Albuquerque Student Handcuffed

An Albuquerque Public Schools officer who used handcuffs on an autistic 7-year-old has been placed on paid leave.

November 28, 2011
2768 views

Tags: Campus Safety, School Resource Officers, School Children

RICHARD @ 11/28/2011 6:42 PM

I WOULD HAVE HOBBLED AND GAGGED THE LITTLE SWEETHEART. DOES THAT MAKE ME A BAD RET. COP?

lawman94 @ 11/29/2011 9:27 AM

As police officers we **ALL** need to learn from this news report. """""Training"""" in the area of special needs persons is a must in our line of work so dont over look it. As a parent of a 7 year old Autistic boy i can tell you it is a full time job taking care of him but its worth it to me and my family. If he were ever restrained or cuffed like a criminal with marks cut into his wrists like this little one well lets just say id be living in a new house and someone would be spending what money they have left of their pension on attorney fees.

Take Care & Stay Safe

John @ 11/29/2011 4:33 PM

get over it...the kid should have been cuffed. The reporter even says "violent and extreme case". When the kid has been hitting people for "over 3 hours" as was also quoted, it's time for someone to step in and let him know that he doesn't get away with that nonsense. Sure, he's autistic, that's a concern here, but does it give him license to attack others and do whatever he wants without repercussions or proper? No.

I, for one, especially in light of the reaction to this mild use of restraint, would most assuredly not wrap my arms around the kid as is described to be the "proper" way. But then again, I've worked in juvenile detention and treatment facilities in the past where we were trained specifically NOT to do that because of both the personal liability and the possibility that the child had previously been sexually traumatized. When in doubt, CYA. Maybe the touchy-feely principal or the sue-happy mother didn't like the approach the officer used, but it was more than appropriate given the situation.

Tom @ 11/30/2011 6:01 PM

To John and Richard:
As the parent of an Autistic 12 year and a law enforcement officer of 16 years, I thank God above that you do not work the streets of my town. You show your ignorance with your uneducated diatribe. Either of you touched my kid like this, and a law suit would be the last of your worries. You demonstrate the major issue with law enforcement today. I am disgusted by both of you. Cops are only as good as our ability to adapt to changing circumstances.

Jim @ 12/2/2011 11:28 AM

I am all for using minimum or even reasonable efforts to control kids, but COME ON! This went on for THREE HOURS while this kid threw chairs, assaulted teachers (and maybe students), and ran away from those trying to control or restrain him. The mother gave permission for the school to restrain her son. And the principal, idiot that he is, said he would "sit him on his lap"! Well, I wish he would have tried that - and got the crap kicked out of him!

And as for the officer that said if someone had handcuffed his son like that, he would be living in a new big house, I have this question. If your son would have hurt anyone seriously, would THEY be living in a new big house - with you having to sell YOUR HOUSE to pay for theirs!

Out of control is OUT OF CONTROL, no matter the size or the age. They tried other means of control and it did not work. This kid was certainly a danger to himself or others. Better to leave marks by handcuffs on this kid than letting him run around hurting others.

Our RCW defines "Necessaary" - and this "use of force" (handcuffs) was absolutely necessary. Get over it!

John @ 12/4/2011 11:09 AM

Maybe children who are prone to prolonged, uncontrolled, violent behavior should be kept at home.

Bob@Az. @ 5/15/2012 8:47 AM

I wasn't there. But then again, neither was the the principal (?) or the mother who took 3 hours to arrive. Why was the Officer called? Maybe because the school staff couldn't control the boy? It's so much easier to just " blame the Cop". Hope the lawsuit gets tossed and the Officer finds a better Dept. to work for.