Force at Ala. T-Stop

The Huntsville (Ala.) Police Department has fired Officer Phillip Lee, in part, for his conduct during this traffic stop on Dec. 13, 2011. Officer Lee pulled a speed violator out of her car. Read the full story here.

July 24, 2012
4637 views

Tags: Huntsville (Ala.) PD, Vehicle Stops, Use-of-Force Policies, Patrol Car Video

Lee @ 7/24/2012 11:29 AM

I hope he fights this. She saw him pull behind her and it almost looked as if she thought about running at first...Then opens the door as he is approaching and starts yelling and acted violent. So he asks her to step out and she got squirmy, acted like she was gonna fight. I see nothing wrong with this....Get your job back!

Jeremy Young @ 7/24/2012 6:39 PM

I agree with you Lee, there is no reason why Officer Lee should have been fired. He did all that he was supposed to do. The people in the car are the ones that started acting like they were going to do something. The girl actually did, she got out and started fighting him, punching him. Therefore, I actually see nothing wrong in the way this was handled. He took her down elegantly, just like any other suspect. The other Officer assisted him, and the other one made sure none of the other Occupants of the Vehicle were going to try anything. Therefore, where is the harm in taking a belligerent suspect into custody, becoming violent when they try and take a handle on things? Seriously, I think the City Counsel or whatever needs to get involved and see this in full. Maybe the decision can be reversed. Officer Lee did what he had to do to contain the suspect who already came with vengeance.

Michael Wheeler @ 7/24/2012 6:50 PM

I am enraged, WHY was he fired, because she struck him, Or was it the fact she didn't obey his order, or could it have been the fact that she was belligerent? OH WAIT THERE WAS NOT ONE THING HE DID WRONG!!! GO GET YOUR JOB BACK AND TELL THE PERSON WHO FILED THE PAPERWORK TO HAVE YOU FIRED THAT THEY ARE A FN IDIOT.

Dale White @ 7/24/2012 7:01 PM

Whoever fired this officer should be fired for incompetence. This officer did his job. What is the problem?

Bob@Az. @ 7/24/2012 10:43 PM

Looks like a text book take down of a combative suspect. This Officer should go for the gold and sue. Once he has regained his job he should look for a department and a city that will stand behind their LEOs. This is a BS firing and I hope the cty has to pay. Stay safe.

DaveSAM25G @ 7/24/2012 11:18 PM

Only issue turn the commercial radio station in police unit down some...Her reaction and action brought it to where it went!

Kevin @ 7/25/2012 1:11 AM

This is why I only do police work as a reserve officer. The Dept. he worked for and the city Councel both sounds like they are anti police! What did this guy do wrong? How did they pay her $25,000 and fire the cop? For what reason? She was the one acting like an idiot. Anyhow, the officer should sue the city.

Jelly2283 @ 7/25/2012 5:26 AM

Strange! Had to be more to this case than the video that was shown.

Ant @ 7/25/2012 5:59 AM

Fire them all.

Dan @ 7/25/2012 6:19 AM

I agree with Jelly2283. They were looking for a reason and selected this. Pretty weal selection, though. Good luck in the law suit Officer Lee.

Dan @ 7/25/2012 6:20 AM

meant weak...fat fingers this AM

Robert @ 7/25/2012 6:20 AM

I cannot believe Officer Lee was fired for this. There must be some person with not very much smarts making these types of decisions. This person stopped acted crazy from before the stop and her demeanor was way out there. Plus what were her hands doing and was she reaching for anything? The important thing is Officer Lee went home that night. Glad I don’t work for that department. Yikes!!!

Jay @ 7/25/2012 6:57 AM

The officer acted reasonably. I hope his union has a decent lawyer, because he deserves to be back in the uniform. He acted decisively, using a comparatively low level of force.

JM @ 7/25/2012 7:37 AM

Wow, what a crock! They settled a lawsuit on that and then fired the officer???? There must be some real idiots running that city. the cops should strike on that lack of support from their officials...

dkissee @ 7/25/2012 10:59 AM

If the video shows the entire event, I see many many dollar signs in this officers future. I hope there is an FOP and he is a member. I hope he goes after the perp for assaulting him (civil court works better), just because the city settled doesnt mean the officer has to.
Job back back pay and then he can settle out of court for his pain and suffering.

Chuck McKenzie @ 7/25/2012 1:26 PM

Sounds simply as though he did what I did: piss off the wrong powers that be! I was railroaded off my department and this sounds eerily familiar. Good luck trying for any satisfaction.

BW @ 7/25/2012 2:00 PM

He should be fired for listening to that god-awful music in his car.

32 @ 7/25/2012 5:34 PM

Hell, I figured I was going to see civil rights violated, extreme language, etc. NS-what a crock. I hope he gets his job back and if not, sues those dumb-*** department heads.

Jim @ 7/27/2012 4:06 AM

What about the passenger in the car? Had the 2nd unit not been there, he could have been ambushed. Take care of number 1 so you go home at the end of shift. There is probably more to this than the stop. Sounds like upper administration being pressured by the community and they got it wrong based on this video. To all - stay safe.

TheShadow @ 7/27/2012 5:54 AM

Thank you City of Huntsville for making my job more difficult. If I sue because my feelings are hurt too can I get a quick payout?

Go get em.

scpdblue @ 7/28/2012 3:02 PM

WHAT THE F. Why did this officer get fired. It can be clearly seen that the female assaulted the officer first,Then the officer took he to the ground. Tell me what do he do that THOUSANDS of officers do when getting assaulted. Training tells you to take the person to the group because they are easier to control. That is exactly what this officer did. the gestapo OH I mean IA interview the other officers and watch the video in a nonobjective way OR did they ASSUME the officer acted the wrong by someone from above them and the chief? This is BS. OFFICER LEE,Get a lawyer and call the F.O.P.

scpdblue @ 7/28/2012 3:11 PM

The only thing I see wrong here is Officer Lee listening to crappy music and he used the word GD when the confrontation started. Question; What made him use the word GD? Was he being grabbed or hit in his private area? We can't see that part do to the positioning of the cruiser and the dash cam. Something made Officer Lee say GD right before he got her up face to face and SHE started to assault officer Lee. FIGHT THIS OFFICER LEE.

Jerry @ 8/3/2012 5:46 AM

I read all the comments, they were obviously made by police or ex-police who have no clue as to the responsibilities to the people you are supposed to protect. Me as a citizen think that firing was not enough. Lee should have been arrested for assault. You police for some reason think that violence is the only solution to an irate citizen. A little understanding and diplomacy would work much better.