Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Border Patrol May Be Stripping Agents of Their Rifles

November 11, 2014  |

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Offices of Border Patrol and Training and Development say it is inspecting the quality of agents' M4 carbines throughout Border Patrol sectors nationwide, and that's why agents have been required to turn in the weapons. But agents have told News 4 Tucson, some of these M4s have not been replaced. And agents are required to share rifles.

"There's a lot of agents that are pretty upset over it," said Art del Cueto, president of the Border Patrol's Tucson Sector union. "We know it's a dangerous job. We know what we signed on for but we want to have as much of the equipment as we need to perform the job."

Customs and Border Protection released a statement to the News 4 Tucson Investigators last week, stating: "CBP's Offices of Border Patrol and Training and Development are jointly inspecting the serviceability of M4 carbines throughout Border Patrol Sectors nationwide. Some of (the) inspected M4 carbines were deemed unserviceable and removed from inventory to alleviate safety concerns. Inspections will continue to ensure the unserviceable M4 carbines are repaired or replaced for reintroduction into the field. No further information is available at this time."

Jeff Prather is a former drug enforcement agent who now runs the Warrior School in Tucson. He says agents have reached out to him about the rifle shortage. He believes removing some of the rifles may be politically motivated. He says he was told that many of these guns are being removed for issues that are easily repaired like the firing pin and bolt.

Chuck @ 11/11/2014 4:05 PM

Your rifles are being taken away and sold to the cartels via Erica von holder

Joeblowy @ 11/11/2014 4:58 PM

How did you know this Chuck ---? How right you are, and couple hundred cases of AK-47's too?

Carlos @ 11/11/2014 5:44 PM

I wonder if this is a knee-jerk reaction for the so-called "militarization" of the Pol-lice? Next thing you know they're going to be taking away the OD Green or camouflage uniforms and replacing the with something in a softer, pastel color.

Boston @ 11/11/2014 5:49 PM

This is a disgrace. So we can expect some more casulties. This job is not worth it. I sure wish this information would hit 60 Minutes and a few other news outlets. Where's our wimpy politicians??

Concerned Citizen @ 11/11/2014 7:03 PM

This is part of a larger picture. Of doing away with LEOs almost altogether. Except for Heads of State and the Ruling Elite Class. As we speak Lesley McSpadden is going to the UN asking for Global Intervention. I.E. UN "Peace Keepers" who wear Blue Helmets. She is just a stupid Useful Idiot. So guns being taken away isn't so absurd. Barry O can let China or Russia invade us, or UN Peace Keepers control the US Population. He is a Trojan Horse. Who knows maybe Ex-Mill Spec. Equipment that LEOs use, will be Confiscated for United Nations "Troops". It's obvious the people in power don't love the USA. Or her people. And that includes current and former LEOs. Brown's mom is ASKING for 'global intervention' though her attorney. She's so stupid she doesn't even know what GI means! It means UN FREAKING TROOPS ON US SOIL! Border Agents and other LEOs may fight alongside people who love the USA in the not to distant Future. Who knows? When the Blue Helmets come...

Nightstalker @ 11/11/2014 8:12 PM

I work undercover and i get scared of the drug cartels have better weapons that we do!!!!!

Chuck @ 11/11/2014 8:33 PM

Nightstalker good luck brother. I work uniform and it scares the hell out of me that our enemies have better weapons than we do

tom @ 11/12/2014 5:22 AM

History lesson. Can't give you the exact dates, but I remember reading that the Border Patrol had lever guns, when they only had horses for transportation. I don't know when but they transitioned to Winchester semi-auto rifles in .351 Win, many years ago. They may have used other rifles, but I am not sure. Our P.C. adminitstrtors need to remind the polititians that a rifle is a basic piece of property for all that protect our borders and always has been since their patrol vehicles had 4 legs.

Capt. Crunch @ 11/12/2014 10:18 AM

Sounds like Eric Holder, is making some beer money off the M4's .

Sgt. Mike @ 11/12/2014 7:27 PM

I am the armorer for my department, and I need to pull weapons off the field occasionally for inspection. Sometimes I need to do maintenance but I have a parts bin to draw from and do most repairs while the deputy waits. My agency is much smaller that the USBP and I can’t imagine how long it might take to do the work they are doing. With that said, I don’t see the need for any agency to overhaul their entire workforces’ weapons AT THE SAME TIME. Talk about piss poor planning/management.

C.F.FRIDRICH @ 11/12/2014 7:34 PM

When I STARTED WAS SWORN IN (ACROSS THE POTOMAC FROM D.C) WE CARRIED SMITH MOD 19'S 357. WE ABSOLUTELY OUT GUNNED THE BAD GUYS ..NOT THE CASE NOW!!! IAM RETIRED (34yrs) AND I PRAY FOR FOR MY BROTHERS STILL OUT THERY DAILY. BE CAREFUL . AND COME HOME AFTER SHIFT..............................