Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Baltimore Officer Shoots Teen Holding Replica Handgun

April 28, 2016  |

Police released an image of the replica semi-automatic pistol recovered at the scene. (Photo: Baltimore PD Facebook)

A Baltimore police officer shot a teen who was carrying a fake handgun Wednesday afternoon following a brief foot chase near Aisquith Street and East Baltimore Street, authorities said. The teen's injuries aren't considered life-threatening, reports Yahoo.

Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said two plainclothes detectives assigned to the department's intelligence section had been driving down the street in an unmarked police car when they spotted the young person with what looked like a Beretta 92FS semi-automatic pistol and identified themselves as police officers.

"It's a replica semi-automatic pistol, and I looked at it myself today. I stood right over top of it. I put my own eyes on it. It's an absolute identical replica semi-automatic pistol," Davis said during a news conference later that day. "Those police officers had no way of knowing that it was not, in fact, an actual firearm. It looks like a firearm."

The teenager took off running, leading to a 150-plus yard chase that ended with one of the officers discharging his weapon, he said. The boy was taken to an area hospital for injuries to a "lower extremity," according to police.

Volanda Young, the boy's mother, identified her son to the Baltimore Sun as Dedric Colvin, a 14-year-old in the eighth grade, and said he left their home with a BB gun. Police said he is 13.

At this point, Davis said, he has no reason to think that the officers acted inappropriately in any way.

Davis said he cannot wrap his head around why the teen would leave his home with a replica pistol in his hand, and said that no Baltimore officer wants to shoot a 13-year-old.

Nightstalker @ 4/28/2016 6:22 PM

Looks like a REAL gun, i would have taken his ass out myself.

kevcopAz @ 4/28/2016 7:03 PM

Guy in Cognito. Well we are also 10x larger and more popular then Norway. Further we are more integrated both Racially as well as ethnically and not as "white homogenous" as you in Norway are. Our crime rate is much higher as well. So don't compare us with your little insignificant nation, thats apples and oranges.
Perhaps if you had more guns there you would not have been taken over by the Germans in WWII and you still would be under their thumb if not for us gun loving Yanks. The cold must effect your thinking.

kevcopAz @ 4/28/2016 7:08 PM

Oh one more thing Guy, bet far fewer cops in Norway are assaulted and or killed by suspects. Did you read the other stories in this edition? Did you see that "weapon"? If you as an officer did not shoot that suspect, you would be an idiot or suicidal since I own a REAL Beretta 92F and it looks exactly like this "toy". Thats why they call it a "replica". Stop preaching foolishness and use some common sense.

Robert Hillsman, M.D. @ 4/28/2016 9:53 PM

Possibly just read the headline re. the 12 yr.old shot in Cleveland settling with the city for $6M dollars??

Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. @ 4/28/2016 11:06 PM

Right now we basically know nothing about this. My previous comment was premature. I don't know what happened so I'm withholding judgement until the facts come out.

OK then @ 4/29/2016 6:32 AM

At some point I wouldn't be surprised that the powers that be will come up w/ the brilliant idea of forbiding the police from firing first.

tedb @ 4/29/2016 1:20 PM

Is there a missing message from someone in Norway??? And my first thought on seeing this "Replica" was that it is a Beretta 92 or 96. What kind of idiot would let her son out on the street with this replica firearm if she felt the BPD was out to kill young black kids? Here is another prosecution for Marilyn Moseby to initiate, then let it die for lack of evidence as I am sure will happen in the Freddie Grey case. What a waste of oxygen these people are! And...SES...what previous comment??? My head hurts!

SES @ 4/29/2016 4:33 PM

The above comment was attributed to me, although I didn't post it. Percy most likely did. I actually believe the Officer was justified.

SES @ 4/29/2016 6:03 PM

SES @ 4/29/2016 6:10 PM

Well golly gee tedb, how do you think he does it?
He's pretty gosh darn smart.

Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. @ 4/30/2016 9:02 AM

I actually don't know that, it could be someone else. But whoever it is, its not me. Anyway, it seems that the Officer had a good reason to shoot this kid. The best thing about it is that everyone survived.