Utica Cop's Evidence Handling

The NAACP is questioning a Utica (N.Y.) Police officer's handling of drug evidence during this stop. Chief Mark Williams has defended the officer's decision to store the evidence in his pocket.

January 04, 2012
2772 views

Tags: Search and Seizure, Handling Evidence, Utica (N.Y.) PD

Mark A. Brooks @ 1/5/2012 8:39 PM

What's wrong with putting it in your pocket? Isn't that what pockets are for - to put things in? That's one of the first things I was taught early on - when searching someone, if you pull something out of their right front pocket, then you put it in your right-front pocket so you remember where you took it off the suspect. Leave it up to the NAACP to create some issue out of a non-issue.

Tammy @ 1/6/2012 5:44 AM

Why is it that when someone is busted for drugs or any other crime that it somehow becomes the officers fault? Why cant criminals take responsibilty for their actions, why do they have to put the spot light on someone else. I would refer to them(the criminals) as weak and spinless individuals. I agree with Mark that pockets are there for a reason and thats to put stuff in.

Concerned LEO @ 1/6/2012 6:02 AM

Today: He's planting evidence. He's a dirt cop. He should be fired.

Next week: The extended video shows him getting the contraband off of the suspect during a pat-down and putting it in his own pocket prior to the back-up Officer arriving.

Next month: The whole story is history and proves to have been a waste of time and bandwidth.

Why do we always get these snippets of videos instead of the whole thing? We have no idea where that contraband in the Officers' pocket originated during this stop based on this section of the video. Heck, that second Officer appears to come out of nowhere based on the video. I am sure the people that "need" to see the whole video will get to see it and they will take appropriate action.

David Agata @ 1/6/2012 12:35 PM

how else does he keep chain of custody???

TONY.V @ 1/10/2012 9:43 PM

I know the two officers, they are good honest cops & they would not plant drugs on anybody. I reside down the block from that stop.

JD @ 1/11/2012 4:37 PM

I agree with Concerned LEO, the whole thing is being misconstrude for the purposes of defending a, dare I say, black male criminal. Maybe the officer should have stoad it under his beanie? What the NAACP wants is to be there for every stop a white officer makes on a black street thug, I never see them commit on white street thugs. Or maybe if the officer was black this would have been a moot point, though I doubt it.