Cops Drag Man In Airport Arrest

A man who attempted to sneak past a airport security checkpoint is dragged face down by Oklahoma City Police officers.

March 26, 2012
6068 views

Tags: Oklahoma City PD, Airport Security, Gaining Compliance, Video Surveillance, Oklahoma

Bill @ 3/26/2012 7:04 PM

Here comes another law suit. Don't these people ever learn? No, they can't drag him face up, that would be much too difficult. When are the taxpayers going to get fed up with paying out settlements for cops being ignorant?

Jim Miller @ 3/26/2012 7:09 PM

You know I'm a cop who always tries to defend the actions of officers, giving them the benefit of the doubt, but "WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING???!!" Makes us all look bad. Freaking idiots.

tom @ 3/26/2012 7:18 PM

Cops are dumb and ignorant (period)

Not Bill @ 3/26/2012 7:26 PM

Bill I don't think dragging the guy face up would have looked any better. We can all agree (I hope) that walking him in an escort position would appear better to all. Let's not forget this idiot committed a crime by sneaking pass security. We have safety measures in place for a reason, you, me, and all the other people need to obey the rules. Why don't we wait until both sides of the story come and then judge.

JC @ 3/26/2012 9:14 PM

Not Bill - I agree, lets hear both sides of the story. ...I'm assuming much more of a reason than just "felt like it".. Well, for their sake I pray they have a better reason.

As for you, Tom, you my friend, are incredibly ignorant if you think that to be true.

DaveSAM25G @ 3/26/2012 9:30 PM

The need to immobilize the offender in his state of mind is needed…I sure hope they checked the bag before he carried it through Airport…be better to isolate it until it is checked out first…What about a wheel chair they have those for elderly passengers could lock them down in this…I would say let the investigation run its course there are always two sides to be heard!

McQuade @ 3/26/2012 11:40 PM

What you sow is what you reap:)

The Beat @ 3/27/2012 5:38 AM

Whats wrong with that? www.CopTalkRadio.com

John N. @ 3/27/2012 5:43 AM

I'm a law enforcement officer and I am NOT dumb or ignorant, possessing A.A., B.A. & M.A. Degrees! The officers did not APPEAR to use their best judgment, but we don't have the benefit of reading their reports. The face-down drag, prevents the person arrested from kicking the officers. I strongly suspect the individual has no affiliation with the C.I.A.

Sarge @ 3/27/2012 6:58 AM

I miss the old days! When the only thing said would have been that the guy got off easy. The guy was removed from the situation that he caused! You can only say please so many times. "ask - tell - make them"

James @ 3/27/2012 8:45 AM

The man wanted to cooperate with the officers - why not show a little dignity and help him to his feet?

Eric Stezowski @ 3/27/2012 10:40 AM

I can't believe that some people miss the obvious. If he was on his back you would rip his shoulders out by the cuffs getting caught on something. If you haven't dealt with a person completely out of control. You may not realize that there is never an easy or right way to handle some one. Only a safe way for the officers.

tdg260 @ 3/27/2012 12:34 PM

Tom,

If you think you can do the job better, take out an application and do it!!

Mick @ 3/27/2012 1:28 PM

I was a cop for 29+ years and would have never thought to do something like that, and I worked before video cameras and now cell phones were the routine. I want both sides of the story to come out, although i think the violators side will be a mess as he is apparently delusional stating he's with the CIA and so forth.

The cops will have to say something I apparently can't imagine to "justify" dragging anyone face down as they did. Even if he were spitting/biting there are better methods to stop that behavior and you still hook his arms from the front, carrying him backwards with his heels dragging the ground if he refuses to cooperate by walking.

I cannot imagine what the paperwork or their statements can say to make this seem right. Behavior like this empowers people like Tom to make blanket and assinine comments.

Ed @ 3/27/2012 2:18 PM

John N: You are one officer out of hundreds of thousands, which is hardly a legitimate sample.

gr8fulpd911 @ 3/27/2012 4:53 PM

The cops didn't punch him. They didn't kick him when he was down. They were attempting to get him to comply which obviously he wasn't going to do. While I agree the way they dragged him looked bad, HE WASN'T complying! He would not stand up. Would it have been better if they picked him up and carried him? At what point does the person causing the issue have to be responsible for their own actions?

michael @ 3/27/2012 5:33 PM

Why should we hurt our back, shoulders etc......because some AH doesn't want to comply. I am sick of what looks bad to the public. We need to get control again. Every time we do our job we are getting judged by public opinion.........how about some support. Not everyone can do our jobs.....so if the scumbag didn't want to comply, you do what you have too. If he is hurt its his fault.

Police Instructor @ 3/27/2012 6:11 PM

I am a Police Instructor on numerous levels, Academic, Firearms, and more.
The video shows the arrest, but is missing a part between the cuffs going on and the suspect being dragged. I am curious to see that part.
Police work is not pretty, moving a 200 pound or more man laying on the floor and refusing to get up is no easy task.

According to federal Supreme Court ruling Graham Vs Connor "it’s not what I would do, or what you would do, it is what you are allowed to do" and if the man refused to stand up and refused to roll over, then he can be dragged.
I see so many comments here regarding how stupid these cops are. It’s easy to watch a video and tell us what a super cop you are. It’s different to get on the field put on the uniform and do the job. I think this will blow over, and it should. We should support our cops more and stop supporting the criminal. When you committ a criminal act you share responsibility regarding the outcome. The police are responding to your actions. This society blames everyone but themselves.

Tony @ 3/28/2012 12:58 AM

kind of a drag huh? perhaps the floor needed mopping; of course they had to drag him across the floor; have you ever tried pushing a guy in that position? At least he was well-grounded.

gk @ 3/28/2012 5:06 AM

he got off real easy,I hope they gave him a good beating in the office.

Commander / MPS DOPS @ 3/29/2012 6:06 PM

Not clear why this guy was not walking on his own. I don't think the PD dragged this guy just to drag him. Let's hear the PD side why.

Chris @ 3/30/2012 8:31 AM

I honestly don't see a problem with this. You obviously have a mentally deranged individual who is not cooperating. They are in a crowded airport, where a presidential nominee is arriving. The last thing you want is a "scene" when a VIP is arriving. If he will not walk, then you have to do whatever is necessary to deescalate the situation and remove him. I agree it looks bad, but it is only one point of view. A camera doesn't always show the whole picture. At least they were dragging him on what appears to be smooth tile, and not concrete or some other type of rough surface to cause injury. And one last thing, carrying someone who isn't going along with the program can cause serious injury to an officer. I've seen it before.

Jason @ 4/2/2012 6:57 AM

All of your bleeding heart comments are what is making America too weak. IF you are that stupid, you should be so fortunate as to be dragged out on your face. GOOD JOB GUYS!! Maybe all of the stupid, lawsuit-happy idiots who feel like their "rights" have been violated will think again. He's lucky his teeth didn't get knocked out.

richie hughes @ 5/9/2014 5:21 PM