGAL REASON just because the cops are PUSHED FOR NUMBERS. That's what NYPD is all about - NUMBERS.

Nichole @ 10/15/2012 4:38 AM

This doesn't surprise me and is freaking ridiculous. I'm happy to see there are LEOs in here that agree that the behavior exhibited there is totally unacceptable.

I don't care what someone looks like, if you have to stop them because of your stupid stop-an-frisk to keep everyone safe at least be respectful of them. Respect goes a long long way.

Eli @ 10/15/2012 6:09 PM

I watch these videos, read the articles and far too often end up being embarrassed by the lack of professional integrity found in many of the comments made by officers. Wearing a police uniform is not a license to violate people's constitutional rights, nor does it make it at all acceptable to call people derogatory names. Rather, we are the ones who have taken an oath to do just the opposite. Until we in policing hold our fellow officer's accountable for their unacceptable behavior we are all part of the problem. Thank you to each officer who has written professional, constitution abiding responses within these discussions. We could use even more of you on these pages and more importantly, within the profession.

TripWire @ 10/15/2012 6:53 PM

A disgrace to all of us.... some officers never learn that they personally are not the power, the badge is. There will always be a time when a police officer has to command authority but giving respect can go a long way in keeping a situation from getting nasty. I have seen disrespectful officers amp up a situation unnecessarily far too often.

Really? @ 10/16/2012 7:26 AM

How are people supposed to respect Law Enforcement Officials with nonsense like this? This needs to stop. I am not on the streets putting my life on the line like LEOs do, however, there are guidelines for these officers, and they must be followed and not treat citizens this way. Pushing for "numbers" is borderline criminal because it is violating people's rights.

Sgt. Mike @ 11/1/2012 7:22 PM

I don't care how many people want this activity in a community, there is never a good enough reason to act this way toward any member of the community, or violate anyone's rights. If this is true, it is shameful.

That being said, the statements of the "anonymous LEO's" carry little weight with me.

Sgt. Mike @ 11/1/2012 7:41 PM

LAW ENFORCEMENT CODE OF ETHICS

As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence and disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality, and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others; honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life. I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided in me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decision. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courageously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice, or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence, and never accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve those objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my profession-law enforcement.

Aikido John @ 12/5/2012 11:13 AM

It’s obvious that this little “mutt” was trying to get stopped by looking back at the officers and looking as suspicious as he can. He had his phone at the ready. Every little turd with a smart phone is looking to get an video/audio to sell to the TV news. We must do our jobs as if everything we do on the streets is being recorded. If you aren’t willing to do it in front of your chief and channel 2, 6, 9, etc. news cameras, just don’t do it…

Nico @ 1/3/2013 1:56 PM

I can remember two occasions in which NYPD officers slammed people because they 'thought' they were armed. One was my cousin who had a comb in his back pocket and another was a co-worker who had a eye glass case on his belt. I am a Latin detective from Florida and boy would they be in for a surprise if they made that mistake with me. And then to use the term 'mutt'? When most of these Ny cops are the bigest mixture of Irish,Italian,Scottish,British,German and all kinds of European crap mixed together.