Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Virginia Revokes Concealed Carry Permit Agreement With 25 States

December 23, 2015  |

Concealed handgun permits held by residents of 25 states will no longer be valid in Virginia, the state's attorney general said Tuesday, drawing swift criticism from GOP lawmakers.

Attorney General Mark Herring, a Democrat, said the state will revoke its reciprocity agreement with the states because their concealed weapon laws don't meet Virginia's standards. Those states hand out permits to people who are barred under the Virginia law, like fugitives, convicted stalkers, and drug dealers, which undermines the state's law and puts residents at risk, he said, reports the Associated Press.

The move means that Virginians will no longer be able to use their concealed handgun permits in six states that require a mutual reciprocity agreement: Florida, Louisiana, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Wyoming.

kevCopAz @ 12/24/2015 12:25 PM

Really, there are states that give permits to "fugitives,convicted stalkers, and drug dealers? I really find this hard to believe. IF this is the case I think all states should follow that path until those folks don't carry weapons legally. This is another reason why the Republicans should get off their rear ends and get national carry with strict requirements that apply to every state.

Leonard Mather @ 12/25/2015 8:23 PM

It would be informative to the readers to know what those 25 states are. Please list them.

Steve G. @ 12/26/2015 12:05 PM

It seems this is a way for the Dems to start their assault on gun owners. I live in Florida and if you want to buy a gun you still go through a background check. That's unless you buy at a gun show to go around the laws. But I'm sure that happens many places. The Dems are hell bent on the attacks on gun owners. Sod, but I used to vote Democratic, no more. I'm former L.E. as well.

Chuck W @ 12/28/2015 1:07 PM

These lying politicians would be funny if they were not so scary. Who in their right mind believes that there are states are giving out carry permits to fugitives, stalkers and drug dealers? sounds like someone's personal agenda is getting in the way of truth and facts. Get back in your clown car Herring and go back to Washington with all the other lying clown car driving morons.

ssc1911 @ 12/29/2015 2:36 PM

Based upon what information does the current AG of Virginia. What criminals is he referring to here? Carry permitees have to go through a background check, bad guys don't. Gun groups in VA and the Governor should call the AG to task on this and make him accountable for his actions in this matter. The AG is a Democrat, and probably anti gun. Upon taking office as AG of Virginia, he took an Oath of Office to uphold the Constitution of this country. It may tough to remove the VA, AG from office.

Walt @ 1/1/2016 8:34 AM

I currently hold CCW permit from three states, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. Now I can vouch for the fact these three states run a background on each applicant and if you aren't clean you don't get. With as many people as there are applying a few are apt to slip by but I think they do a pretty good job to monitor things. I am a retired LEO and that carried no weight when I applied I had the same hoops to jump through.

m. @ 1/1/2016 8:55 AM

The states whose permits Virginia will no longer recognize are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

m. @ 1/1/2016 8:56 AM

States are currently being notified about the change, which goes into effect on Feb. 1, Herring said. The only states that have tough enough laws to maintain their reciprocity agreement with Virginia are: Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and West Virginia, he said.

R @ 1/1/2016 10:05 AM

Fla law is a joke. You never even have to fire 1 round to get a permit, no standardized curriculum and you can be blind and have a ccw permit! They are destroying the sanctity of qualified gunowners having permits. VA is smart challenging other states that have 'give away' permit programs.

Kenneth W. Minton @ 1/1/2016 10:13 AM

Unless you are ex-law enforcement or ex-military (I'm both.) you have to take a gun safety course in Florida. Not sure where the poster above got his/her information.

Kenneth W. Minton @ 1/1/2016 10:14 AM

Unless you are former law enforcement or ex-military, both of whom will have handled firearms, you have to take a gun safety course in Florida.

R @ 1/1/2016 10:39 AM

I'm a firearms instructor in Fl, I know exactly what I'm talking about. Many gun shows give a 30 minute class, never require a demonstration of proficiency and their is never a required re-cert for any permit holder. Again, the state does not even have a required standard curriculum to teach permit applicants.

ssc1911 @ 1/1/2016 12:10 PM

VA Attorney General Herring doesn't get it. Bad guys don't concealed carry permits.
The Governor of VA, should make Herring explain his justification for doing this and based upon what standards he mentions.

The Democrats will never give up their assault on the Second Amendment, sad for an official who took an Oath Of Office to uphold the Constitution and other laws. Pro gun groups in VA, should not let this rest and make Herring accountable. I don't know how hard it is to remove AG herring from his current position. It should be done.

Frank @ 1/1/2016 3:36 PM

I am a retired LEO and ex-military, from SC we got a saying here, it is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. If my life or another person's life is in danger I will let my training take over