Deadly Force In Michigan

Justice Department investigators opened a civil rights probe into the fatal shooting of a man with a history of mental illness by Saginaw Police Department officers. This is the raw footage. Read the full story here.

August 17, 2012
3457 views

Tags: Deadly Force, Citizen Video

jason barnes @ 8/20/2012 5:50 PM

He had a knife, yes. Perhaps the shots that took him down were appropriate. But how many dozen times should he be shot AFTER he's on the pavement?

Your Kidding @ 8/20/2012 6:23 PM

"Perhaps the shots that took him down were appropriate." You've got to be out of your mind if you think it was "appropriate". What, No body had a taser? The day Tasers were declared safe to use on 100% of the population, every cop tasers first. OMG! I've paid attention, & since 9/11 Cops started treating everyone as felons, if they Not part of their special club. I got pulled over one evening. b4 dark for a head-lite out, after the officer's done running my plate, he approaches my car cautiously (I had no problem with that) he takes my license, & insurance as he tells me y i'm being pulled over.. walks back to his car.. so I go to step out to see if its a short. WOW.. Talk about Nazi.. The guy starts screaming to "GET BACK IN THE CAR.. Pulling his side arm (he was a rookie). Thank god a veteran pulled up right then or I’d be dead now. As I got back in the car, I hollered back, “Wow.. someone with a badge, gun, & powers of arrest shouldn’t be that PARANOID”. He heard me. After running my license, seeing I wasn’t what-ever he perceived me to be. He came back, & tried to lecture me on getting out of the car when a police officer stops me, & “What, you were getting out because you didn’t believe me!?” “You really are paranoid! And until we lose all our civil liberties, & become another Russia, I’ll get out of my damn car when I’d like, & if that’s enough for you to shoot & kill me.. so be it.. you’ll have to deal with the fall out of shooting an unarmed citizen. Are you going to give me a ticket or not?” He didn’t, so I got the hell away from him. I thought maybe he was “special”, but after seeing these paranoid cops putting way more bullet holes in this man (holding a life! No where close to them, and he starts walking the opposite direction to where the officers are) where was the threat? There was none at the time everyone unloaded on him. Cops are being taught shoot to kill, they better be right when they do it!

Mark @ 8/20/2012 6:28 PM

Bring a taser to a knife fight? You're an idiot. I couldn't bring myself to read the rest of your rant after that dumbass remark.

Bob@Az. @ 8/20/2012 6:38 PM

@your kidding: OK whiz kid, what else did the Officer say before he walked back to his unit? "Go ahead, get out of your car while my back is turned even though I'm a mind reader and know your no threat"? Any idea how many LEOs are killed or wounded on traffic stops? You sound like a loud mouth punk who is too chickenshit to serve, either military or law enforcement. LEOs are taught to shoot to stop a threat. Are you, in all your wisdom, aware that a vest will NOT stop a knife? And an average person can cover over twenty feet in less then two seconds? Go back to yelling at the TV. Blues, Stay Safe.

Scott from Florida @ 8/20/2012 7:20 PM

Well said Mark. Your kidding has obviously never been confronted by anyone out of their mind armed with a knife. Anyone will tell you that a perpetrator standing within 30 feet of you with a knife can charge you and kill you before you get two shots off. Good luck hitting the target while trying to move out of the way as the perp is charging you. It's a sad situation and not one of those officers wanted to be there. Had this mentally ill man not been confronted, how many law abiding citizens would have been injured or killed? The Officers were there, tried to talk him down and the man didn't comply. It is a very sad incident and the guy was really out of his mind but it doesn't change the fact those Officers acted properly regardless of how many shots were fired. Dead is dead and the threat was neutralized and the only person who was killed was the one who was the threat. My prayers to both the family of the man and those officers who will be second guessed and criticized by a politically correct system. That's the real tragedy. We no longer hold people accountable for their actions, only the Police.

Pup @ 8/21/2012 9:23 AM

I clearly understand the threat of a 5150 armed with a knife and the so called 21 foot rule. Again, is depends on your cover. But, where I see a problem here, which will most likely be addressed is where was the less lethal. Why wasn't it used or deployed? Stun bag, arwin/sage, etc. As for the K9, it's not an option. An outcome of a 5150 w/knife vs. K9, there's no match, the dog will lose. Training with scenarios as this one, hopefully will help deal with the situation and a better outcome.

Sgt. Mike @ 8/27/2012 8:07 AM

Tasers are NOT authorized in lethal encounters in any agency I know of. Lethal encounters are addressed with with weapons designed to deal with lethal threats, not tools intended to remedy fist fights.

Tom Ret @ 9/13/2012 7:41 PM

There is no requirement to use less than lethal force when confronted by someone who is threatening lethal force.