Fatal Shooting at Ark. T-Stop

A Trumann (Ark.) Police officer was fatally shot during this deadly traffic stop that the agency's police chief says he will use as a training video for younger officers. A fuller version of the footage can be viewed on YouTube. Read the full story here.

August 09, 2012
15405 views

Tags: Trumann (Ark.) PD, Vehicle Stops, Duty Deaths, Patrol Car Video

John Russell @ 8/9/2012 5:29 PM

Unfortuantely this happened because improper action on teh officers ,,, common sense have 2 male occupants one does the arrest and the other uses Benelli to over watch car and occupants in CALIF first thing they do is place all occupants on the KNEES with interlaced hands with overwatch always --plenty of JULIOS and Manwell have been shot dead in common stop ---sad but true.

John Russell @ 8/9/2012 5:33 PM

second the crazed REDNECK was one handing the pistol meaning doubt allhis rounds hit ---with over watch officer should be ready to kill the occupant -unfortunately Offciers never expected a gun wielding mad man in the city of LA or perhaps NJ they expect this or persons know COPS will kill them with any remorse...reason does'nt happen too often in hateful cities ..

Robocop @ 8/9/2012 6:09 PM

Maybe I need to see the entire tape but it really looks like a cluster****. I do not understand why the second Officer did not shoot and kill the second man. In the latter part of the video the second officer is seen running and pushing the injuried Officer around and picking something up off the ground. He did not have his firearm up and pumping rounds into this clown. He was standing in the open for crying out loud! Shoot and kill him already!

Capt David LACO Retired @ 8/9/2012 7:05 PM

This should not have happened. Too much confusion prior to the shooting and too relaxed when opening the door, and, yes, what was the other LEO doing? One of my buddies was killed during a very sloppy stop and search. EVERY stop can become deadly and the LEO's attitude needs to be tuned into that...Sorry for the slain officer and his family.

Ron Bartlett @ 8/9/2012 8:03 PM

First of all my prayers go out to the family of this Officer's family. I know this incident happened a way back but still they lost a loved one in such a way that it hard to understand. The traffice stop was not handle well at all. It seems that the Officers were way to relax and the second officer was just standing on the driver side of the car when he should have had eyes on the subject in the the back seat. I really cannot second guess them since I wasn't there and I haven't seen all the of he video but what I did see was a sloppy traffic stop that ended up in a needless death.

Brian @ 8/9/2012 9:42 PM

John Russell:what the heck are you talking about? LA and NJ? What does that have to do with anything here!? It's unfortunate what happened, and when we Monday morning quarterback we can find all kinds of errors. Hopefully this video will help officers to understand why not to get complacent on an arrest or traffic stop. This kind of thing can and does happen anywhere, not just "hateful" states (whatever that means).

Dan @ 8/10/2012 6:03 AM

PC and complacency are the top killers of LEOs today. It is hard to tell, but it almost looks like the second officer who pulls the victem behind the cruiser has his Taser in his hand not his service pistol. This officer's family will be in our prayers.

S.S. @ 8/10/2012 6:36 AM

This is sad. Thoughts and prayers go out to the slain officer's family. Every stop a law enforcement officer encounters has this potential. Please keep that in mind out there.

Carlos @ 8/10/2012 4:23 PM

Very complacent is absolutely an accurate description of officers behavior. This is something many of us, including myself are guilty of. However, the "backup officer" should of quickly adjusted when those shots rang off and observed his partner shot. His immediate action should of been to stop the threat and prevent any further life threatening injuries to himself or another person. This is textbook and exactly what we signed up for. Although the surviving officer may have received harsh criticism from others, one thing that makes me feel sorry for him is the burden of guilt he will live with for many years to come. The what if?... Thoughts and prayers to the officers and family.

SMOKEY @ 8/10/2012 5:36 PM

FIRST OFF. I'M SORRY FOR OUR FALLEN BROTHER, IT IS TRAGIC. I DIDN'T SEE THE WHOLE TAPE, BUT WHY IN THE WORLD THE SECOND OFFICER IS NOT SHOOTING BACK AT THIS IDIOT IS WITH OUT A WONDER. THAT IDIOT SHOULD BE DEAD ON SCENE. NO COURT COST!!

Bob@Az. @ 8/10/2012 11:04 PM

Bloody sad. What the hell was the training for the second Officer? That pos should have been dropped as soon as he started firing! My condolences to the Fallen Officer, his family and his department. May this video save at least one life and change the way training is done. Never relax on ANY call!! Stay Safe and Alert.

JAFO @ 8/11/2012 12:10 PM

Not that any of the previous posters will read this but here it goes but here's the rest of the story. Schmidt was initially shot below the chin then in the right wrist. The backup officer suffered a broken arm when he fell trying to seek cover. When the officers were seen coming back into the video Schmidt dropped his weapon (because his wrist was injured, picked it up, and dropped it again while trying to transfer it to the left. Other officer did shoot POS but not before POS picked up Schmidt's gun and shot Schmidt in the face. In the future I would hope people would look at more video before they make up their mind and this website post the best version for their viewers to watch!!!!!

Ronald Castro @ 8/12/2012 1:12 PM

My prayers and thoughts go out to the family and friends of the fallen officer.stop beating up on the 2nd officer.I have been several shootings where my partner could not shoot back.count the seconds that the original shooting took place and let me know how you did drawing,put on (moving target) then shooting. Its a tough skill.-?

Ron Castro @ 8/12/2012 1:24 PM

We are responsible for keeping us safe,my dept. Firearms dudes are awesome and do the very best job possible to get us ready for hell on earth.lets (sadly) learn from our brothers and sisters vids and stories and pray that we are never 2nd guessed (post mortem) for our mistakes.Be safe and take care.

Ronald Castro @ 8/12/2012 1:32 PM

PS.thanks jafo for explaining what happened acter the fact,It cleared up alot of mystery.I really don't think hearing the murdrerd Officer begging for his life would have helped make this video any better.sad no matter how you look at it.Take care and be safe.

Brad Jerome @ 8/13/2012 5:33 AM

First and foremost, I would like to extend my condolences to the fmaily, friends, and co-workers of not only the fallen officer, but to the other officers present during this shooting. I was involved in a shooting last July which resulted in the death of a fellow officer. I did return fire and end the threat. It is something we all do, but how many of the posters on here saying "he screwed up" have been involved in a gunfight? I know we want to point out mistakes that have been made, but regardless of the mistake or tactical error, that officer paid the ultimate price. Rest in Peace Brother! We've got it from here.

jwebb714 @ 8/14/2012 4:50 AM

I d like to the thank all the "experts" for their "expert" opinion! I wish you "super cops" could be my "partner" I d never have to worry about "anything"

FYI the "Fox Network " is developing a new cop show and needs technical experts to advise the producers. You might want to apply I 'm sure you d be shoe-ins. Looking forward to your next installment of "I would have done this or I would have done that."

P.Brown @ 8/15/2012 10:18 AM

jwebb714, thank you for saying nothing helpful. Stay in Mayberry while the big boys do big boy work. Obviously, this incident could have been handled differently, hopefuly with a different outcome. I would also like to extend my condolences even if you didn't. Also, whoever doesn't understand the suspects (and amount of suspects) that come out of LA or NJ doesn't understand what it's like to be in one of the big 75 (the 75 departments that have over 1,000 officers). If you saw nothing wrong with this traffic stop, you need to attend a real police accademy. Stay safe, sounds like might need the reminder, as we all do.

BPTLT @ 8/17/2012 8:18 AM

jwebb714: you do not need to be an expert in police tactics to realize ALL of the officers on this stop are to blame. ASSuming someone does not have a gun is what gets officers killed.

if they all ASSumed he DID have a gun the officer would be alive today because he would have told the rear seat passenger to show his hands before having him exit the vehicle. pretty standard operating procedures for every police department in the world actually.

complacentcy got him killed period. sad but completely preventable.

shame on the sergeant who was on scene for not ensuring his officers safety by covering him when he opened that door and instructing his officer to instruct the suspect to show his hands.

RonT2287 @ 8/17/2012 12:05 PM

I would like to share this incident with anyone who reads it:

On Friday, May 19th, 2006, I was involved in a 44 minute pursuit of an active shooter. On two occassion, this POS shot at me when we tried to stop stick him, forcing me to cover. Then he fled.

The second time he shot at me, was after the PIT manuever was done, and he was stuck in his truck, in a tree. This time he did not get away...or survive.

But what I am want to say is that I had auditory exclusion, and tunnel vision. I NEVER HEARD OR SAW my back-up next to me, firing an AR-15, or the helicopter above. All the training I had over a course of (at that time), 26 years, came into play without my thinking about it. Finding cover, I returned fire from my 12 gauge until it was empty, (the suspect was hit, but kept on firing), made the trasition to a .45 Glock, ran it empty, re-loaded, ran it empty. It was only then that I had my back-up literally hit me on head to stop firing, as the suspect was down.

My point? Practice, and practice often. Fight the desire to stay focused only on the suspect, and try to listen to surrounding noises. I got lucky..I'm here because we received superior training, and Divine Intervention.

Brad Jerome @ 8/19/2012 6:45 AM

My shooting which occurred on July 8, 2011 lasted all of maybe 10 seconds. The subject was ordered to show his hands from inside a van that had tinted windows. My Sgt. was on the passenger side of the van while I was on the drivers side. The perp fired a single shot from inside the van striking and killing my Sgt. I responded by firing and striking the subject in the head (right eyebrow to be exact). I didn't know at the time I had hit him due to the dark windows. I take cover in front of the van. In the immediate aftermath, I am telling myself in front of the van "Listen for the doors, Listen for the doors, Listen for the doors and be ready for Round 2" "You know what you've got to do", and "You've got to take him out". Bad guy never made it out of the van. Bad guy was struck in the head, but survived. Sarge didn't. Training, a Good Attitude, a Winning Mindset, and of course the ever present "Divine Intervention" are the reasons I am alive today. Stay Safe My Brothers!

Prairiecopper @ 9/2/2012 10:54 AM

I am not here to comment on the video, I am here to comment on the comments of Officer Jerome and Brown above. I attended your Sgt's funeral. I work in the same state as you. I too work a smaller agency. Listen fellow officers..not everyone has the luxury of multiple officers on these stops. Us "mayberry cops" as Officer Brown refers us to, do the same job as you "big boy cops" do. We may not deal with these on a day to day bases, but we do encounter them! And we do this job most of the time by ourselves, without backup. We handle this situation with the best tool available to us...our communication skills. And if we have to use force, we only hope we can keep talking to the person until help arrives. Us "Mayberry" cops dont do the job in mass numbers, where once the subject isn't compliant we throw them to the ground, and take them to jail. I was in NYC a few years back, and a NYPD officer and myself were comparing our jobs. He stated to me that he could not work in my envirement without knowing back up is close by, and I in turn stated I couldn't work in his envirement with the high paced, large amount of ppl. We need to stop lableling other officers, as we all do the same job, just in different manners.