Detroit Eliminates Gang, Tactical Units

The Detroit Police Department will eliminate its gang and tactical units to add about 100 officers to homicide, criminal investigations and traffic enforcement. Interim Chief Chester Logan, Mayor Dave Bing, and Commander Frankie Lewis discuss the rationale behind the move. Read the full story here.

January 23, 2013
1842 views

Tags: Detroit PD, Patrol Resources, Budget Cuts

Frankie @ 1/24/2013 7:17 PM

This crazy. It should be the other way around more cops should be activated on these units.

Bo Jacobs @ 1/25/2013 6:36 AM

I would have to agree with Frankie. Try and get the money for more cops to stregthen up all departments of your agency. I am a full time gang unit member and believe me it takes all of your time keeping up with these members.

Mark Poulos @ 1/25/2013 7:03 AM

At first glance I would agree that disbanding specialized units could have a negative impact on the gang problems in Detroit. However, I would commend Chief Logan for the strength and commitment to make the officers on the street safer. Chief Logan is dismantling the gang unit but is placing that knowledge and experience back on the street which will ultimately make the community safer. I have served in specialized units and agree they can be a full time job. When I went back to patrol, I took the undercover experience with me.

T @ 1/25/2013 7:58 AM

Well, there goes Detroit....

Jacob Wallace @ 1/28/2013 12:42 PM

It is probably to divert money to the RoboCop program.

frank frontiera @ 1/29/2013 9:19 PM

I favor JUSTICE....................So if it takes and I believe it doe's mean capital punishment is a must have WHEN Warrented,im tired of Seeing youre dept NOT do its job,in the old days the big four was on the streets not that I advocate abuse however it worked warning kids that if Youre out of control Youre being dealt with and as I think of budzyn n nevers and malice green I sympathise how ever Either do Youre job OR expect people to continue to remember and not want any connection with detroit this is my commentary