Ambush at Florida Vehicle Stop

The dash-cam video of a Cape Coral (Fla.) Police officer's shooting at a traffic stop in April has just been released.

March 15, 2012
7595 views

Dave @ 3/15/2012 4:56 PM

And that's why we don't take any traffic stop lightly! For all you civilians that feel your being harassed on a traffic stop with extra caution by the police, there are hundreds of incidences like this.

BW @ 3/15/2012 5:08 PM

I hate to Monday morning quarterback, but this is the second officer involved shooting on a traffic stop I've seen today where the officer was holding his flashlight in his strong hand. Always keep your strong hand free for situations like these.

gp cobb @ 3/15/2012 10:20 PM

... and there was an oncoming car almost inline with shots fired in return?

Juan 10-13 @ 3/16/2012 6:56 AM

It's a miracle the Officer survived the three blunt trauma shots! Thank God! To recap....he recovered after taking the three shots,the audio sounded as if he was composed and calmly returned fire to the skels who just tried to KILL him! As a former Firearms and Tactics Instructor...that was an incredibly quick focus and recovery! Kudos to you my Brother!

Capt David-retired LA Cou @ 3/16/2012 8:19 AM

I agree with BW. Flashlight in gun hand??!! Standing directly in front of passenger window and not at an angle...Guy was cool in his response to call dispatch but also too cool in his approach. That gun could have been in his face. Hope the perps got life..

Steve Pass @ 3/16/2012 10:17 AM

I'm a former Police Sgt and presently have a Son who is a Motor Officer with a local Sheriffs Dept. I partially agree with BW and Capt David, ref flashlight in Gun Hand, but if you watch the video closely, this Officer was placing the flashlight under his left arm when the suspect opened fire, my opinion is even if he had the flashlight in the non gun hand he was going to take those three rounds, he had NO Time to react. I am oppose to leaving violaters in their vehs, I'm also opposed to Officers going square on a window, B-Pillars are your protection. This Officer had dinner at my house last night with his entire family, he is healing nicely and has returned to full duty. We Christians need to include all our Officers and Military personnel in our Prayers everyday. God Bless this Officer and thank God for his life and the continued protection of our Men and Women in Uniform.

Random @ 3/17/2012 7:48 AM

At what point does this officer ask himself if the suspect is out of range before he returns fire. I do admit, he did use his radio well at a stressful time.

Did You Notice @ 3/20/2012 8:56 AM

Did you notice the officer placed himself in direct line of the passenger window? Bet he doesn't do that again.

Never saw him check the trunk lid either for secured position - - someone could have been in the trunk.

He's also grossly overweight and like most complacent officers, most likely is very much out of physical shape.

And with multiple people in the car, why didn't ask for a back up unit to standby? Luckily, he wasn't seriously hurt, or, killed.

popeye @ 3/21/2012 8:42 AM

He doesn't look that much overweight if at all, and agree with Steve Pass. He had no reaction time. I don't make a lot of night stops, but when I do, I have flashlight in left hand and right hand on pistol, unsnapped and half drawn. That sends a clear message.

spydr @ 3/22/2012 5:00 PM

This was acase of porr tactics and bad habits. Not sure why he walked from one side of the car to the other. Approaching the passenger side is a good tactic fopr throwing off your subjects but to stand directly in the line of sight your asking for trouble, in so many ways. Even with his gun drawn he was going to take those shots.

M.Conner @ 3/23/2012 3:38 AM

Everyone knows that a vest adds about 20lbs in appearance. This officer definitively made some tactical miscues that almost cost him his life. I am curious to caliber of firearm of the BG and the name/brand of vest the officer was wearing. Great job officer, you stayed alive.

david @ 3/27/2012 10:54 AM

Currently I am going through the police academy in Ohio I have seen many videos of cops shot while on duty and I too agree that the officer did a great job as far as staying calm but I did see where it looks like he was also to calm on his aproach to the vehicle....I know that I have no room to say what is right and what is wrong I just hope that i learn from what i can see and others. Thank god this officer is still alive and I hope that I can teach myself that there is nothing in this line of work that is routine..also thanks to every man and woman in uniform that makes it possible for me and myfamily to feels safe everyday

CT @ 3/30/2012 11:22 AM

We can all second guess our brother officer,I am just thankful he is still alive. NOW from a tactical stand point,I see four things(1) complacency (2) Flashlight in strong hand/gun side (3) standing in the kill zone and (4) Firing shots at a vehicle that is far enough away that the suspect is no longer a threat.