Heated Confrontation In Seattle

This heated argument between a Seattle Police officer and a subject has led to an investigation of the officer. The video shows the officer shoving the other man and the crowd demanding to know why he was pushed. The man then appears to spit in the officer's face. Read the full story here.

August 06, 2012
3058 views

Tags: Seattle PD, Physical Confrontations, Citizen Video

WillTone @ 8/6/2012 4:59 PM

The initial push I can understand due to the subject getting too close to the officer. The second push you can clearly head the officer yell "Back up!" as he pushes him away again. Hind sight is 20/20 but I would say after having to be pushed back twice he should've went into cuffs for safety until the scene could be de-escalated.

dbtkd @ 8/6/2012 5:25 PM

At times it becomes apparent that some people beg for a beating by yelling in an officers face. What do these loudmouthed,beligerent and disrespectful individuals expect is going to happen when they are in your face, twice!

michael @ 8/6/2012 11:15 PM

I agree, the first push was to get the suspect away, the second was when the suspect returns and spits. These assholes think they can do what they want, when they want, especially when they are all together. They have no respect for LEO's at all. The city Administrators kiss their asses and always question the officers when we are having to deal with these punks everyday. If you are going to get in a Police Officers face like this AH did and then he spits in the officers face. Well, you can be sure you are going to jail. I think if his friends want to get mouthy and interfere then they can join him in jail...... I really don't see a problem with the handling of this. I really hope the department backs the officer.

Bob@Az. @ 8/7/2012 8:02 AM

Your kidding,right? Pretty damn clear the upper crust has forgotten what it's like on the street, if they ever really worked there. This Officer showed great restraint by not pounding this loud mouthed turd into the ground. Oh yeah, the DOJ is watching so the city starts (?) throwing cops under the federal bus. SPD, disband and let the city mayor and chiefs protect their own asses. I know you won't do to your oath and courage, but thats how I feel. Stay Safe.

Po-PO @ 8/7/2012 8:24 AM

Every street officer has encountered a law abiding citizen who didn't do anything wrong (in their limited view) but decides to stand up for their perceived right to confront an officer. I'm guesisng whatever brought the officers to the scene was the result of an unruly crowd. Unfortunately officers by their nature are Type-A personalities and it is difficult to descalate when being challenged. The officer had two options, arrest the guy immediately for being in a roadway and also assualting the officer by invading his personal space putting the officer in fear of receiving a battery. The second less desirable option is to let someone else handle the turd. I believe (having 25 years of experience) we do a poor job protecting each other from doing something that bites in the butt later on. I'm not suggesting the officer did anything wrong overall, except letting his emotions get the best of him. Simple feedback about how it looks from the outside by his first line supervisor should suffice. My guess is the officer knows the other guy got the best of him by playing into the guy pushing his buttons. I would hope another officer if given the chance again would step in who isn't emotionally charged and help keeping the officer from doing something he may later regret. By the way, you can clearly see the officer wipe his face after getting spit on.

Lawman @ 8/7/2012 8:48 AM

I read the post between anti-cops and police officers all the time. For those outside observers who believe we as officers are doing the best we can, I want you to know that we as officer's know 90% of the population realize we are the thin blue line between good and evil and appreciate you knowing how difficult our job is. The 10% who are anti-police may someday need us for an emergency and we will come regardless of how you feel about us. To the rest of the public who read the hate towards the officers and the officers who respond with nearly as much contempt, we as officers don't think it's us against the public, we are the public. We as officers only have contempt for the few who wish us harm. As always we appreciate your support and prayers when one of our brothers or sisters in LE get hurt protecting your safety.

John @ 8/7/2012 6:10 PM

I believe officers should be reasonably patient and polite when dealing with compliant, non agressive individuals. However, if you split at an individuals face (l.e.o. or non l.e.o.), you should expect a beat down. As far as the D.O.J. officials charged with investigations & department oversight, through the years the feds have been the biggest offender of civil liberties. Too bad there aren't enough residents of any state willing to succeed from the union. Only then would the feds have incentive to quit trying to be an all powerful, all knowing entity.

Jon Yarbrough @ 8/7/2012 8:34 PM

@John: well, you might find that there are plenty of residents ready to reclaim state's and individual sovereignty stolen when the Fed created the Federal Reserve. I know plenty of non l.e. individuals who are prepared/preparing to support and assist their local agencies against any Fed tyrannical oppression.

Dan @ 8/9/2012 5:30 PM

The biggest thing I see here has not yet been touched on. I agree with the officer's actions 100%. The only thing I would suggest from a 20/20 hindsight position is, maybe one of his partners should have stepped in and told him, "I got this one." Yes, we never want to second guess a partner, especially if that partner outranks/numbers you in years of service, but we need to make sure our partners go home every shift. Maybe the partner can give the guy a little "talking to" and keep his partner out of some unneeded IA investigation. What I am shocked at is this: African American Officer; African American suspect, no issues at all from anyone!!!! No ACLU, no Civil Liberties people nothing. If it was a White Officer, this would have been national news and the officer would be labeled as a racist. Amazing double standard.

BDUP @ 8/10/2012 7:51 AM

In about 8 years, I havent seen very many cussing matches end with both parties going different directions. They almost always end up with the A-hole going to jail anyway so I can never understand why you cuss them out and act shocked when they continue to try your patience in front of a crowd. I guess its more of a big city thing where your more anonymous if thats spelled correctly. At the agencies I have worked for, been apart of, or observed, its much more common that if we tell you to stop interfering and then you make us have to put hands on you, thats it. Done deal. Off we go to jail. Most of the people I have seen that would rather get into a cussing match only do so because they really dont want to take the person to jail. Most folks, however, will only tolerate you interfering once or twice and then after your warning, your gone so they dont get upset when the a-hole keeps doing what he is good at and thats being an a-hole. Thats probably why they were there to begin with. Hopefully anyone who thinks this officer is being a bully should realize, he could of hauled him off right then and there before the first push so while the cussing match was a waste of time, the office showed a lot of restraint.

M.Conner @ 8/13/2012 7:23 AM

The officer showed much restraint in not bashing the a-holes head in as soon as he pushed him away and he came back. There would not be a second push from me but a swift down to the ground and under arrest. That's if one of my partners have not already done it. Kudos officer.

Sgt. Mike @ 8/14/2012 12:54 PM

Someone needed a "tap out" long before pushing started. We need to cover for each other by removing ourselves when we see a brother becoming emotionally engaged and before we become provoked.