Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Poll: Utah Citizens Favor Military Equipment for Police

September 08, 2014  |

Utahns are in favor of police having access to military weapons, according to a new UtahPolicy.com poll, but they are split on whether police agencies in general have become more militarized.

According to the poll, 21 percent of the 406 people surveyed said they "strongly support" police departments having military equipment, and 35 percent said they "somewhat support" it.

UtahPolicy.com’s website says the survey was conducted on Aug. 26-28 by Dan Jones & Associates, and had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

The same people surveyed also were asked questions about whether they thought police should wear body cameras. Earlier this week, UtahPolicy released those numbers, which indicated that more than 80 percent of those surveyed believe officers should wear body cameras while on the job.

Read more in the Salt Lake Tribune article.

Concerned Citizen @ 9/8/2014 5:32 PM

It's just a website poll? How about a poll asking citizens if they favor the Nat. Guard and the Police rounding up Citizens if they disagree with the Politics and Policy of the Federal Government. With a Dictator in Charge.
I have nothing against the Police being armed. But if the Police & Military have fully auto weapons. Citizens should be allowed to have the same. Just like M-RAPS, and L-Rad riot ending radar. But look at Congress, they have Insider Trading, but everyone else doesn't. There are Double Standards for Law Abiding Citizens, but everyone else can Break Laws. Like the Gov. itself.
The only reason The Ruling Elite want Mil Spec. Gear is to PROTECT THEM! It has nothing to do with respecting LEOs! Look at the body bags of border agents under Bush II and O. Citizens do have much to fear, they don't want Genocide of Christians, Conservatives or any other group. They want to live in PEACE! And not be bothered by anyone. It's the Gov. creating chaos, not average people!

Bill @ 9/8/2014 5:58 PM

If that is what they want. Perhaps it should go to referendum. I wouldn't mind this equipment being acquiesced by my local LEO, if I too had access to this equipment. But I don't, and that is a big problem.

No neighbor should be mandated by law to be weaker than any other neighbor unless there is due process to establish cause for denial of right.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I am not wrong.

Jason @ 9/8/2014 8:15 PM

With the possible ISIS threat to America, why should the Police have these weapons? Let all of the internet bad asses handle it.

Johnny Law @ 9/9/2014 6:31 AM

I guess people forget that the POLICE come to your home to handle the bad people you are afraid to go out and confront. Why in the hell would citizens need military equipment when the police are the ones to handle their problems. I don't see my plumber answering calls for a man with a gun and I've never seem my dentist do a high risk search warrant!

Bill @ 9/9/2014 7:47 AM

It takes time for police to respond. And, now the threats are increasing. From cartels, to terrorist organizations, to an emboldened criminal element, this country(and its people) are under attack.
If I am being attacked I want as much ability to respond as possible. Because an attacker won't wait for me to dial 911, and certainly won't wait for the cops to show up, but he will respond to a volley of hollow-points.

Johnny Law @ 9/9/2014 1:39 PM

Bill you are correct in that every citizen should be able to protect themeslves. Handguns, shotguns and M4s are available for purchase. I dont see the need for MRAPs, night vision equipment or fully automatic guns to protect your home. That is what the POLICE are for. Simply buying weapons with no formal training is very dangerous for everyone.

skaggs @ 9/9/2014 5:36 PM

Plain and simple. If YOUR the one out on the streets day after day, and night after night you only want the best to protect yourself. As an officer you don't get to say 'I don't want to do that, or I don't want go in there." Its your job so that everyone else can be safe. YOU DESERVE TO HAVE THE BEST EQUIPMENT THAT CAN BE AFFORDED! I want to go home to my family every morning, and if that means an armored vehicle has to drive through an active shooter situation to get me out, then fine by me. I disagree with the use of camouflage though. I believe it should be all plainly marked 'Police'. Besides at the end of the day if you didn't do anything wrong or buck the system then you shouldn't care what tools they use anyways.

Bill @ 9/12/2014 10:48 AM

The reason LEO's should want law-abiding, good-natured, Americans to have the same equipment is exemplified in the LA riots(and to a lesser degree, Ferguson).
During the LA riots the cops were not widely militarized. While the black population was burning/looting/killing, the LEO's were powerless to stop this. In order to protect their neighborhoods, entire residential blocks were cordoned off by heavily armed citizens(some of which were gangs). This action helped to isolate the rioters, and freed up manpower.
Now, fast forward to Ferguson. A heavily militarized police force, even backed by the National Guard, was powerless to stop the rioting/looting. Again, it was heavily armed citizens guarding the stores.
It's very clear the LEO's job is daunting; more so today than at anytime in the past.
Contrary to popular myth, the Old West wasn't overtly violent. Today's cities are- by far- much more violent. Many have speculated why this is the case.
(continued)

Bill @ 9/12/2014 10:48 AM

It seems logical, to me, to conclude that it was the specter of being shot by a populace that was way more heavily armed than any governing body.

ET @ 9/14/2014 7:16 PM

I have no issues with local LE purchasing military surplus equipment. Dealing with dangerous gangs, organized crime, terrorism, cartels and all that good stuff is more than enough justification. We'd be kidding ourselves if we thought the bad guys don't buy military equipment on the black market and will hesitate to use it on us.

But on the same token, there should be a few caveats in play here:
1. Law-abiding citizens should be able to purchase and procure that same equipment.
2. There ought to be limits on how much can be purchased at a time (though cost alone would probably be enough to limit most agencies' purchasing power already).

The concern over the "militarization of the police" stems from a far deeper problem with our political system rather than LE itself. The encroachment of our liberties falls back on the politicians, not the cops. After all, it's not LE that's making the laws.

Bill @ 9/15/2014 7:56 AM

And, therein lies the greatest threat to the safety of LEO's, and the people they serve.

Legislation that is unjust, unlawful, and detrimental.

History has taught us that it is no excuse to 'just follow orders', or to 'just enforce the law'. Too many would rather simply allow the courts to 'sort it out'. But, this mentality fails to consider one specific caveat of letting the courts 'sort it out'.

An arrest can completely upend a persons life, even costing them their livelihoods. When an arrest is the result of a 'mechanized' enforcement of an unjust legislation, then that enforcement will, inevitably, be considered an unjust act(and eventually be considered a criminal act) by the victims of such enforcement.

Maybe LEO's ought to start considering the 'justness' of the dictates of legislators.