Hide and Chic Purse Holster - DeSantis
This women's concealer offers an ingenious hidden handgun compartment that is...

City Council Approves Seattle's First Female Chief

June 24, 2014  |

Vowing to create a police force “second to none,” Kathleen O’Toole was sworn in as chief of the Seattle Police Department on Monday afternoon, shortly after the City Council voted 8-to-1 to confirm her for a job that will immediately test her ability to carry out federally mandated reforms, restore morale throughout the ranks and rebuild community trust.

With her husband, Dan, and adult daughter, Meghan, watching, O’Toole, 60, took the oath from Mayor Ed Murray, who nominated her May 19 after a nationwide search, the Seattle Times reports.

O’Toole became the first woman to be confirmed for the job. She served as Boston’s first female police commissioner from 2004 to 2006.

Tags: Seattle PD, Police Chiefs

Retired NY Boss @ 6/24/2014 6:50 PM

Wonder how I knew it was the resident Marxist who voted against the Chief?

Chicago Sam @ 6/24/2014 10:56 PM

Just like in Chicago. What a slap in the face to the officers in the Seattle Police Department. Didn't the city fathers develop any people through the ranks there, male or female capable of taking over that job. That is a failing on their part. Just like in Chicago with the last two outsiders as Superintendents, her job will be to act as HATCHETMAN. Cut costs, run the department on the cheap, fudge the crime stats just like in Chicago, the department and the citizens be damned.

Chicago Sam @ 6/24/2014 11:05 PM

P.S. to above. Some of the best cops I ever worked with on the Chicago Police Department were women. A few of them had gold star rank and would have made good Superintendents. But the past two mayors of Chicago wanted HATCHETMEN and brought in a FBI agent known as an inept coward and NYPD cop who has the personality of a weasel. Both have cut the department almost 15% in manpower and our crime stats are not to be believed.

Greg @ 6/25/2014 5:39 AM

Seattle was looking for a hatchet-man...no surprise there since Eric "Not One of My People" Holder nailed Seattle with his mandated reforms. Officers turning in Tasers and reducing the number of lower level traffic stops and interdictions. 125 officers officially complained about the "reforms" dumped on Seattle police as unworkable. Why try and stop a drugged out thug, it's not worth the risks of being fired/sued/fined. This will not end well for the officers or the city. Although, as liberal as Seattle is, it'll work out fine for the politicians.

kevCopAz @ 6/25/2014 1:41 PM

I agree, most of the time when you bring in an outsider its to "change" (read tear down/destroy) a Police Department its a hatchet job. Between the Libs, the Feds and now the "hatchet gal" i am so very glad I never took the job in Seattle years ago!. There will be darker clouds then the rain clouds coming SPD way. They did miss a chance at one of the best people oriented Chiefs that I ever worked for (in 32+ years) , Frank Milstead. Former Phx. PD Commander and current Chief of Mesa PD. frankly the choice of a Lib female who can't seem to remain in in a given job very long over the likes of Milstead told me all that I needed to know about what the Mayor, the Feds (who I'm sure had a say in the choice) want done with SPD. GOD help you and your city. Remember you get what you deserve sometimes people of Seattle.

kevCopAz @ 6/25/2014 1:44 PM

Seattles choice (bad) for seattle) is good for Mesa Az. since Chief Milstead will remain here! I bet he didn't give the "right" answers to the Mayor when it came to "changing" the SPD and who should and would really run the PD. frank is not a puppet, can't say I can say the same for the one chosen based upon what I have heard from those that worked around her (note I said around not with)