Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Los Angeles Police Union Opposes Council Proposal to Require Locks on Handguns When Not in Use

June 29, 2015  |

Los Angeles city council members are debating controversial new gun law changes aimed at locking up handguns when they're not in use.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the proposal would require city residents to either lock up handguns not being used or apply trigger locks to them. The proposal was authored by Councilman Paul Krekorian and is meant to protect children from gun accidents.

But the plan has faced resistance from the local police officers union – the Los Angeles Police Protective League. The proposed rules exempted active duty and reserve officers, but the union wants retired officers and their families also included, Fox News reports. They reportedly wrote a letter to lawmakers arguing that all officers need quick access for self-protection. The letter cited ex-LAPD officer Christopher Dorner's massacre of other officers three years ago.

Federali @ 6/29/2015 4:23 PM

This is just another reason why I'm glad I never realized my dream of getting hired by LAPD, and went Federal instead..... I'd be working for a bunch of living brain donors! Locking up a gun should be a personal choice. LEO's aren't the only ones that may need instant access to a firearm. At least I don't live in the jurisdiction of these clowns, I only have to work in it.

Jon Retired LEO @ 6/29/2015 4:39 PM

The city council needs to stay out of law abiding citizens private lives as long as they are not breaking any laws. I wonder if Senator Feinstein had anything to do with the council's proposal. Its about time for that bandwagon to start again.

Anon LEO @ 6/29/2015 4:58 PM

Doesn't 25100 CPC already cover this issue?

ssc1911 @ 6/30/2015 7:11 AM

What about the crooks, gang bangers, drug dealers etc? being sarcastic here at the law. The bad guys won't abide by this law or any other gun control law. This law and other gun control laws only affect law abiding people. There are draconian gun laws in NJ too,

ssc1911 @ 6/30/2015 7:13 AM

Good for the LA Policed Protective League to fight this. The law is idiotic and the City Council need to be held accountable. Where is their thinking?

Ray @ 7/1/2015 2:03 AM

I fought a war for this country and among my many medals is a Purple Heart for being shot and almost killed by our countries enemies. Criminals including Home Invaders are still my enemies and my countries. I fought for the right to keep a weapon ready to defend my wife's life. Who is this Councilman who thinks he knows better than me how to protect my family and which Communist Country is he representing?

pddme094 @ 7/2/2015 9:25 PM

That's right. Restrict the law abiding citizens to "Can I please unlock my gun before you attack me?" Beautiful. Just Frikkin Beautiful.

Don Ingram @ 7/6/2015 8:00 PM

Just another liberal city counsel wanting to pass another idiotic gun law that makes no sense. Thank goodness that I do not live in that area of California. My off duty weapon will never be locked. There are going to be a lot more cities passing laws to keep your gun locked after the United States Supreme Court Ruling that cities can require you to lock up your firearms.

[email protected] members?. @ 7/8/2015 7:08 PM

I gotta ask: Does this apply to the counsel members? I'll bet not. And that's one group that should be kept away from any weapon. After over a lifetime of having a gun within arms length at all times to have to unlock a safe or a trigger lock just seems wrong. Of course the goon kicking in my front door would just love this concept. Blues, Stay Safe!