Okla. Cops Restrain Hospital Patient

Bartlesville (Okla.) Police officers used force on a combative patient at the Jane Phillips Medical Center in September. Officers Stacy Neafus and Sonya Worthington were arresting a reportedly combative patient who was possibly suicidal.

March 21, 2012
40660 views

Tags: Suicidal Subjects, Gaining Compliance, Bartlesville (Okla.) PD, Restraint Techniques

lacop @ 3/21/2012 7:19 PM

looks to me like they"re assaulting the patient, not "restraining"him like the title says....

coolhandluke @ 3/22/2012 4:59 AM

I love those restraining techniques...

BW @ 3/22/2012 4:19 PM

Temper, temper. I think all cops should spend a few weeks working at a community college like I did for 5 years. A few weeks of disrespectful students flipping you the bird, spitting when you walk by, and talking all sorts of trash will thicken anybody's skin - or weed out the tempers.

AusFost1 @ 3/22/2012 5:07 PM

What was that cuddle thing that the female officer did where she just about sat in his lap?? And before anyone starts, I'm a female. That was just plain embarrassing.

Bill @ 3/22/2012 6:16 PM

This was foolish and totally stupid behaviour on the part of the cops involved. They obviously knew they were going to transfer this guy, and I'm sure the video camera was obvious. Even if it wasn't they should behave as though they were being taped. Both of those cops deserved to go. I smell a big law suit here. So it really doesn't matter because like always, the taxpayers will wind up paying for their foolish mistake.

TripWire @ 3/22/2012 7:13 PM

Bartlesville PD needs some crisis management training for their officers. They should never get emotionally involved in a crisis situation. The guy already was amped up, bringing in cops that don't know how to control their emotions only escalated an already tense situation. I'd like to know how much the lawsuit against the department factored into firing the officers.

Lee @ 3/22/2012 8:34 PM

There is always a difference between a UOF for a medical rescue with a mentally ill person, and just a UOF out of stupidity. They deserved what they got, and I think that department need to implement better training for dealing with mental sickness...

Jim @ 3/22/2012 9:24 PM

Okay, agree the female should have been given a two weeks suspension without pay, a letter in her file and additional training. She lost her temper and went after him for some reason. Maybe he said something but no excuse, he was not a threat. The guy, not sure he did anything wrong as it showed very little except the male Officer suddenly holding this combative guy down in his chair. None of this incident deserves a firing offense but yes it was handled poorly and all the Officers involved need better training. It does sound like the City is going after those Officers that were involved in the Lawsuit. Bad move.

Joe @ 3/22/2012 9:56 PM

That does not look like they have control over their emotions very well. It seems that they may not have had any training in the metal health field as well and is treating him like some idiot off the streets. If officers keep allowing this behavior to continue, it is going to make our job just this much harder in the future. I don't see why they needed so many officers there to deal with this person. They should have only needed 2 to handle him. Not the correct decisions in this story.

Steve @ 3/23/2012 6:45 AM

I'm not condoning what these officers are alleged to have done here. But, I have posted, in numerous places in my office, signs reminding my officers that it's just a matter of time until one of them will be videoed doing their job. And ask the question, "will you be doing the right thing or something unprofessional that is possibly going to get you in trouble?"

These kinds of incidents could be avoided if officers would remember that video and or audio recording devices are everywhere and the public and media are itching to use it, especially if it's AGAINST law enforcement. This incident is a prime example!

I too feel the City has overreacted unless these officers have a history of this type behavior.

Random @ 3/24/2012 2:20 AM

Hospitals usually have a gurneys/spineboards designed for spinal injuries. These gurneys/ spineboards are designed to immobilize an individual that is attempting to writhe in agony and escape. If this person was suicidal and combative, the officers could have placed him on it to preserve his health, hospital staff, and officers. They could also have requested hospital personal to assist in similar restraint (depending on policy and the available train professionals). If officers are concerned with the reliability of such restraints; the gurney/spineboards has room for manacles and handcuffs. An additional note, these gurney/spineboards are easily available upon request of a Life Guard or Security patrolman at most water parks and amusement parks. (Please check your local policy and return the gurneys/spineboards when they are no longer needed)

Commander @ 3/25/2012 9:43 AM

If officers did not have with them available in patrol car I would imagine at a hospital they could of found VELCRO RESTRAINING STRAPS to secure his legs. His mobility was key in this incident.

K9kazoo @ 3/25/2012 7:16 PM

45 minutes??? I'm sorry... if anyone is at fault it is the hospital and it's medical staff. Where is the medical staff with inter-muscular sedation for patient? 5mg of Haldol & 2.5mg of Midazolam is called for...

Richard @ 4/2/2012 8:17 AM

Nothing that I saw would merit a "firing" or "let go" punishment. The female Officer looked plain ol" silly. The other guy didn't look like he was intensionally trying to hurt the guy. I would go with some sort of counseling and training before the firing.

Mark @ 5/19/2012 12:23 PM

Recognize that at this day in age virtually everything that you do has the possibility of being recorded. The last time I had to deal with some skateboarders trespassing I ended up on youtube.