Deputy Wrestles with Retired Cop

Dash cam released Tuesday shows a Jackson County (Ore.) Sheriff's deputy wrestling with a retired deputy (at 1:15) during a traffic stop. Read the full story here.

November 10, 2011
6664 views

Tags: Retired Officers, Jackson County (Ore.) Sheriff, Patrol Car Video

Robert Cochran @ 11/10/2011 6:35 PM

The "retired" Officer was WAY out of line. As a retiree myself do I have a tattoo printed across my forehead that says , "don't worry I am a retired Police officer?", I don't think so. I think it is a good thing the big guy is retired, since he obviously cannot follow simple instructions. . . Stay in the car. . . How hard is that. He didn't even have a badge to display to the deputy or an Id. and If he had, the time to let him know that is at the side of the pickup truck. Whoever fired this cop for simply doing what his gut properly told him to do needs a lesson in procedure. I am glad he won the 200K He earned it. I just hope the little black ball doesn't haunt him the rest of his career.

Jim @ 11/11/2011 3:02 AM

Both made some pretty serious judgement errors, where is the retired officers money?

Greg @ 11/11/2011 3:13 AM

Why on earth was this guy ever fired. The retired Deputy is assuming everyone knows him!!! Retired or Active, always defer to the uniformed presence. sort out the detail later

bob @ 11/11/2011 5:01 AM

Kyle @ 11/11/2011 5:51 AM

Stay in the car means stay in the car. Simple. <><

jim @ 11/11/2011 6:31 AM

How hard is it to follow the simple directions to stay in the car? And as for the officer, the time for action is NOW. Any cop should know the procedure to follow when you are stopped. They do not necessarily know you. Stay in the car, cooperate with the officer, and see where it goes from there. Even the retired officer said he got out of the car and "resisted a little bit". It seems both were calm after the incident. It looks like good intentions, but sometimes there is a bad outcome. Certainly nobody should have been fired for this!

lawman94 @ 11/11/2011 7:02 AM

I dont like to judge other Officers because i wasnt on scene but maybe we all need more verbal judo on traffic stops? I been stopped outside my patrol area off duty and i have never felt the need to exit my vehicle? Not a good move.. I have also stopped older people who feel the need to get out of the vehicle and tell me they were a special deputy or a reserve officer from another area and ive asked them to get back into their vehicles. It happens.. So as brothers and sisters of the thin blue line lets show one another the respect that we sometimes dont get from the people we are sworn to protect. Take care and stay safe

bldhd @ 11/11/2011 8:05 AM

"bob @ 11/11/2011 5:01 AM
As a retired officer I am always respectful to the active officer although that isn't always the case with the active officer. Before I comment i would like to know why the man was stopped, I didn't see anything blantant. Then I'd like to know what the RPO said to the PO. He was pretty calm in the back of the RMP, even after being wrestled to the ground & hand cuffed. I didn't see the RPO make any overt moves, just the opposite. This leads me to believe the PO may have over reacted. But again I only have seen this video & not read anything. I don't think the PO should have been fired but I believe he did over react. I agree that they are both wrong to a degree & the RPO should have gotten back in the veh. & showed some ID."
I can't add to this. It's spot on.

Jeremey @ 11/11/2011 10:22 AM

Some peole sit here and make calls from the sidelines. Let me start by saying this, Not everyone will know you just because you are retired after 29 years, 2nd, you do not know what that officer had expierenced in the past, I do, I went to the academy with this officer and worked with him for some time. The calls he and I expierenced.....almost got us shot once, the exact same situation. 3rd, are you telling me that in 29 years he never had to deal with someone that would not stay in the car? Officer safety is #1, the goal is to go home after each shift. This was a great Deputy and a great man. He is no longer a police officer because of treatment of this Department and, it is a loss to any community because he was a very caring person. Jacob, you did it right!!! Nothing else matters. Keep up in your faith. As for the comand staff, it is just another example of B/S politics from people that have their own agenda and dont remember wht the streets are really like.

SP6468 @ 11/11/2011 11:01 AM

During the course of performing his duties this Deputy was fired. Did the motorist/retired officer have this much political pull to ruin a young deputy's career? The motorist should be ashamed of himself and be accountable for his actions: OBSTRUCTION of the LAW. This makes me sick...

Milt @ 11/11/2011 12:18 PM

When you are told to get back in the car, then ignore those instructions, start walking towards the officer and reaching into pockets, what did this retired officer think would happen? If this retired copper says he would not have done the same thing under these circumstances, then either he forgot alot of officer survival skills and got lucky that he didn't get killed during his career, or he is full of it. A little respect on his part towards the uniformed officer (getting back in the car when told, not reaching into pockets, etc.) would have changed the outcome of this stop in a big way.

Andre L. Hines @ 11/12/2011 12:42 AM

Yes, the RSDD should have return to the vehicle but the rookie could have handle the situation better, I did not see anything that led him to hands on so fast. I'm a 18yr vet in lawenforcement, slow down young man!

CLS1927 @ 11/12/2011 3:23 AM

As a LEO i support the officer....as a retired officer you should know stay in the car and do what your told! If the officer doesnt know you, that means he is going to treat you like a suspect so help yourself by not acting like a criminal. If you dont like the way things were handled take it to the department after or your day in court. There is no reason for the RPO to act like this.

Big City Cop @ 11/12/2011 7:31 AM

Stop already.......Facts! there was a traffic stop. Driver steps out of vehicle, he challenges the deputy. Words are exchanged, Driver, after he leans on car, is ordered to approach, again words are exchanged, as driver seems to be shuffling through documents the deputy attempts to do what and for what reason, what a unruly driver? How many drivers do the same thing. This is a lesson on what to do as a driver and what to do as an officer.... Sorry LE community The deputy cross the threshold of the use of force. Deputy was wrong. The fact that the driver was a retired cop, or a minority motorist going to the emergency room, or a screaming woman. Yes look at those past videos. As a Sergeant with a MA in police psychology. The deputy is liable. And for you non police or whatever else. HOW MANY breaks we give citizens. Remember that cop who stopped you last week, last month and than said have a good day. Yea we forget that!!!!! I am amazed at how a generation of officers react like this. across this country. Cops are getting fired for poor choices. You better know your job officers and learn to stand down, escalate and deescalate.

Mike @ 11/14/2011 3:54 AM

This is ridiculous. The retired deputy should have been taken to jail just as any other person would have for resisting. This is a perfect example of POLITICS. Any Officer on the streets would have done the same thing to the retired deputy. NO ONE is above the law, but this is a prime example of an Officer doing his job, and POLITICS taking his abilities to make sound decisions away. Retired or not, he is a dumbass and should be lucky that he didnt get tasered and taken to jail as he deserved.

Getem @ 11/14/2011 4:41 AM

The officer should have been fired!

John Wilson @ 11/14/2011 5:04 PM

When you are pulled over by a police officer, you follow instructions to the letter period! It doesn't matter if you are retired or not. The attitude of the retired officer was belligerent and disrespectful to the law enforcement profession.

As for the idiot that fired the deputy, you should have to pay the damges to him and not the people. What a bonehead mistake that was.

The Officer/Deputy should be reinstated and given all his back pay as well.

Tim @ 11/15/2011 12:38 PM

We use in car video cameras. I always tell my men to make sure you have your wirerless mic on. This would have given alot more information. The RPO when told to obey a command thought he was better than that. Its too dangerous for the active officers these days to be slow to react to failed to comply with my orders. On the other hand a little verbal judo goes a long way. Obviously the court felt the RPO needed to learn that when an officer tells you to get back in the car there are reasons for it. I suppose if the RPO got out of his vehicle and the officer said nothing and then the RPO got hit by a car a jury would have to ask why he didnt order him back into the vehicle. Wirerless Mics go a long way in protecting us.

scpdblue @ 11/15/2011 1:30 PM

I think the deputy over reacted,This deputy could have controlled of the situation without going hands on, and the retiree should have had a Jackson County Sheriff Dept.Retired sticker on the back glass of the camper shell or a Oregon DMV F.O.P license plate. What If this retiree was a bad guy,telling him to get back into his vehicle would have not been a good tactical decision.Case in point the young deputy in GA. who ordered the driver back in which the driver complied,then brought out a M1 carbine and killed the deputy on dash cam video.

scpdblue @ 11/15/2011 1:39 PM

Should this deputy have been fired?,The answer is NO. A counseling statement in his jacket? YES. Too many Red Bulls will do it to you.

jeff @ 11/15/2011 3:48 PM

The retired guy might not have did what the PO wanted him to do, bu tthe PO had NO right attacking the retired guy. He never did anything to constitute the PO taking him to the ground. the retired guy probably made some rude comment and teed off the PO.

DoesntMatter @ 11/17/2011 8:13 AM

Everyone here is judging this officer when they were not on scene. PERIOD. For those who said... "I didnt see the offense!" Nonesense. How are you gonna see the offense? Speeding, seatbelt, headlight etc...? I could go on. This officer did EVERYTHING by the book. What you have here is a "good 'ol boy" who believes that everyone knows him. This officer gave him several chances to do as he was told and he refused. PERIOD. He had no idea that this guy was retired and at the end of the day it doesnt freakin matter! Incidents like this will make another officer, in some podunk town, rethink his next move when faced with the same situation becuase of fear that he will get fired. Were taught to react quickly and violently in order to win a fight on the street. Thats what he did. Too bad this guy is out of the law enforcement. Thats the kind of officer I would want to back me!

squrt43 @ 1/24/2012 2:57 PM

I love the retired officer's "cold beverage" in the blue huggie sitting on bumper at the end of the video. What do you think was in that can, soda? I doubt it. He looks like he can put some drinks down. Where the on duty messed up is by letting him go after placing him in custody. If I were any criminal in that jurisdiction thats ever been locked up for resisting arrest (and actually charged) I'd have to bring this video to the local prosecutor wondering why the RPO got off.

Travis Davis @ 3/27/2012 12:07 PM

Im not a cop. But everytime a guy jumps out of his car when he stops = this ant gonna end well.

Joey H @ 4/26/2012 11:34 AM

Flashbacks! Performing his duty? Give me a break. Ok the big old retired guy is an idiot but the officer is wrong to go hands on because an big old fat guy in overalls doesn't listen to him...was his feelings hurt? Was he scared the guy was going to pull an uzi out of the stack of papers in his hand? Come on. If this is how he treats this old guy, imagine how he would treat your son or you? This guy is either a bully, is incapable of dealing with a stubborn ol coot, or worse crazy! Either way he has no business wearing a badge. I have no problem with using force when it's justified but this is ridiculous. You can't go around throwing people to the ground to prove your a man and that is what this is. The old "Do you see this badge?" mentality!

Wesley @ 5/3/2012 10:07 AM

That was horrible to watch.... But... it points out how easily events can turn from positive to negative in a fraction of a second, even when, the officer followed strict procedures. But to disallow a citizen the right to speak, which is his or her civil rights, or to explain his or her case whatever it might be is bewildering. I shall post this video at my web site....

The firing of the police officer might have been excessive, but so was his desire to overtake and physically subdue the retired cop, when there was no threat of violence on his part. This was a tough one to judge....

HONDO @ 1/28/2013 7:33 AM

WHAT WAS HE DRINKING ????

Lic. Juan Diego QuirĂ³s @ 5/25/2013 10:04 PM

Costa Rica

The best tropical country for retired, we can help with your proceeding inmigration and legal.

Attorney at Law Juan Diego Quirós Delgado