Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Conn. Officer Wounded by Accidental Discharge

December 19, 2013  |

A city police officer suffered a gunshot wound to his thigh after what police described as an accidental discharge of his handgun.

The officer, Juan Santiago, was taken to St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport with non-life threatening injuries, police told the Hartford Courant.

The shooting occurred about 8:40 a.m. at the Bagel King restaurant at 3550 Main St. The firearm Santiago accidentally fired was not his police-issued handgun, police said.

Tags: Accidental Discharges, Bridgeport (Conn.) PD, Officer Injured

Rick @ 12/19/2013 3:21 PM

No such thing as a accidental discharge; it's a negligent discharge, because it could have been prevented.

Boston @ 12/19/2013 4:40 PM

Rick, An AD is standard nomenclature to the best of my knowledge. This guy will get ragged by fellow LEO's with plastic pistols. I recall when I served in the National Guard they handed out wood, yes wood .45 cal. pistols for our holster.

I guess they didn't want any legal matters when throwing the Hippies off the Boston Commons.

Regular Guy @ 12/19/2013 6:11 PM

Accidental Discharge (AD) refers to someone with no formalized weapon training. Negligent Discharge (ND) refers to a trained and competent person who should have know better, e.g. weapon safety rule #2 never let you muzzle cover anything you’re not willing to shoot or destroy. With that said, it still sucks for the Officer. At least it was at the Bagel King instead of the Donut King.

Capt. Crunch @ 12/19/2013 6:56 PM

Nobody is perfect shit happens to the best of us.

Ima Leprechaun @ 12/19/2013 7:10 PM

It's an accidental discharge and it can happen to anyone. Our Range Officer had one in his cruiser, a patrolman let one fly in the duty room and a detective bounced one around his office. All three were lucky not to hit themselves or anybody else. But accidents do happen. The only way it is not an AD is if they meant to fire their weapon and given each situation none intended to fire their weapon. It's frequent for jail deputies removing an ankle pistol prior to jail entry to let one fly and I am guessing that's why the room they secure their weapons in is concrete. I even knew of a fire fighter that accidentally shot himself in the crotch, I would guess he had no intention of shooting himself there either. Even in an actual shooting with bad guys officers have shot up their own dashboard and windshield and never remembered doing it. These things just happen from time to time because we are only human.

Jim B. @ 12/20/2013 6:11 AM

Why does this kind of incident always go to an argument about accidental discharge vs negligent discharge, unintended discharge, etc?

Does it really matter? It's semantics. Do you think it really matters whether we call it an AD or a ND or a UD? Is calling it one thing verses the other going to keep it from happening. The fact is, the weapon was fired when the shooter didn't purposefully mean for it to happen. It was an accident! It was also unintentional. And yes, there was probably some negligence involved. Congratulations, everyone is right. Can we just agree that the terms are interchangeable and move on?

Sheesh!

Rev. Baker @ 12/20/2013 6:48 AM

Jim is right! What you should be looking more into is the fact that it was his personal weapon, NOT his police issued side arm. If he can neglect his own weapon like that, how do you think he treats the one he was issued??? Also, how exactly did the weapon go off??? It's not like it just went off by it's self! I understand that this is just a little blurp about what happened, but hopefully, more information will be available soon.

b @ 12/20/2013 10:27 AM

Why was his weapon removed from his holster?

Lenny @ 12/20/2013 2:38 PM

What an utter bafoon. The best part is that it was called in as "officer down" and 12 police cars showed up ready to go to war. I shudder to think what might have happened if this exact same scenario had occurred with a citizen.
Had he lived through the day I'm sure a long list of charges would have awaited him. And to those who say we're all human and shit happens, maybe you could remember that. Do all police have their personal weapons with them when they are on patrol?

Capt. Crunch @ 12/20/2013 7:32 PM

@Lenny, baby AKA the Tool, the only bafoon here is you. If you carry a weapon on duty then yes this can happen to you. I cannot speak for other officers but when I was on duty I carried a back up firearm. I found this a lot faster then reloading. P.S. do you eat the water can or oil can tuna?

S.S. @ 12/23/2013 9:17 AM

lenny would you please go annoy someone else from your mommy's basement. You're a complete moron, and don't understand jack. Go out and find a girlfriend or boyfriend, if that's possible, no one cares just leave...

Lenny @ 12/23/2013 3:08 PM

@S.S.
I understand far more than you ever will. And don't you ever bring my Mother into your tirades of hate, she died 35 years ago after a long battle with cancer you piece of garbage. I should imagine with your arrogance is very prevalent in the way you treat everyone out there. S.S., interesting considering how much Neo Nazis have taken hold in the military and law enforcement. I'm sure you're one of those shaved head, wrap around glasses, f*@k you up gloves, and as many guns as you can possibly carry. And I'll bet you probably can't wait until you can ride around in one of those new tanks you people seem to need to feel safe, and grease a few people whose skin colour just doesn't match yours. Maybe you can strap some female down on a table and insert things into every orrifice and then send her a bill like your brothers in Texas? Or throw a woman into a concrete bench, or shoot a man in his own yard @ 2am and then blame poor lighting.
Or hang someone in their cell like in Ohio.

S.S. @ 12/24/2013 8:12 AM

lenny I don't care. Stay off the sight if you don't want to hear it. All of us LEO do not care for your stupid and idiotic rants. You are a complete ASS. And you have no business here. AT ALL. So as long as you continue. So will I. A lot of the bullshit that you talk, a lot of us have lived through. You seem to make light of the situation thinking that what you are doing is funny. It's not!!! This sight is for LEO, and those who respect it. So F**K YOU. You wanna keep it up. So will I. I don't think your mother would like it very much that she raised a complete douchebag. MERRY XMAS!!!

S.S. @ 12/24/2013 8:18 AM

Once again lenny you got it all wrong. I am a minority dumbass. I'm glad to say so. I am a highly decorated officer one of them being Office of the Yearwith my police dept. not to mention I belong to the safest city in the U.S. So that should blow away your so-called theory. You are just a pittiful excuse of a human being. Who talks out of his A** every chance he gets. I should only hope one day that you grow up. Im sure your mother raised you better than that. If you keep on then so will I. STAY OFF THE SIGHT.

Lenny @ 12/30/2013 11:14 PM

@S.S.
I'm still here, I was just away visiting family for the holidays.
Unlike you I follow the rules of the site and don't attack or insult people
simply because I don't agree with their opinions. Oh and as far as you being highly decorated and "officer of the year", when I'm asleep I'm a viking. Cool, right. There were 2 things that you pointed out that I definately agree with you are " a minority dumbass and you "don't care" that would look good on the side of your ride. That and I feared for my life. Also this sight is for anyone if you bothered to read the rules, not just those who agree with you. Perhaps you could try defending that incredible document(The Constitution), instead of wiping your butts with it when dealing withe public. There are literally thousands of examples I could cite. You should seek some help to deal with your anger issues. And in closing regarding you order for me to STAY OFF THE SIGHT, (it's site sweetheart) NO! I refuse to comply!

S.S. @ 1/2/2014 8:21 AM

lenny is weak and is a cowardly p.o.s. The things that you're accusing me of is kinda weird. Especially the part of sticking things in other people's orfices. Yikes!!! That sounds like a fantasy of yours. I have this weird picture of you, and what you are really like. Did you ever see Silence of the Lambs? The character Buffalo Bill. That's who you remind me of and throw in a lil bit of Norman Bates. I can totally picture you dressing up in womens skin and dancing around like some kind of FREAK. Not to mention the whole thing of you living in your mommy's basement. I just thought that I'd throw that out there. Til next time lenny the coward.