Chicago PD Clashes With NATO Protesters

Chicago Police arrested at least 45 protesters of the NATO Summit after they hurled bottles at police and refused to dispurse from McCormick Place. Read the full story here.

May 21, 2012
3972 views

Tags: Crowd Control, Chicago PD, Protests

Raymond Cowin @ 5/21/2012 8:54 PM

IS this newscaster Don Lennon (sp) for real? He says its hard to watch these people getting pummeled by police. Give me a break. These 'Black Bloc" protesters brought this reaction by the police by their own initial violent actions. Again another completely liberal and clueless protester. Lets put him on the front lines with an unruly, uncooperative crowd throwing bottles at him and trying to push past him and see what he does. Most likely he would turn and run.

TimFromLA @ 5/21/2012 9:15 PM

I see pummeling. I see truncheons striking protesters. I guess this is policy to strike from the top down instead of strikes to the solar plexus. Gee. I wonder if Rahm Emmanuel and the pogues from cpd and the state police will defend this? I doubt it and Rahm will say: see this is why we need more private security. This is why your union said to be careful out there

Deputy Joe @ 5/22/2012 6:13 AM

Typical of the lame stream media - the police are always wrong and using excessive force, the poor protesters are being pummelled. Give me a break! Here's where you use 'shields up and push!'

Rick @ 5/22/2012 6:40 AM

Don Lennon who recently wrote a book in which he came out of the "Closet" resided in Chicago and was a newscaster on a local outlet. While in Chicago he was engaged in a "relationship" with a former high ranking member of the Chicago Police Department, (who is also out of the "Closet") so Don's feelings about our Department run deep and are filled with emotion and hurt! Perhaps a well placed bitch slap would be appropriate!

scpdblue @ 5/22/2012 7:55 AM

The liberal CNN news caster is right the Protesters have the right to protest BUT they don't have the right to be violent. He is wrong to say the police do not have the right to be violent. Bullshit. IF the police are´╗┐ being attacked,They have the right to defend themselves against attack.

Bill K @ 5/22/2012 8:56 AM

The media is notorious for editing video footage to support their own agenda. It doesn't show a CPD Officer being stabbed in the thigh with a knife. I don't see other acts of violence by protestors that preceded the alleged "pummeling" (i.e., throwing bottles, barricades and other items at police). Wake up liberal America!

Maleman39 @ 5/22/2012 1:48 PM

What I see is the police doing their jobs. What I am wondering is, where did all the "protesters" come from? Who organized them? It took at lot of organization. Who is running the demonstration? There is much more here than meets the eye, no thanks to the media.

Commander Griffin @ 5/22/2012 3:49 PM

The CPD should be commended for there professional conduct and patience in handling this unruly crowd. My hats off to the front line CPD Officers.

Don Merkle @ 5/22/2012 4:36 PM

We saw what happens when you handle "Black Bloc" protestors with media-friendly tactics....chaos ensues. Looks like Chicago PD does not use media consultants as tactical advisors.

Rev. Lowrey @ 5/22/2012 5:06 PM

I didn't see any resistance and I'm sure all the body armor, helmets and shields could handle a thrown water bottle or two. I'm sure there were a few cops who believe in the 1st Amendment who decided to stay home sick that day. Those are the ones I would commend. One side showed up to peacefully protest, the other obviously showed up dressed and begging for an (unfair) fight.

abc123 @ 5/22/2012 5:09 PM

It's hard to listen to the liberal horsecrap spewed by the reporter in spite of the obvious. The only one(s) being struck by police batons is the person(s) swinging the huge sticks. One stick was broken over one cop's body.

The other officers were just trying to hold the crowd who were trying to break the police line. I don't see police hitting anyone for the heck of it.

Liberal Agenda = piss on your back and tell you it is raining. Believe lies instead of your eyes? Sorry, CNN. I don't think so.

abc123 @ 5/22/2012 5:16 PM

Hey Rev. You are as misinformed (self-deluded) as the clueless CNN reporter. The cops are using batons on protestors who are hitting cops with sticks. If you watch carefully and take off your agenda-driven-rose-colored glasses, you'll see that a protestor breaks a stick over one of the police officer's bodies. The First Amendment covers free speech... not free "hit the officers with sticks." When the protestors are actually peaceful... no cops strike them. Seems reasonable to me.

notmeofficer @ 5/22/2012 7:09 PM

Police magazine...
You market yourself to professional police officers..
Why is it we have to read comments from people who seek to destroy our society,,, isn't this magazine for POLICEMEN...

Let some of these idiots go post on their leftist publications...

I would rather read about what techniques worked rather than knuckleheads posting up with their remarks of ill treatment

Be involved in riotous behavior using violence or suggesting the injury and killing of others... you deserve whatever comes your way

Occupy that

sundevil @ 5/22/2012 9:05 PM

Rev. Lowrey, go preach somewhere else...

R Grooter @ 5/23/2012 4:55 PM

There where at least 20,000 people there who where given little time to leave after a programmed event. I've been to Sox games which took longer to clear out than was given for these people to leave. If police doing their jobs requires beating people who have no weapons, they need to start questioning their commanders. This tactical strike by police didn't stem from any reaction to protesters on the ground. It was a preemptive move ordered by the brass because people were not leaving fast enough for commands liking. The order was issued to strike in military fashion as many protesters where leaving. No warnings where issued before the strike. Peaceful people where trampled in a stampede of panic as the storm troopers moved in. This was uncalled for and bad policing. Police who accept this as a legitimate way to handle crowds unarmed people are not protesters of the people but protectors of state power. The blood and injuries to both sides are on the hands of McCarthy and police leaders. He'll probably get a medal. I can only hope he someday realizes his mistake and chooses to throw it back like the brave veterans speaking truth against powers who wish to wage war and turn us violent.

John Brown @ 5/24/2012 10:41 AM

Once again the "experts" are ranting about hings they know nothing about. Rev Lowrey, you should go to the next one and see how well you can do. Tim from LA, please stay in LA. You are so badly misinformed.

Donzy @ 5/26/2012 9:02 PM

Rev. Lowrey, you are a dork!!

Pete C. @ 6/14/2012 9:06 AM

Typical Liberal CNN TV person, so what if the protesters got hit ? They deserve whatever they get.

soldier @ 6/16/2012 9:26 PM

I was there and saw what you are talking about. The protesters started every clash that I witnessed. They were throwing glass bottles filled with urine, bleach and who knows what else. Some of the black block protesters were armed with oak sticks 2 to 3 ft long disguised by stapling a flag or banner to them. I credit the CPD with excellent restraint and proffessionalism in the way they handled these hooligans.
From a soldier that was there. WAY TO GO CPD.

Cop17 @ 6/21/2012 11:06 PM

Come on guys let's take it easy. First, I would like to ask people to stop attacking the "liberals" because I am liberal and I agree the cops were completely justified their actions. Also, what the news reporter kept saying was definitely biased and wrong. The police officers did a good job and reacted with professionalism.