Baltimore Officer's Encounter with Teen Skater

Baltimore Police Officer Salvatore Rivieri was terminated for failing to document a 2007 encounter with a 14-year-old skateboarder, who he berated for illegally skateboarding in the Inner Harbor.

February 28, 2011
2590 views

Tags: Baltimore PD, Traffic Enforcement, Citizen Video

Allan @ 3/1/2011 12:10 PM

No problem what so ever. This cop was forced to react like this, because it is apparent the kid has no responsible role-model in his life. This officer cares enough about the way youth act to attempt to get his point across. He might just save this little ingrate's life. Must be a weak command staff at this Baltimore Police Dept to allow this officer to be fired. Give him his job back w/deepest apologies!

Dom @ 3/1/2011 3:17 PM

Officer Rivieri should be reinstated but restricted to desk or some type of light duty for awhile before hitting the streets. I do agree with the first comment below, but he did overreact a bit too much when he forcibly took the kid's skateboard. He didn't deserve to be dismissed altogether, maybe 30 days unpaid leave would have sufficed.

jj @ 3/1/2011 6:31 PM

Kid should have more respect for police officers

romba @ 3/1/2011 6:33 PM

The kid should have been further disciplined by his parents for how he spoke to an officer

Jake @ 3/4/2011 3:17 PM

Are you all retarded? If a citizen wants to address a citizen on patrol as "dude" he/she has all the right in the United States to do so. For this poor excuse of an law enforcement officer to act this way toward a citizen, it shows he should not be allowed to be in a position where he could have power over people. He was not "forced" to act like this. He has a problem being called dude. The skateboarders and everyone else should not have more respect for law enforcement if they are going to choose to conduct themselves in this manner.

xbull @ 3/5/2011 4:04 AM

From what is saw in the video, I think this officer overeacted way too much. He should'nt have gotten fired ,however, I think he could've handled the situation differently.

Michael @ 3/30/2011 10:03 AM

The Officer went overboard and needed to be in ANger management class. The kid was a minor, and for the officer to put the kid in a headlock taking away his skateboard was mis use of his power as a police officer. The officer should have called backup, before taking action.

Jon @ 6/8/2011 11:39 AM

I used to skate when I was that age, and in Chicago no less. We had plenty of run-ins with officers, and it never went this far. I can tell you one thing for sure, these kids just lost all respect for law enforcement. This officer went about this all wrong. His attitude from the start wasn't going to get him cooperation. You don't approach kids with that kind of attitude unless it becomes necessary. Starting off by telling them, "I'll smack you upside the head" certainly didn't help matters. And "somebody is going to kill you?" Really? This officer makes other officers look bad. Put tubby behind a desk where he belongs, the guy is a liability.

Tactical @ 2/17/2012 1:14 PM

Nazi Idiot in his WTF? Use your words Officer? work better on kids than hands on.

Random @ 4/8/2012 3:50 AM

I feel officers can learn from this. The child used a colloquialism. The colloquialism was interpretive through the officer’s background. To the child "dud" is a friendly term to ease tensions. To the officer was an informal term that felt disrespectful.

For example, if I as a child used this term in front of my uncle from California he would be happy. If I used this term in front of my father from Arkansas he would tan my hide.