Fla. Cops Fatally Shoot Teen

Tampa Police say two officers were forced to fatally shoot Javon Neal, 19, after he pointed a shotgun at them, while family members questioned the shooting, claiming Neal was unarmed. Read the full story here.

August 23, 2012
7740 views

Tags: Tampa PD, Deadly Force

Bob@Az. @ 8/23/2012 6:21 PM

Sure as hell looks like the muzzle of a weapon, but we all know he was a good boy and the cops "photo shopped" the image as well as having a shotgun hidden in their clothes just in case. Just wait for sharpton, jackson & obummer to arrive with the rest of the circus. Good shoot guys, glad you went home safe.

Murgy01 @ 8/23/2012 6:22 PM

Playing "hide and go seek" is this lady for real. You can plainly see the gun sticking out of the bottom of his pant leg. I suppose she also thinks he is an honor student and a member of the church choir.
Good job on the officers part. If they would of hesitated another second the officers would have been wounded ok killed..

Charlie @ 8/23/2012 6:45 PM

Just another innocent victim of society, beaten down by the man. Poor child was simply "playing hide and seek with the local chillins. I fondly remember playing hide and seek as a child and yes I was well armed, packing my twin Roy Rodger cap gun shooters. Amazingly I never even put an eye out!

Laura @ 8/23/2012 8:05 PM

Oh! Of course I always play hide and go seek with a shot gun sticking out of my pants leg. Doesn't everyone else? He's holding onto his pants to stop the gun from falling. Heck it even makes his leg look strait. Get for real. He knew he was wrong and failed to comply!

TripWire @ 8/23/2012 8:22 PM

He was just out buying skittles....

Copretired76 @ 8/23/2012 8:38 PM

Ya they photo shopped the gun sticking out of his pant leg....you idiot. Get a life. Those cops can be on my detail anytime!

David @ 8/23/2012 9:40 PM

Tripwire! WTH Is The Matter With You?!!! Either You're An Insensitive Cop, or You're Just A Voyeur Trying To Be One!

Perhaps You're Trying To Be Humorous, But It Appears More That You're Trivializing An Event That Obviously Forever Changes This Kid's Family, & Perhaps Even More Tragic Is The Fact That These Officers Had To Shoot And Kill A Person - A Kid No Less Who Was Reported To Be Armed Himself. Regardless, They Had To Make A Fatal Decision In A Split Second That Will Stay With Them A Lifetime.

And You're Making Skittles Jokes???!!! We (Cops) Handle Fatality Situations Differently, Sometimes Morbidly. But To Make Such A Distasteful Reference, When One of The Cops Themselves, or Worse — The Media May Happen To Read It, Just Makes Us All
Look Like Jackbooted, Insensitive, Thug Animals.

Please Take Your Warped Idea of "Humor" Elsewhere!

Tim @ 8/23/2012 9:53 PM

"Playing hide and go seek" this lady should be charged with providing false information and thrown in jail. The video is clear, if they wouldn't of shot the thug then we would be attending another LEO funeral.

Bob T.retired NYS LEO @ 8/23/2012 10:30 PM

Good shoot guys, as long as you and your partner got to go home after your tour that's what counts. This is not a game, these young people have to learn being a punk has its price. I once had an arson case and we chased the perps, next thing I know the parent is there with an attorney, saying his kid was an honor student in a prestigious school. When asked who the witness was that saw the fires set, the Chief of patrol that was off duty said , I was the witness! CASE CLOSED.

Bout Time @ 8/24/2012 6:32 AM

As sad as I am for the family, this is one less thug on the street. I am not for anyone getting killed like this, however, these officers are sworn to protect and serve, and they were protecting the general public. This thug got himself killed by his actions. We should always keep our Police Force in prayer.

JD Cramer @ 8/24/2012 6:54 AM

Hey David, ease up. These officers will have to deal with this horrific moment for the rest of their lives so helping them lighten up the tension is ok.

Tedb @ 8/24/2012 8:31 AM

David...get a grip man, and get some counseling before it's too late. And get a textbook on bonehead English so you can learn about proper use of capitalization. You sound as though you may have been in an OIS that you did not recover from. Help is available, take advantage of it.

D. Nelson @ 8/24/2012 10:08 AM

Hide 'n' seek.....please! He was just another statistic and played the wrong game. How family is reacting like any other family in this situation would be. But lets keep it real, the police were not looking to kill someone. They did their job and who knows, this "kid" may now NOT grow up to kill an innocent person. Don't play hide 'n' seek with a weapon. PERIOD!

BW @ 8/24/2012 10:45 AM

That shotgun sure does look like an "assault weapon" to me.

C. Hicks @ 8/24/2012 10:57 AM

Thanks David for your comments,well said.

Fred Nelson @ 8/24/2012 2:08 PM

I agree with Trip Wire. The subject was obviously on his way home from work. And for David, get back to laying my flare line....

Steve @ 8/24/2012 2:27 PM

We should never trivialize the taking of a human life. I know these brave officers will never forget this moment...for those of us that have similar life-changing experiences, we know what will haunt our brothers for a long time...I am amazed how, despite the surveillance footage and the finding of the weapon on the scene, folks are accusing these officers 'brutally shot an unarmed kid'..No one wants to admit their kid is a thug, but if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and carries a shotgun, well, we all know what it is...

Donny @ 8/24/2012 10:25 PM

I'll admit when I read what TripWire said I had to laugh. Sorry David but some of us on this site use humor as a way to cope with a crazy world. Everyday we deal with real life scary situations and it is nice to lighten up every once in a while and post comments to ad our thoughts to different stories.

JimA @ 8/25/2012 5:45 PM

I hear you, David, but I disagree. Nobody here is actually trivializing this tragic event. They are using dark humor to get through the shock of the event. At a murder scene one time where a man had been shot in the head, I referred to him as an "air head". I was just trying to get through it. I did not think it was funny that it occurred. We are just trying to survive. It is true that our humor can sometimes be seen as insensitive, but how insensitive is it to carry a shotgun and attempt to shoot two officers? Would it be better if the officers would have waited to be shot? We are not soldiers who fight people in different uniforms than we wear, that speak different languages than we speak, who live in different countries. We sometimes have to go to "War" with our own people, but need to remember that we did not start the "War". it is our job to end it so others can be safe. And in this case, society is safe.

Bob T.retired NYS LEO @ 8/26/2012 12:02 PM

One of our humerus sayings in a dark moment where death was involved, to get passed it was: Homicide division, our day begins when your day ends. A civilian heard that and filed a complaint. It was dropped but we meant nothing by it, other then what Jim A. penned.

Bob@Az. @ 8/26/2012 2:51 PM

@Copretired76, Please read my post all the way through. These two Officers would be a plus to any unit/detail they are assigned as they obviousely think on their feet. My comments were "tongue-in-cheek" as I too have a sense of humor, even if a bit twisted. Blues, Stay Safe.

R.R.SMITH JR @ 8/26/2012 8:57 PM

DAVID GET A LIFE I WAS A POLICE OFFICER FOR 30 YRS HERE IN ALABAMA I'M GLAD I NEVER HAD TO SHOOT ANYONE BUT IF I HAD BEEN IN THE SAME SITUATION OF THESE TAMPA OFFICERS I WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING. SO A 16 YOA KID IS PLAYING HID AND SEEK WITH A SHOTGUN. WELL THE NEXT THING WOULD HAVE BEEN ROBBERY FOR HIM. AND WHOEVER THAT LADY WAS SHE WASN'T ON THE SCENE SHE NEVER SAW IT HAPPEN.BUT THESE WAS JUST A AROUND GOOD KID MY FOOT.

Sgt. Stuart @ 8/28/2012 12:10 AM

In reading through the comments concerning this shooting it is ever so important to remember that we are always on stage. With the internet and cell phone recording technology and let us not discount the ability for a select video to go viral, It is safe to conclude that we may as a whole exhibit or witness actions and expressions of dark humor in an effort to deal with this type of situation and the scenes that we must observe and be a part of. It is important to remember that the average citizen may not understand our viewpoints and comments. These officers will forever be haunted by this apparently justified event. Good shoot men. Find comfort in that if nothing else. Glad you made it home safe.

Jeff Jordan @ 9/8/2012 5:12 PM

Oh yeah this 16 year old kid was playing hide and go seek sure he was, with his weopon maybe. As a cop what do you do, react passively and late and end up shot and killed or react faster than your opponent and get scrutinized for it? Its a lose lose situation for law enforcement.