N.J. Cop's Arrest of Mentally Ill Man

Passaic (N.J.) PD's Officer Joseph Rios was suspended in June of 2009, following his altercation with Ronnie Holloway, a 49-year-old schizophrenic he arrested at Main Avenue and Summer Street. The officer had ordered him to zip up his sweat shirt.

August 06, 2011
2784 views

Tags: Passaic (N.J.) PD, Mentally Ill Subjects

deportega @ 8/7/2011 7:46 AM

WTF!.. how about the female officer. How many days off did she get for failing to assist her partner. I would have finished with the looney bird, then kicked her ass for being worthless!.

David Barringer @ 8/7/2011 6:51 PM

That female ride along should be fired. I wouldn't let her be my partner. Partners help each other. She was walking around looking for her head..... I think I know where it was.......

Jason Simms @ 8/8/2011 7:31 PM

Perhaps the female officer simply has a different understanding of the meanings of "contact officer" and "cover officer."

Joshua @ 8/8/2011 9:46 PM

The female officer was probably thinking she didnt want any part of the excessive force being used. Now before all the web heros chime in, I have had to wrestle people that were twice my size that suffered from MR. They resist because they are afraid, you know because they have the mind of a child.

Randy @ 8/9/2011 4:37 AM

The female officer should be fired !!! I hope that the officers on the dept. refuse to work with her in the future. Had I been the officer who was suspended I would have whipped her ass and then had a REAL reason to be suspended !!

scpdblue @ 8/9/2011 8:26 AM

You are all right when it comes to the female officer.. Maybe I am missing something here., question is Why would you even get out of your unit to grab this guy if all he did was not zip up his sweatshirt when told to do so,maybe he didnt want to? If the guy was not exposing himself then there was no need to use force against him and if he did resist thats when the female officer should have help take this man to the ground. There was no need to dance around with him. If resisting take the suspect to the ground,cuff him and stuff him,simple.

Laura @ 8/11/2011 1:33 PM

Maybe I'm missing something because before the officer laid his hands on the man, he did zip up his sweatshirt. The male officer may have been using excesive force but he intended to arrest the man the female officer should have at least assisted with putting handcuffs on the man. If I had behaved like her when I was on the force no one would want to work with me!

Joshua @ 8/11/2011 8:27 PM

Wow randy, you sound like a bad man. You actually sound like an insecure little prick that prob has no friends in his department. There was no reason for the initial contact made on the subject.

KAK @ 8/22/2011 7:24 AM

So, let me see if I understand........if any of you had a relative w/a mental deficiency, you'd be okay with this going down with that relative for an unzipped sweatshirt? Who, quite possibly might not even understand what was being asked of him? I guess none of you have had any CIT training! And as for the female.....the only thing she's guilty of, is not STOPPING this excessive force on this man.

Timecop @ 9/6/2011 8:21 AM

At first, I also thought what the f@#$ is the female officer doing, but on second thougt, I don't know, if all of a sudden your partner starts beating the crap out of a guy because he is not zipping up his sweatshirt, I would probably step aside as well. And she did take the baton away from the officer (maybe to prevent a more severe beating or triying to stop?). Us cops are very quick to scrutinize what everyone else does (from the comfort of our computer, of course), but you have to be there to know what really went on.

LEE @ 11/18/2011 7:00 PM

First off...Everyone is right about the female...Not a good partner at all...However, she almost had the right idea not to get involved...A mentally ill person who fails to zip up a sweater hardly seems like he is in need of a "medical rescue" use of force when you barely spoke to the guy and can not conclude they are 5150 in any way...I think they both need to be sent to a few training courses.

Random @ 3/24/2012 7:19 AM

If the contact officer assisted, the mentally ill man could have been place in handcuffs more easily. Each officer had different view points. The male officer could have seen something she did not. It was her job to assist taking him into custody. Then she could deescalate the situation.

For example: Mentally ill should be treated like people doing somthing odd. It is not their illness that is the problem, it is their inten and motivation.

You area driving the Grave shift in a residential. You notice a man running with a 150lb boxing bag.

You signal him a by a of tap your siren and he stops. First speak slowly and ask, “wan-to put down the bag for a minute, I’d like to speak with you for a moment.” If he puts down the bag voluntarily, ask “where are you going?” This is an ice breaker. At this pint most individuals spontaneously explain why they have the bag. This explanation is a good sign. If there is no spontaneous explanation, mental illness is likely. Always get further info about the activity by asking. “Why are you running with the bag?” If he says” "I did some strong meth" you have an arrest" If he says “I’m trying to become a fire fighter”, there really is no problem. If he says, “I want to fight MMA!” then you can enter this to his officer contact file. If he does not or cannot answer, he may need medical attention. By now you will know who he is and what his motivation is.

Then you ask “Where do you live.” This will determine if he is lying, as well as if/how he is taken care of. If the individual has a guardian, you can make arraignments for unification. If there is no guardian perhaps a visit to a medical facility is in order.

David Maso @ 3/24/2013 5:40 PM