Hide and Chic Purse Holster - DeSantis
This women's concealer offers an ingenious hidden handgun compartment that is...

Ariz. Lt. Demoted for Racy Photos, Video

February 05, 2013  |

Screenshot via Tucson News Now.
Screenshot via Tucson News Now.

A Tucson (Ariz.) Police lieutenant has been demoted to sergeant, after an internal investigation revealed she sent racy photos and a video to another officer.

Sgt. Diana Lopez, who formerly served as the agency's public information officer, allegedly sent sexually explicit photos of herself, including one wearing a Tucson Police T-shirt, and a video to a subordinate officer. She had a relationship with the officer from May to August of 2011; she was promoted to lieutenant in July.

In a disciplinary report, Assistant Chief Kathleen Robinson said Lopez used "extremely poor judgment in sending these images, undermining her credibility as a commander."

Tags: Tucson PD, Officer Disciplined

Brad @ 2/5/2013 1:45 PM

This is not the military, police officer's have a right to date who they wish as long as they are of age. It's not like she sent the pictures to the media, she sent them to another officer that she was dating. Poor judgement, maybe, but not my business. To demote her to Sgt. for this, I think the dept will have many more demotions coming if they are going to be fair.

Hoshi @ 2/5/2013 1:55 PM

Other than the guy who got them Who Cares?

Steve @ 2/5/2013 2:04 PM

Where's the pics?

JFreeman @ 2/5/2013 2:10 PM

So why was she demoted? Is there a no fraternization policy? Was it over work email? This doesn't sit right without more info.

R Harter @ 2/5/2013 2:23 PM

I agree with Hoshi and Freeman. If it was not violating a policy then how does it damage the morale and welfare of the department? Smells of personal feelings to me.

T.L. Kiser @ 2/5/2013 2:51 PM

Once it's on the internet, it's everywhere before long. Most departments have social networking prohibitions. The department I work at would have fired her and that would be the end of it.Instead of being angry at the department, she should be angry at herself for her behavior and having the uniform on during that time. Police ARE held to a higher standard (at times, unfortunately). I'll be looking for those pictures and I'm sure they will be available real soon.

Joe @ 2/5/2013 4:42 PM

Pics, or it didn't happen.

RICHARD ISAACS @ 2/5/2013 6:06 PM

they keep crying that there aren't enough police but keep making life miserable for them.

mrm @ 2/5/2013 6:13 PM

Just like any other job law enforcement personnel cannot have relationships of that sort with people ranked under them. It is a conflict of interest.

IAB @ 2/5/2013 6:19 PM

-Conflict of interest
-Poor Judgement
-Comprimised her credibility as a commander
Do you want someone like her as you're LT having an affair with a subordinate in another squad?

kckiss @ 2/5/2013 6:25 PM

I need to see the pics and video to make a judgement and it may take a while ;> Get real they are people and dating how this hurt the PD other than some one being jealous or now that they are not dating anymore, making someone mad ;<

John @ 2/5/2013 6:27 PM

Most of us Police Magazine readers will probably need to see large & clear photos to be able to render our opinions. The article said racy photos, not nude photos. Perhaps what is considered racy in Arizona wouldn't be considered racy here in the Progressive Republic of Washington. A place where one can legally grow their own marijuana and then smoke it at their same sex wedding.

Jim A @ 2/5/2013 6:52 PM

This is meant strictly as a joke: I would not mind at all having a Lt. like her or having her send pictures of herself to me. But my wife would be really mad!

There certainly must be more to this story than just the pictures - but they cannot tell us that. But all of us know that if the man at the top wants your badge (or your demotion), he will kick, scratch, target, and eventually find a way to get it, whether it is right or NOT.

But seriously, a Tuscon P.D T-shirt? You should have known better than that one. Even if you CAN legally do it, should you? The answer (very obviously) is no!

Former lawman I @ 2/5/2013 7:01 PM

I began my LEO career at age 20. My city mgr gave me some good advice. 3 things that messed up police officers...whiskey, women/men and guns. That's what she gets for messing around with a subordinate. You can't do this today. The relationship later fails, then further issues happen. Sexual harassment issues cause lawsuits...very poor judgement on her part. Obviously, policies she violated cause her demotion. She should move on and be glad she wasn't terminated!

Capt. Crunch @ 2/5/2013 7:18 PM

Never defecate where you eat.

Andrea Rockefeller @ 2/5/2013 7:43 PM

As a 17-year law enforcement veteran, this is absolute B.S. If a male LT had been the sender, all the guys would've been high-fiving and no one would've claimed he was undermining a damn thing! If she's good at her job, and this was strictly between she and someone she was involved with (and not supervising), no harm - no foul. Based on the information I've read concerning this case, Tucson PD is holding her to a double standard and that's truly pathetic ...

Michael @ 2/5/2013 8:12 PM

I completely agree with most in here...who cares?!?! Last time I checked they're both adults, she didn't send them all over the net nor did this during shift so what's the big deal?

Our society sometimes loses focus to the fact that we are ALL human beings and that we do have a life after duty hours!

mindy @ 2/5/2013 9:50 PM

I am a female officer of more than 5 years. I have been hit on by single co-workers, (happily married) co-workers and co-workers with girlfriends. there is a double standard and if i could share one thing to female LEO's out there. just say "no". date and sleep outside your workplace. less respect from (most) male counter-parts is almost a given to us in this profession, sad but true.

DEADMAN @ 2/5/2013 10:40 PM

I'd be proud to have her wear my t-shirt.Did she break-up with subordinate because of promotion,then he got pissed and retaliated by posting pictures,that's what it looks like?Her demotion was petty,even if the pictures were nude,she doesn't exactly look like a heifer.Maybe a quiet 3-day suspension.I think it will be harder to do her job now and i wouldn't exactly give the ex a free pass,i'm sure he had something to do with it.

Dan @ 2/5/2013 10:42 PM

What standard is the male officer held to? Should he have started spreading the photos around? What other trust issues will he step on while on the job? Should you tell him your opinion about work at the baseball game after work? This is different than whistleblowing.

RAL @ 2/6/2013 12:29 AM

If the subordinate was not in her immediate chain of command, it should be no harm - no foul. In my Department we have officers married to officers of every rank and there is rarely a problem. Sounds as if the demotion may have had a jealousy factor.

RAL @ 2/6/2013 12:29 AM

Dan @ 2/6/2013 3:52 AM

To me the relationship was and is irrelevent, the real issue is how the department was made aware of the pics. My guess is either he(the subordinate) released or reported them or he was bragging about them and/or showing them off to his piers. It is also possible that someone who thought they should have gotten the LT position before her could have been instrumental in bringing these pictures to light. Any of these scenarios shows a certain lack of integrity on his part. As for the LT. well she is an adult and whatever the facts, the department acted how they felt they must at the time. Now, where are the damn pics? They must be foresically investigated to determine the actual level of raceiness! LOL

Dan @ 2/6/2013 3:57 AM

Check out this link for a more detailed story.

Sheriff Bill Watson @ 2/6/2013 4:26 AM

I'm an elected Sheriff and have over 185 employees. I'm not the Moral police. I don't own my employees, I just employ them. What they do off duty is no concern of mine, unless they commit a CRIME. Who they date is their business, NOT MINE ! I hold all of my employees to the same standard ! Maybe the P.D. should focus on MURDERS, RAPES and ROBBERIES instead of who is sleeping with who! WAKE UP TUCSON ! This is the 21st. Century ! Get your Head out of the sand ! How is the morale in your Dept.? Mine is GREAT ! Sheriff Bill Watson

mike @ 2/6/2013 4:48 AM

Maybe it was the Tucson T-shirt she was wearing in the photos she sent!

Bob @ 2/6/2013 5:08 AM

Does not upset me a bit - IF the president of the United States and several members of Congress can go a whole lot further (sex in all forms and ways) and get away with it, with absolutely NO real punishment for it! Why is this being done, we have become a nation with no principles or values anyhow, is this because she can not afford a high priced mouth piece? Leave her alone...... or is she going to be the first example for us getting back to what we used to be as a nation?

Sal @ 2/6/2013 5:14 AM

I enjoy the stories, but they are so short, where you know more information is needed. This story is another example. Was this done on work time, computer, how was it found, was he under her command ect...

Marshal @ 2/6/2013 5:27 AM

As long as the pics weren't sent on department equipment or time then who cares. They are adults. The article makes one think that when she got promoted they broke it off or they broke it off in 2011 and she was promoted in 2012. Either way who cares. Sheriff Bill, I wish more bosses were like you. You probably have a happy and professional staff. I am not sure where common sense went when people become bosses. Seems they forget where they come from and don't focus on the important things just the petty one. Maybe the chief in this case was upset he didn't get his own copies to view.

Doc @ 2/6/2013 5:34 AM

I think her Attorney will get her a check, because the bigger issue is that private pictures being passed around, is a violation of privacy between the 2 people. I see this going to Court, because some RAT was out to burn her.

JCPennin @ 2/6/2013 5:48 AM

Who cares. Why do women in police work have to be held to a different standard. If this was a male Lt. and a female officer this would not be an issue. Leave her alone and let her live her life.

Ken @ 2/6/2013 6:03 AM

Had this been a male Commander, he would have been terminated.

Juan 10-13 @ 2/6/2013 6:07 AM

Wow.....this is all pre-kindergarten stuff. You have two adults in a relationship and a jealous RAT! Kudos to Sheriff Bill. It's none of anybody's business.

Jim B. @ 2/6/2013 6:09 AM

There is just not enough info in this article to make a judgement. Were there specific policies that she violated? If so, what were they? It says they dated from May to Aug 2011 and she was promoted in July, presumably 2011. So they were already dating before she was promoted? When were the photos sent? Before or after the promotion? I'm not sure it should really matter but just curious. I don't see why her sending the pics should be a big deal. They were sent to a single individual, not posted on Facebook. The fact that he chose to pass them around makes him a bit of a d-bag, but I guess she took that chance when she sent them. Does TPD have a policy against supervisors dating subordinates? If so then it would come down to what was going on when. But it sounds like they are going after her for the photos, not the relationship. Doesn't seem right to me, but like I said, not enough info in the article.

Rod B @ 2/6/2013 6:23 AM

so they dated from May to August, she was promoted in July so was he a subordinate when they started dating?

Rod B @ 2/6/2013 6:24 AM

Jim Davenport @ 2/6/2013 6:29 AM

Here in North Carolina she would have to appear before the "police board" and they would take her certification away for 5 years. The woman has certainly lost the respect of her peers, is embarrassed before the public and probably needs psych. counseling. Sad.

John @ 2/6/2013 6:35 AM

Maybe I'm missing somthing. Was she using Departmental e-mail to send the pics? Did she do it on Department time? Surely she was not demoted just because she has a private life. Not enough information in the article to make any kind of determination.

drwlchonicki @ 2/6/2013 6:51 AM

Everyone is overlooking a critical element of this investigation. This embarassed former Lt. was in a TRUSTED relationship with a fellow police officer. HOW THE HELL did ANYONE else learn of these pictures & video?

Let's discuss the maturity and trustworthiness of the police officer who disclosed these PRIVILEGED communications! I've been in a police locker room... THAT officer's "high school jock" mentality should mark his use of discretion and promotibility to nothing more than a probationary Meter Maid.

Personally, I don't want THAT Officer backing me up in ANY situation requiring mature judgement. ~

bill j @ 2/6/2013 6:58 AM

Lets just let everyone do want they want and not discipline them at all, seems to be the attitude of many on here. Our society is so screwed up today and we all say that it is from lack of discipline and declining morals, but when we a police do the same type of things or at least things we know we probably should not be doing then God forbid that we get disciplined or punished, because after all many police officers feel that they are better than everyone anyway. If that is the way we feel then we better act like it. As a police officer and command officer on my 30 th year I simply say grow up, take responsibility for what you do, set an example, do your job, and if you need disciplined take it like a responsible adult. The "who cares" attitude is why we as a society are finding it easier to see more bad than good everywhere in the world. Come on folks lets act likewe should, we surely know deep down what is right and what is not and then we can expect the respect that we want.

Steve @ 2/6/2013 7:04 AM

The bottom line on this is that the Lt. used POOR JUDGEMENT. It sounds like THAT is why she was demoted. My guess is that she will promote back up sometime in the future and be all the better and wiser for having gone through this experience. I learned a long time ago that you don't trust even your fellow officers, not that they are thugs, it's that they are HUMAN. I learned not to tell a fellow officer more than necessary as we all know one of those guys that gets in a crowd and starts telling everything he knows, not maliciously but out of stupidity. Dating or married, this lady should have thought ahead to a time that MAY come where they split under bad terms and he, to get back at her, posts all the pics and video for the world to see. Could also be text messages or emails. As a result, a good department head did what should have been done. I hope the Lt. goes on to become Commissioner some day. I'm sure she will use this experience to better some other officer(s). I'd be curious to know ifthe ex-boyfriend "officer" received any kind of reprimand for doing what he did to a FELLOW OFFICER, not necessarily his ex-girlfriend?
United We Stand, Divided We Fall.
Think! Not only about immediate effects, but the ones that may come in the future also!

erik @ 2/6/2013 7:09 AM

Keep your Faith and your head up officer! Everyone dates a jerk at least once in their life. This crap will pass by just be patient.

Wylie @ 2/6/2013 7:12 AM

41 years in the Military & Police. A gentleman with integrity never compromises a woman, who in any manner has shared herself with him, in speech or action. Period

Steve @ 2/6/2013 7:15 AM

In law enforcement you earn rank through service and reputation. Honor and integrity are expected. We are all cops here, do you think the troops look at her the same after seeing the pics and video? I actually understand both sides of the argument. But after reading the other article and getting a few more details, I feel there should be a harder look at the male part of this who decided to share the pics and videos with the rest of the department. That was pretty low of him. Although like the rest of you in cop land, I would have been one of them that watched it.

Brett @ 2/6/2013 7:20 AM

This is why we can't keep personnel or attract them. We interfere way too much in our officer's personal lives. No crime was committed by the Lt. Her boyfriend betrayed her and acted like a juvenile brat. He is the one I would have disicplined and the one I would think has character issues. Sex is a normal natural thing (how the hell do you think you got here) and this was private, not on company time or computers, sent from a personal cell phone and between consenting adults. The problem is admin found out, apparently through foul means, and it embarassed them and they felt they had to do something so they looked PC. We all swore an oath to protect everyone's freedom under the constitution, that is except our own. Kudos to Sheriff Bill, I would proudly serve under someone like you. I am a 25 year veteran and hold the rank of Captain. I see this all too often and it ruins good people. I care about how you perform your duties and this would never have been brought to light without the boyfriend betraying the Lt. He is the one who I would dismiss for cause, not her.

davidobrien @ 2/6/2013 8:37 AM

I think that it was wrong for her department to do that and she should be reenstated as a lieutent since it did not affect her job.

Joe @ 2/6/2013 8:42 AM

What a joke! She was an adult dating this person, who just happened to also be a cop. So she sent him some racy photos, even some wearing a Tucson PD shirt Big Freaking Deal, they both work for the agency and were in a dating relationship, no law against it! It does not undermine her authority or abilities, she is an adult doing something that is perfectly legal. As for how the photos got out and to the Department, I would say they should be going after the ex-boyfriend for passing her photos meant privately for him to see to others and for being a big Wuss for getting her in trouble for something she should not have gotten in trouble for, and for screwing up a relationship with a good looking woman willing to send him hot photos!!!

Robocop @ 2/6/2013 8:45 AM

Why? She sent it to someone who has already seen her naked and in person. Presumably they have also been intimate so what in the world is the problem? How did it reduce moral and her ability to be a supervisor? These photos were sent ONLY to this one person. If it has been seen by anyone else then it is the Officer she sent them to that should be disciplined for showing intimate photos that were only meant to be seen by him and him alone. HE is the one who is creating any problems.

dpb @ 2/6/2013 8:47 AM

You can tell the ones whom have not been promoted, or ever will. They all support the Lt. Walk a mile in a supervisors shoes boys and you just might understand how this all works. Otherwise, forget about it. She was treated correctly!

Rev. Baker @ 2/6/2013 8:57 AM

I would first like to say that in at least the first ten - fifteen comments on this page are focused on the woman officer. BOTH should be held accountable for their actions, regardless of why these pictures surfaced. There is no way that the male officer didnt send pictures back or at least request them in the first place. I think everyone here is in agreement at least on the fact that they/she used poor judgement. Second, I personally believe that life is short and you should be able to find love wherever it finds you! As mature adults, they should both be able to seperate their love life and their work life. And third, without knowing the PD's policies on this matter, it is hard to say if her demontion was truely called for. BUT, I believe that the male officer should be demoted as well, since it does take two to tango.

Eve @ 2/6/2013 8:58 AM

I agree with Mindy. I have been a LEO for a little over 4 years and I am approached by single coworkers, married coworkers and everyone else in between. We all know that integrity, honor and reputation is everything as a LEO. Despite the Lt. (Sgt. at the time) CHOOSING to send the pics to her boyfriend...the boyfriend CHOSE to share the photos with the Department. It's the same thing we teach our kids... don't post anything you wouldn't like everyone else to see or know about. As far as the relationship is concerned, as long as the subordinate is not within her immediate chain of command, I could care less as long as they perform their duties. Officers are going to attract Officers of the opposite sex... we all look dang good, have a lot of the same goals in mind and experience things together. We live under a microscope and sometimes the "moral police" have no business being the moral police due to their own scandals. Her relationship had nothing to do with the Department...give the woman back her bars....Geez

oldcop @ 2/6/2013 9:20 AM

to dpb
You are so right. If you don't want to be held to a higher standard go drive a truck. You will probably make more money anyway.

Matt @ 2/6/2013 9:58 AM

I found the pics. Sure, they are sexy, but I've seen worse.

Jelly @ 2/6/2013 11:43 AM

I don't understand the whole internet "social networking" thing and why people feel it's necessary to send nude photographs of themselves. What's even more shocking are the comments from the officers that don't think it is a problem. Some write, "it was poor judgement", but "I don't think she did anything wrong". Isn't exercising GOOD JUDGEMENT what police work or a posistion of authority is based on? Sending nude or "racy" photographs of yourself puts you in a position in which someone could, "hold it over your head". Which in turn, could force you to make decisions contrary to your authoritative position. It falls in line with the same reason some departments will not hire you if you hold an unusual amount of debt.

john @ IA retired @ 2/6/2013 11:52 AM

I checked the link for the full article that was noted by Dan. One article says she was wearing a uniform shirt the other said she was wearing a Tucson Police t-shirt. Was she wearing a uniform or not? Why was the males name not released? Should there be some sanctions against him for passing the pictures and video around? Do we see a double standard here? Way too many unanswered questions here. No indication that she was using department equipment to send the photos or doing so on duty. Did she use poor judgment in sending the pictures? Probably. Are we held to a higher standard? You bet. People who are in a relationship share lots of things. From what I see in the two articles there is not enough for a demotion. Short suspension, possibly. Over reaction by administration yep.

Dave @ 2/6/2013 3:20 PM

I'll be the judge. Post the pictures here and let me decide.......

HERKEY @ 2/6/2013 5:37 PM

DAMN SHE IS CUTE!

Chris @ 2/6/2013 9:29 PM

Act like a Lady,think like a Boss! I spent 6yrs active duty military and have been in Federal LE for 25 yrs we all know in the military it's the UCMJ and in LE it's code of conduct we swear to it and sign on to it! Poor judgement on her part.

Vic @ 2/7/2013 2:23 PM

#1. Who was pissed at her or who did she piss off?
#2. No ones business....but poor judgement
#3. I haven't seen them. Who saw the pictures?
#4. The guy she dated was showing off pictures...no gentleman.

Cindi @ 2/7/2013 2:35 PM

It is interesting that it is all about the judgement of the female Lt. .. I have seen Corrections Officer females fired for relationships with male inmates ..while a male Lt doing the same thing was transferred "because he had trouble separating his personal life from his professional one" ...male LEOs caught receiving "oral services" on duty, married LEOs getting "girlfriends" pregnant/having "intimate relationships" with female LEO coworkers/ sharing "sexual content" pics at work/ bringing their girlfriends to PD break room for "dinner date" ...and I never saw one of them demoted or fired for their behavior. She used poor judgement!...just like many male LEOS with "party time" pics posted to facebook (when they "called off" because they were "sick"). Female LEOs like her help make it more difficult for the next female LT who may not "play" like she did...but will be told she is probably like "so and so" and not have the respect of/be "watched" by male LEO coworkers (although they don't treat male LEOs, of similar character, in a negative way) There ARE double standards.

Erik Johnson @ 2/7/2013 5:06 PM

I can see on a retrospect that other police officers dating other police officers because the way I see it this way you know who you're dating and isn't going to be a wanted criminal unless they're a criminal wearing a badge getting away with it and to hold a job like that you expect your other piers and co workers who are supposed to be trust worthy not to screw you over like that? I would if I could date a female police officer in the same profession, why not? That's where most couples are more likely to meet their significant others after all? Law Enforcement officers can't run a back ground checks legally on their dates after all or maybe they do I don't know don't care too much because you can just never be to careful anymore, but I want to truly believe something went awry and the ex wanted her to pull some strings and or favors by using her status and she probably didn't want to go with that and the relationship got complicated from then on. I'd look into his background and if not fire him. Its a double edge sword, why should she be stuck with what the lowlife did?

Commander Scott @ 2/7/2013 11:13 PM

First, it is poor judgement of the police department to demote her. They had better reinstate her, or they are looking at a lawsuit. She sent personal pictures to her boyfriend. He's the idiot who should be demoted for clearly lacking respect for his girlfriend and showing her private pictures to coworkers like a jack-ass.
The media and department should be put their focus on this idiot, but instead, they want headlines because she is a beautiful woman and they want to sell news.

Sheriff Bill Watson @ 2/8/2013 12:28 PM

Ms. Lopez,
First let me say "Keep Your Chin Up" ! Please don't judge all men by one immature little "PUKE" I, as other men were always taught that you never compromise a woman's reputation for ANY REASON ! I would also like to say that if you ever make it to Virginia and need a job, give me a call. I would be happy to make you part of "OUR FAMILY" I would also like to hire your EX, just so I could FIRE HIM ! I would like to know what type of action was taken against him ? As I said before, I treat all of my employees the same, male or female. I don't play the gender or race game. It's a known fact that will go to bat for my employees in the blink of an eye, just ask our ex-City Manager, I got in his face more than once ! I have never been able to understand why the higher you go in rank in the Police Dept., The "Holier than Thou" attitude gets stronger and stronger! It must be nice to be able to walk on water ! We all make mistakes, but we learn from them. I feel sorry for the next guy that wants to be part of your life. Will you ever be able to trust a man again ? I believe that Mr. Right will come along sooner or later and you will have a "REAL MAN" that will love you and treat you right. I wish you the best that life has to offer.
Sheriff Bill Watson
watsonb@portsmouthva.gov

William322 @ 2/12/2013 6:59 PM

Tell me again why Women are not a Liability as LE's or US Mils ?

lol @ 2/13/2013 10:04 PM

Sheriff joe watson seriously i see you bragging about being this moralized cop dude i looked you up and found this about you misusing company credit cards. there is no moral in that what so ever so keep tutting your own horn buddy. oh this is the link check for yourself

Sheriff Bill watson @ 2/17/2013 7:00 PM

Hey lol, I don't know who you are talking about, and my name is not Joe ! I'm not tutting any horn for anyone. You must be the one that stabbed Ms. Lopez in the back ! Do you suffer from E. D. ? You must have some kind of a problem. Maybe you like guys, who knows ? who cares ?