Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Video: Unloaded Gun 'Dry-Fired' at DC Officer's Head, Sources Say

April 19, 2016  |

VIDEO: Unloaded Gun 'Dry-Fired' at DC Officer's Head, Sources Say

An officer in the Metropolitan DC Police Department's first district "dry-fired" an unloaded weapon at the head of another officer during a roll-call meeting on Saturday afternoon, possibly under orders from a sergeant as part of a training exercise, four MPD sources told WUSA9.

Those sources say a sergeant later told officers in the room that he or she had secretly ordered the officer to unload his weapon and then pretend to fire on his colleague as part of a "training exercise" on situational awareness. The officer then pulled the trigger of the unloaded weapon while pointing it at the head of an officer until it audibly clicked, the sources say.

Both the officer who allegedly fired the weapon and the sergeant who allegedly ordered him are assigned to regular duties, pending an internal affairs investigation, said MPD spokesman Sean Hickman.

"I can tell you there are about seven different versions of the incident that are out there," MPD Chief Cathy Lanier told reporters on Monday. "I'm not sure which or how many of those that you've heard, but I prefer to wait until I see some facts and some direct statements of what happened before I make a judgment."

Ok then @ 4/19/2016 5:22 PM

I am a firm believer of training people to be aware of their surroundings but I don't think this would be my first choice of exercises.

Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. @ 4/19/2016 11:42 PM

This does seem like a strange training exercise, but nobody should lose their job over it. Besides the media could be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Percy, I'm glad you're happy to hear the Officers are back on duty. You're finally coming around.

JM @ 4/20/2016 8:30 AM

Well, I have been a cop for 30 years in about every assignment possible, including SWAT. The last several in admin and also internal affairs, I have to disagree, someone should be fired over this. I am very pro cop and know we have a tough job, but this kind of careless shenanigans is far from excusable. Too many cops are killed in training accidents for this to even remotely be considered acceptable. That's why we have plastic training guns, or training barrels to put in guns, so we don't negligently kill a fellow officer.

JWC6617 @ 4/20/2016 8:55 AM

The question is, was everyone in the room "in on it"?
What would have happened if another officer had taken action?
disaster...

tedb @ 4/20/2016 10:11 AM

Robert, I have to disagree...I do think that someone will lose a job over this. IF the information here is correct (I support Chief Lanier's "Wait for the facts" attitude) both the idiot sergeant and his idiot sycophant officer should at least be suspended if not fired. Remember that at roll call briefings, ALL the officers in the room are fully prepared for duty, including carrying loaded weapons. What if one of them had perceived that the other officer had apparently gone rogue and was about to shoot a fellow officer? It would have been a normal reaction to draw and shoot the person attempting murder, even if he was a fellow officer. A very dangerous game to play in such a situation.

PoPo @ 4/20/2016 10:22 AM

At face value...Stupidity at it's best. Not funny, not a good training moment. Fortunately the officer on the receiving end of this stupidity didn't overreact and shoot the other officer. I can't think of any scenario an unloaded (or loaded) gun is pointed at something they don't intend to shoot. We only use red guns for all hands-on training except building clearing etc. even then we check three times to ensure there is no live ammunition in the training area. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. If it turns out it not as reported, I will gladly eat my words.

kevCopAz @ 4/20/2016 2:38 PM

wow, this could have ended badly in so many ways, stupid.

Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. @ 4/20/2016 10:47 PM

Right now we basically know nothing about this. Its possible that a simple training exercise got turned into this wild story. My previous comment was premature. I don't know what happened so I'm withholding judgement until the facts come out.