Hide and Chic Purse Holster - DeSantis
This women's concealer offers an ingenious hidden handgun compartment that is...

Edmonton Police Add Hijab Headscarf Option to Uniform

December 09, 2013  |

Photo courtesy of the Edmonton Police Service
Photo courtesy of the Edmonton Police Service

The Edmonton Police Service in Canada has approved the option for female officers of Muslim faith to wear a police-issued hijab headscarf while in uniform, according to an agency statement.

Both the Edmonton police Tactics Training Unit and the Equity, Diversity, and Human Rights Unit worked with a hijab tailor to develop the agency-approved garment "designed to be simple, unobtrusive, and easily removed."

No Muslim women currently serve as officers with the Edmonton Police Service, but the agency wants to encourage members of this large area demographic to join its ranks. The local Muslim community is said to be supportive of this move to allow Muslim female officers to wear the traditional headscarf that covers a woman's head and neck, but not the face. Wearing the hijab on duty has been a controversial topic for other agencies, most often because of safety concerns.

"After rigorous testing, it was determined that the headscarf did not pose any risk to the officer wearing it, or reduce officer effectiveness, nor interfere with police duties or public interactions," the release says.

Tags: Uniform Accessories, Women's Uniforms, Edmonton Police Service

notmeofficer @ 12/9/2013 3:55 PM

What a bunch of PC hooey. What next,, drag queen outfits for gay officers.. or kilts for Irish officers...

"Interfere with public interactions" Hell yes it interferes with my perception of the officer standing in fornt of me.. that they have been given special privileges that other officers cannot have.. and for me personnaly I find anything with the Muslim faith highly offensive...

Until I see Muslim soldiers ..police.. and first responders by the thousands killing Jihadi or preventing them from killing me... I say... bunk to anything involving the Muslim religion

Forget me ever taking my tax dollars to PC Edmonton...
but what do I know.. I thought our uniforms were just that... uniform

John Simson @ 12/9/2013 4:18 PM

It is disgusting. Why can't we demand that Muslims adopt to our laws, our country, our rules? Why does everyone think we have to suck up to and kowtow to Muslims? The hijab is a reminder that Muslims have been given special privileges that no one else has. I haven't seen such a frenzy of stupidity since Canada decided that Sikh mounties could wear turbans instead of the traditional flat brimmed black hat.

What's the next stupidity on the way? Letting Muslims wear scimitars on duty?

RCMPDUDE @ 12/9/2013 7:44 PM

I'm not a Muslim, but how does this affect you? Sikhs have been given permission to wear their turbans. You guys sound like American white trash, if you're Canadian, shame on you both...shame..

kevin harris @ 12/9/2013 8:21 PM

RCMPDUDE, I am an American Officer (33 nears as one) why do you assume that just because you don't like the other folks comments that they are "American White trash"? Seems to me that shame should be on you for being ethnocentric yourself. Typical, you very liberal types feel that your opinion is valid then others. You are prejudice yourself "EH"? I agree with the MAJORITY that a uniform is just that UNIFORM and no changes based upon sex race natural origin or in this case religion. Jewish cops in skull caps? Females in dresses? Officers from the Caribbean wearing braids past their shoulders? If people want to immigrate great, respect your Culture and Religion but assimilate to the MAJORITY culture or don't come! Especially when it comes to government and authority. You represent Canadian authority not Islam. You are nor religious PD. You sir are a liberal fool who will lose his own culture to another "to be PC correct" Try that in a Islamic Nation and lose your head! Not in US!

Lenny @ 12/10/2013 1:29 AM

Wow, very quiet on this thread compared to when the story first broke and everyone's freedom was under attack by Sharia Law. Or was it after having it explained that a hijab isn't a niqab. Nothing like a silly little story of no cosequence to anyone to bring out the true racists. @notmeofficer, yes, "drag queen outfits for gay officers" coming soon. I wonder why you listed that one first. @ John Simson, I don't know why you can't force everyone to do things the way you want. Why don't you try your tirade out on the native people of North America or South America, or Africa and see what kind of response you get from them.@RCMPDUDE, I too am Canadian though not in LE(and I have made that very clear for some time) thank you, there is a lot of white trash on this site.@kevin harris, why do you Americans always have to tell all just how long you've been working? Doesn't impress me. We assume "that they are White trash" because of decades of history. Please explain "liberal types" if you can

Cam @ 12/10/2013 1:31 AM

To me it seems to be an officer safety issue. One more thing to grab and choke the officer, interfere with hearing, and seeing out of the corner of the eye. We must all compartmentalize things for the job, why not religion PC as well?

mike @ 12/10/2013 5:02 AM

When will they finally allow turbins? How about white, flowing robes? Capes? How about a Fez? War bonnet? Sombrero?

notmeofficer @ 12/10/2013 5:12 AM

lasd lifer here
Lenny...RCMP dude... I'd either of you is actually a policeman ... and that's questionable you would understand from the patrol officer's or deputy's perspective that we don't really want any policy that accentutes acknowledges or gives special creedance to ANY special class. what keeps us strong... and binds us together in brotherhood is uniformity and that we are all important to the mission and organization....
perhaps if 3000 of your citizens and 343 of your responders were blown up in Edmonton you might feel different....
the gay reference.... well that was an example of a station where I worked that went out of its way to cater to the gay clientele... and
deputies alike... I was happy to transfer to seb.... where the rules were clear... and no favorites were made.
if I was speaking to a female black policeman with a hijab I would be so turned off by her I one...wouldn't be cooperative nor helpful.... because I would immediately distrust her as someone who desires a special class and acknowledgement again.... when I see Muslim soldiers killing jihad I by the thousands.... or Muslim policeman by the hundreds aggressively chasing down and eliminating Muslim terrorists in our midst then I'll be more accepting of a religion whose guiding principle thru their Koran is eliminating me and free people everywhere

I wish I could discord with other police officers here and not PC correct lobotomized liberals.... we get enough of that on the street

john @ 12/10/2013 7:06 AM

@notmeofficer. Society and policing evolve. Gosh, this ain't a white good old boy profession anymore. There are cases, and this is one, where I believe we need to be inclusive. I have worked with the Canadians. They show more restraint, and get a heck of a lot more respect than we do. Your average cop up there is pretty smart, well trained, and highly professional. They are the warrior-cops that you seem to espouse. We would learn a few things. But of course, you refute that they are even cops. Evolve and come out of the swamp, or take you pension and do something else.

Lt Dan @ 12/10/2013 7:35 AM

Again, to a non-leo, this might be a moot point. So for the liberal lurkers, want to know a secret about what 6 year old boys and police officers have in common?????? Our neck ties are clip on's.
If you need clarification that this is to make a political point please read THERE ARE NO FEMALE MUSLIM POLICE OFFICERS IN EDMONTON.
That clearly indicates that the monies spent are to ADVANCE AN AGENDA. As before, I applaud any female who will step out of the often oppressive shadow to enforce the CRIMINAL CODE of her community.

Capt. Crunch @ 12/10/2013 10:14 AM

@ Lenny, go back to your closet and finish your can of Tuna.

Capt. Crunch @ 12/10/2013 10:14 AM

@ Lenny, go back to your closet and finish your can of Tuna.

Mike @ 12/10/2013 10:41 AM

Lenny is a tool!

S.S. @ 12/10/2013 11:03 AM

Im so glad to hear that lenny the tool resides in Canada and not here in the U.S. Thank God he's not l.e.o. from anywhere else either. The guy is a joke, and a complete moron.

Lenny @ 12/11/2013 1:30 AM

I see my detractors are up to their usual behavior. Completely meaningless and useless comments that have nothing to do with the article or the comments I have made. @Capt, I told you you before I don't comment on your foolishness. @Mike this is the second time you have called me a tool, but you have never said anything about the content of my posts. @SS, I have seen your drivel many times and I have also mentioned that I'm Canadian and not in law enforcement many times but I suppose your blind rage and ignorance only see me as an enemy. @ notmeofficer, I could try to list off your problems(the most obvious is your racism) but I would need to shave during the long process. To John, fellow Canadian thank you for your service and honesty, just don't agree with anything I have said, the usual angry boys on here won't speak to you any more.

Mike @ 12/11/2013 5:23 AM

Lenny......Say something worth commenting on and I will comment. Until then you are just a Tool trying your best to piss off a bunch of police officers on a police officer's blog.

Capt. Crunch @ 12/11/2013 10:48 AM

@ Lenny AKA the Tool, tell me Tool, how much does a can of tuna cost in Canada?

eodk9trainer @ 12/11/2013 3:10 PM

The level of immaturity here can really be embarrassing. How about discussing the issue at hand and leave the insults to the bad guys we deal with.

Capt. Crunch @ 12/11/2013 10:33 PM

@eodk9trainer, WTF, I want to know how much the Tool, pays for a can of tuna. I want to know what a bad guy pays for a can of tuna. WTF, is your problem.

TheRookie @ 12/12/2013 6:53 PM

RCMPDUDE, & Lenny, You ramble on about being open to change. Wearing a scarf over ones head in Canada is more for warmth than religion. I know I grew up in Williston ND, and my sons live in Crosby ND (Poor Men). It is so blithering cold, desolate, and tundra that it takes special people like you two to even live there. So by all means don't worry about us U.S. White Trash L.E.O's. ever wanting to venture up to work in your part of the artic. And, by all means stay in your country & slobber over the P.C. laws of love, peace, and harmony..

Greg @ 12/13/2013 4:30 AM

I hate dhimitude...the infidels having to kowtow to the religion of peace. We have worse in this country though, look at Dearborn. Mooslims are having a march and several Christians are passing out literature. The C.O.P. and his officers watch and arrest the Christians for being there. A mooslim beats up an infidel who dares to knock muhammed...the judge accepts the mooslims excuse that he doesn't tolerate insutling the prophet and finds the man innocent. Lots more important than an ugly officer in a scarf.

FireCop @ 12/16/2013 11:57 AM

I grew up in Canada, and am now an LEO in the southeastern US. One story I remember was a couple that I worked with in the Canadian prairies who came from South Africa. They said they came to Canada (and put the US in here also) to get away from the horrible way of life in their homeland. The last thing they wanted was to make Canada (the US also applies here) resemble where they came from. They came here because of how great it is and to get away from the way people are treated in their home country. These issues are not about being prejudiced or favoring one type of person over another. These issues are all about Canadian (and US) identity. When you start trying to please everyone, you end up pleasing no-one. Yes both countries are multi-national melting pots, but they are Canada and the United States. Nothing less and certainly so much more (otherwise who would want to come here?). Stay safe.