Arrest of 77-Year-Old Texas Motorist

Keene (Texas) Police Sgt. Gene Geheb arrested Lynn Bedford, 77, during a traffic stop after Bedford refused to show the officer her driver's license. Read the full story here.

September 13, 2012
3018 views

Tags: Patrol Car Video, Vehicle Stops

Mark Krueger @ 9/13/2012 5:20 PM

Although possibly within his rights, this officer displayed a very poor performance. This is the kind of behavior that demonstrates poor training and sub-standard customer service. There were MANY alternative ways he could have handled this better. Shows a good way to escalate an encounter rather than de-escalate.

Mark Krueger @ 9/13/2012 5:20 PM

Glad I'm not LE in this town.

Carson @ 9/13/2012 5:28 PM

Hey Mark, LEO business isn't really customer service. Try McDonalds for that. Lawful command met with refusal. Plain and simple.

Bob@Az. @ 9/13/2012 6:00 PM

Carson, I agree!!. Just 'cause your old don't mean you shouldn't comply with a lawfull order from an Officer. And the BS about the "bladder infection" just fails all the way around. I'm sure in the fantasy land where mark k lives the Officer should have just let her go because she's old and blew the 15 mph over the speed limit citation away. Planty of chances to show lic & reg, but she wastes time by arguing. Good call, Officer Geheb. Blues, stay safe.

bcmc25 @ 9/13/2012 6:42 PM

You get what you get when you do what you do or in this case don't do. Age is an excuse or a free pass.

Abraham @ 9/13/2012 9:05 PM

obviously this Police Officer had issues he should use better task in dealing with senior citizens. It seen to be that the elderly woman had a medical condition true statement or not. He should give her a courtesy right to the near restaurant, and looking at the video she was in the vicinity housing and building. This Police Officer use poor judgment in dealing with this 77yr Old elderly woman. Yes she violated the speed limit but The Police Officer should use a better judgment and defuse the situation with better verbal judo and task.

bpd3733 @ 9/13/2012 9:30 PM

Carson. Your philosophy of requiring immediate obedience to commands will lead you to the unemployment office. Common sense goes a long way. Be alert, but be careful not to become a "sheep" on a power trip.

michael @ 9/13/2012 10:25 PM

I have been in these types of situations before and I always think about other ways I could have handled it later. But, maybe the officer was feed up with the peoples crap for that day. We all have those days and this lady was the one to push his button. I don't have a problem with the way he handled it and the lady will comply next time she is stopped and asked for her ID. It does get old when people are wanting to "questioned your authority" and challenge you all the time. Obviously she didn't have to pee that bad, she just wanted to get out of a ticket. I am sure she drove by many restrooms and could have stopped if she really needed to pee.

captmidnight @ 9/14/2012 11:27 AM

This woman faiied to ID on Demand, then resisted Arrest once told she was under Arrest. Proper procedure was followed plain and simple under state law.

If you dont like the treatment, dont break the law. Plain & Simple.

"Don't Mess With Texas"

captmidnight @ 9/14/2012 11:28 AM

This woman faiied to ID on Demand, then resisted Arrest once told She was under Arrest. Proper procedure was followed plain and simple under state law.

If you dont like the treatment, dont break the law. Plain & Simple.

"Don't Mess With Texas"

captmidnight @ 9/14/2012 11:31 AM

If you dont like the treatment, dont break the law. Plain & Simple.

"Don't Mess With Texas"

John @ 9/15/2012 12:02 PM

The old bitch is lucky she wasn't sprayed with oc. Maybe she should quit driving if she can't follow simple, clear & lawful commands.

Officer @ 9/15/2012 8:38 PM

I hope you officer that you wont get any credit for this, instead, the whole PD most likely will be laughin' at you for your brave work.

citycop461 @ 9/16/2012 3:54 AM

To "officer"-
not all police work has to be "brave work" or even work you necessarily want to do. I'm sure the Sgt in the video didn't wake up in the morning and say to himself "I really want to go hands-on with an old lady today".

The Sgt approached the car and kindly introduced himself and was met with immediate poor attitude.(I know... he should have think skin). She refused to hand over her license because she feels that she is no longer a regular citizen; she is something special because she is old and "sick". She was warned that she would be arrested if she didn't produce her ID and she AGREED to the arrest..not that she had to, but it shows how stubborn she was being. Then she resisted arrest and played the "i'm gonna report you" game while laying on her horn.

Unfortunately, the person to make the decision here was the old lady.

Bob@Az. @ 9/16/2012 8:50 PM

officer: Let me guess, English Major in College? Blues, Stay safe!!

Nichole @ 9/17/2012 3:45 AM

I'm going to get hated on, but I don't see anything wrong with what the LEO did. The only thing I did see was him getting a little flustered, but to be honest, I probably would have as well.

The woman was being uncooperative, belligerent, an self-entitled.

I'm sorry, but when you get pulled over and an officer introduces himself politely and asks for your ID and registration, you give it to him. No questions asked. Being combative will only get your arrested.

I like how so many are saying he threw her to the ground. He pulled her from the vehicle after she resisted arrest and even made sure that she didn't fully fall to the ground. He helped her up instead of flipping her over and handcuffing her face down on the pavement, which I believe is part of procedure.

And really, who is to say that she actually had a bladder infection?

Oh, right, because everyone always tells the truth, especially when faced with a fine for doing something wrong. Yes... in CrazyWorld that's how it works. Hah, hardly.

I see nothing wrong with what he did. It would've showed better on the LEO's part if he has kept an even keel and tone to his voice, but he acted within regulations and I would have expected no less.

Bman @ 9/17/2012 11:01 AM

Just adding on here. If we were in customer service business, we would be security guards with no authority other than to cry for help when the "customer" tells us to go to hell. The client for us is the citizens who are currently NOT in trouble and we fail them if we do not stand our ground when are in the right. The customer service argument doesnt match most law enforcement situations in general but saying an officer stopping a violator has bad service recovery skills, is a joke. If the customer is always right, I guess she can do what she chooses and say F You cop, I am leaving, or just ask to leave and he would have to say "ok" if you go by the golden rule in customer service. Remember, the customer is always right.

Bman @ 9/17/2012 11:07 AM

Wow, someone used "verbal judo" in a comment. Ive taken some verbal judo training and its what you call a J-O-K-E-. Ineffective to those who are serious about their situation. Its basic communication. Some people comply and some will refuse no matter what you say. If you truly believe in the "verbal judo" you could make a better comment with how he should have asked and what her reaction should have been (in theory). Youve had time to monday morning quarterback so lets see it. Also, I believe it is "tact" that your looking for instead of task.

t @ 3/17/2013 7:50 AM

your pussies..this cops is a pussy..and most of you wouldn't stand up for your rights no matter what. and you know it...SHEEP.

Sgt. Mike @ 4/4/2013 5:05 AM

People like the guy above me named "t" make me laugh. Internet tough guy.