N.C. Trooper Kicks K-9 Partner

A court has ruled that former North Carolina Highway Patrolman Charles Jones should get his job back. Trooper Jones was fired, after cell-phone video showed him kicking his K-9 partner.

February 09, 2012
4239 views

Tags: K-9 Units, North Carolina Highway Patrol

Scotty @ 2/9/2012 1:56 PM

I think the officer should b tied up and kicked just like he did the K9. It's ashame that these type of officers are the ones that make good officers look bad. I disagree with the court system on this verdict. He doesn't deserve his job back. He deserves to b in jail!!!

Dan Birdsley @ 2/9/2012 1:58 PM

I am not a K-9 officer, but I do write policy for our agency. Nowhere in that policy is this kind of behavior advocated or approved!

Stan @ 2/9/2012 2:08 PM

How is he qualified to be an officer, when he barely qualifies to be a human? If he does this to a dog that cannot defend itself, it makes you wonder what he might do to a handcuffed prisoner who cannot defend himself.

Rick @ 2/9/2012 2:21 PM

If he wasn't a cop that would be considered assault on a police officer and there'd be jail time for sure. I hope he never gets another job.

Frank @ 2/9/2012 2:24 PM

I think the officer should be fired. If it was a human being their would be a lawsuit filed against him and the Department. I say watch this forum, a few years down the road he'll be caught doing the same thing to a citizen. Hey do you kick your wife and kids?

Ron Friend @ 2/9/2012 2:30 PM

THis is a disgrace. He does not deserve his job back. If he saw a civilian doing the exact same thing would the civilian be arrested? I am sure that would be the case. I am also sure the civilian would have been prosecuted. I was a K-9 Officer, Instructor, and supervisor for the U.S. Customs Service/Homeland Security for 35 years. If I saw a student doing what he did the student would be fired.

Skip @ 2/9/2012 2:39 PM

Will N.C. hire Michael Vick next ? Had this not been a "police officer" there would have been an arrest. In Law Enforcement , we who enforce the laws, are supposed to set the example. Maybe we need an ashamed ribbon for our badges,

Keith @ 2/9/2012 3:30 PM

Fire and fire again. Keep his A** fired! "Loser Trooper"

Android @ 2/9/2012 3:59 PM

What a disgrace. He should brought up on criminal charges! If you would do that to an animal what would you do to a human!

bms @ 2/9/2012 4:07 PM

He should not get his job back. Neither should any other officer who treats his partner the way this guy did. Hopefully the dog recovered, and is in a good home.

Mike @ 2/9/2012 4:20 PM

Can you believe he just got his job back??

Thomas @ 2/9/2012 4:22 PM

This once again goes to show what happens when departments give in to pressure to hire beta Bitches instead of Alpha Males. Beta bitches will abuse the weak everytime. Alpha's do not need to prove themselves by demonstrating this kind of unlawful abuse.

David @ 2/9/2012 4:42 PM

He made Sergeant and does this to a defenseless animal. He must work by himself because a reasonable officer could not trust him to have his back. These type of action as well as the ruling to return him to duty is why the public has lost faith and trust in out police departments and the legal system. Shame on him.

Wayne @ 2/9/2012 6:16 PM

I oversee a department with 32 dogs. If I ever saw one of my handlers doing this the dog would have been taken away immediately. This guy has no business being a K-9 handler or a police officer !!

BW @ 2/9/2012 6:25 PM

Gets his job back AND backpay? Why? What were the courts smoking?!

BW @ 2/9/2012 6:30 PM

Guess I shoulda read the article... The video is from a training session. He was acting according to THEIR policy. So yes, he deserves his job back since a. he was acting in accordance with policy, b. "In 2007, an employee advisory commission recommended reinstatement. An administrative law judge came to the same conclusion in June 2008. The state Personnel Commission followed suit in October 2008, and in January 2010, a state Superior Court judge entered the same finding." The department is to blame here. The officer is still a tool for his actions, but he never should have lost his job.

IBM @ 2/9/2012 8:20 PM

Ahh...another reason for the police. A cop's best enemy is him/herself. This guy is a moron.

RetMarE7 @ 2/9/2012 8:52 PM

It would be interesting to see if the 9th CIRCUS Court of Appeals was involved in restoring this ASSHOLE to duty. Hopefully he has been reassigned to maintaining the pencil sharpener or maybe that would be above his level of competence. How did this 10%er slip through the cracks so far as to become a SERGEANT? NCHP needs to re-evaluate its hiring and retention practices. Or maybe, well, it's just hard to figure how this one went sooooo wrong.

Andy @ 2/9/2012 9:10 PM

Being a retied K-9 Officer and was originally responsible for getting the K-9 program started in our department, I cannot understand how a Judge or the courts would condone this. There should be a recall and look into the background of this Judge. The officer should be removed from the K-9 program as well as either be demoted. Better yet fired from the Departent

Rainer @ 2/10/2012 1:23 AM

......what a hero........for those assholes I have only one answer:
let him feel the same pain, only longer and harder....and after this kick him out of the job

Rainer @ 2/10/2012 1:32 AM

....and you, BW, you should get kicked out too! Why? You are the same kind of asshole (or tool) he is.....he is a self thinking human...or he should be.
So he and not the departmend is to blame for this kind of action.
I give you the order to jumb from a bridge.....would you follow this order? Mmmh....you would and he should!

Mike Hayes @ 2/10/2012 5:29 AM

How did this jerk passed a background and psych test!!! As a police officer I am digusted. As an admistrator I got three words "You are under arrest"

Eric Snow @ 2/10/2012 10:58 AM

WOW!!! K-9's better yet ALL service animals give there all to there handlers and yet you see things like this. what bothers me the most I guess is here is this police officer doing this and there are people who dream of being a police officer who shows no respect for himself his partner (K-9) and worst yet has disgraced his fellow officers and his department.

Shawn @ 2/10/2012 9:27 PM

Please don't make the mistake of believing this is an industry standard or acceptable in any way amongst honorable law enforcemet officers and/or canine handlers. We have a very hard job and too often, thanks to this type of idiocy, a very poor image. I am a canine handler and have voiced my shock with the department. My partner and friend offers me his all every day and I do my best to care for him with the honor he freely gives to me. This subject, jones, does not deserve a job. Perhaps the dog can bite him back as many times as he was kicked, as payback. I am saddened by what I saw there.

Beverly Tujague @ 2/11/2012 9:03 AM

He should be arrested for assaulting a police officer. Isn't the public convicted of that? Imagine, that poor thing will give its life to defend that jerks! Sociopaths abuse animals. He should be evaluated.

Jason Barnes @ 2/11/2012 3:13 PM

The K-9 cops I know have a good relationship with their 4-legged partners. I can't even imagine them behaving like this. What kind of a nutcase is this guy in the video, and why on earth should he keep his job. As an earlier poster hinted, animal abuse is an almost certain warning sign of a deranged personality. And as another person pointed out, a civilian who got caught doing this would face jail time. Speaking of jail time, since the dog is legally a police officer, wouldn't this qualify as assault on a police officer?

Kate @ 2/12/2012 7:01 AM

This guy's a POS! He's an embarrassment to the rest of us. Why is it that the court thought he was in the right?

Pam Conlin @ 2/13/2012 9:52 AM

I wish I could get him over to Fort Bliss, Texas and let our MP's 'care for him' the best way possible-K9 Gauntlet...all he has to do is get past 6 officers and their dogs(WITHOUT protective gear), then get past 6 more soldiers and the last one would be MY Drill Sgt who was Level 4 Combative Instructor.

He does NOT deserve to be a police officer and makes all have to prove themselves worthy to hold the badge.

gdg @ 2/13/2012 4:41 PM

I strongly agree with the court firing him. If he can kick his own partner like that, what about the people he's suppose to protect? It's ashame that these type of officers are on the police force. These are the ones that make good officers look bad. I strongly disagree with the court system on this verdict. He doesn't deserve his job back or be a cop. He deserves to be in jail and off the street!!!

Zim @ 2/16/2012 5:03 PM

After 32 years and being a supervisor, I thought I had seen it all. But to see an officer kicking his own dog while the dog cowers in fear is infuriating. This was not some part of training, it was animal cruelty. If the dog was not aggressive enough, just get another dog. I have no problem with the sergeant being fired. He is a supervisor and knows better.

Tactical @ 2/17/2012 9:37 AM

Disgusting behavior... Fire, Keep Fired, Heavily Fine and Imprison this Malfunctioning Sorry Excuse of a Man. My God yea I want this Douche out on the streets.

Kim @ 2/21/2012 11:55 AM

That is totally uncalled for and that handler should be the one hanging there getting bite in the butt by the dog. No animal should be treated like that ever.

CaDep @ 3/7/2012 9:30 AM

Here is a question for you guys, how can he be given his job back. Just like we saw the video, Defense attorneys will get it. He is worthless in court, he would be challenged all the time. A Jury would never be on his side. For the simple fact that he can't be in a court room, he is worthless as cop. Not to mention as a human being.