ESS Rollbar Tactical Sunglass - ESS Eyepro
The new ESS Rollbar Tactical interchangeable-lens sunglass has a broad wrap that...

Sheriffs Refuse to Enforce Laws on Gun Control

December 16, 2013  |

When Sheriff John Cooke of Weld County, Colo., explains in speeches why he is not enforcing the state’s new gun laws, he holds up two 30-round magazines. One, he says, he had before July 1, when the law banning the possession, sale or transfer of the large-capacity magazines went into effect. The other, he “maybe” obtained afterward, the New York Times reports.

He shuffles the magazines, which look identical, and then challenges the audience to tell the difference.

“How is a deputy or an officer supposed to know which is which?” he asks.

Colorado’s package of gun laws, enacted this year after mass shootings in Aurora, Colo., and Newtown, Conn., has been hailed as a victory by advocates of gun control. But if Sheriff Cooke and a majority of the other county sheriffs in Colorado offer any indication, the new laws — which mandate background checks for private gun transfers and outlaw magazines over 15 rounds — may prove nearly irrelevant across much of the state’s rural regions.

Tags: Gun Control Advocacy, Gun Rights Advocacy, Sheriffs

C. Prieto @ 12/16/2013 4:52 PM

Good for Sheriff Cooke, finally someone that has common sense. Unless the magazine is marked Law Enforcement/Milatary only there is no way to tell when the magazine was purchased. 10rnds, 15rnds, 30rnds, it doesn't matter. What are you going to when the next shooter is found carrying (10) 10rnd mags. Ban that too? Why don't these "law makers" figure out how to get rid of the person and not the equipment. Being in law enforcement for 24yrs I wouldn't take anyones legally owned gun or mag and I sure as heck wouldn't let anyone take mine.

Retired NY Boss @ 12/16/2013 6:35 PM

NYS says I can only put 7 rds in my magazine, unless it was the pistol I retired with and my HR 218 is current, then I can load 15………Huh?

Serpico @ 12/16/2013 9:33 PM

Gun laws have the sole purpose to disarm the Working Class. So the Ruling Elites can have free Reign to create Mass Genocide like Cambodia, and Third World Nations in Africa. The people who create "Gun Laws" have armed guards, armored cars. And are well protected. Yet they don't enforce Illegal Immigration Laws. They leave the BORDER wide open, so Illegals can DO CRIMES upon innocent Americans.
Here's Amendment II. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, >shall not be infringed< What part of Shall Not Be Infringed do people misunderstand? If people went after Illegal Aliens, like we do GUNS. We wouldn't have an Illegal Immigration Problem! But that's "too easy" for people trying to destroy the USA!

TXLawman @ 12/17/2013 6:44 AM

Does anyone remember what type of rifles Charles Whitman used in 1966 to kill 17 and wound another 32 people on the UT Austin campus. Several pistols plus the following: Remington 700 bolt action with 5rd clip, M1 semi auto with 15rd mag, Remington 141 pump action 5rd. My understanding is he used the bolt action the most. It's not the weapon it's the twisted person behind it. Be Safe Blue! Great Job Sheriff Cooke!

Trigger @ 12/17/2013 8:12 AM

I agree with what the Sheriff has to say however I do not agree on his grandstanding. The use of discretion is a critical part of law enforcement, something I have used for 35 years. If he would have told his deputies to stand down on the enforcement would be one thing, not only has he tied his officers hands but he has potentially opened himself and his agency up for a major liability issue. If someone decides to shoot up a school, etc. after the Sheriff made his speech how is the general population let alone the victims famlies going to react to the Sheriff not enforcing laws, I am sure not well. In an article that I read he also stated that he would be running for a Senate seat, could this be part of his politics??

Randy @ 12/17/2013 11:04 AM

Politics to the side, these laws are dumb ass. You know who's going to abide by them? The good people. You know who is NOT going to abide by them? The bad and sick people. We have to stop saying to ourselves "well that new law really doesn't effect me"..... or ..... "but if you have nothing to hide".......

let me tell you, as someone who travels around the world for work regularly, I feel the most safe in America... Maybe Switzerland, but thats because there are more guns in households there per capita than here.....

Does america have problems? Sure, just like every other country has.. They may be different problems from country to country but no country has the monopoly on safety or deaths of any kind. Lets not forget about the lives that firearms save every day here in America.... Oh and the lives saved by the government employee's of foreign countries who have firearms (just not their citizens)

Just my opinion....

Capt. Crunch @ 12/17/2013 11:41 AM

Both C. Prieto and Trigger make good points, but for a sheriff to say in public he will not enfore the law does not sit well with me. I could understand if the sheriff came out in public and he would try to repeal the law. I feel law enforcement agencies should maintain structure, rules and discipline.

Capt. Crunch @ 12/17/2013 11:41 AM

Capt. Crunch @ 12/17/2013 11:41 AM

Dennis @ 12/17/2013 3:02 PM

I appreciate a Sheriff who will illuminate and broadcast stupid knee jerk laws that are passed to pacify a minority who won't be responsible for their own safety and have no problem infringing on the safety and Rights of others.

I would think as an elector, Constituents would appreciate knowing where he stands, no matter the Office he is running or re-running for.

Ima Leprechaun @ 12/17/2013 10:02 PM

If gun laws go unenforced in Colorado there will likely be more school shootings because until Pierson pulled the trigger on his shotgun he had not committed a crime in Colorado. That's why so many shootings occur in a state that lets anyone take a gun any where for any reason. As long as they keep the shooters in their state I am fine with them ignoring their own laws.

Thor @ 12/18/2013 3:57 PM

Leprechaun--Gun laws don't go unenforced in Colorado its laws that are unconstitutional or down right unenforceable that are ignored. Unenforceable is what the sheriff demonstrated. The Arapahoe County shooting was in violation of the law. So was the theater shooting. It takes response time for enforcers to get to a school or theater. If I had ignored the law and carried my pistol to the theater the shooter would be dead. I had no reason to go to the high-school but both shooters were wackos. The State does NOT let anyone take a gun any where, for any reason. You are ignorant of the laws and what it takes to enforce them. Idiot. Stay away!!!!

The Enforcer @ 12/19/2013 9:35 AM

I don't believe the Sheriff is stating that he "won't" enforce the laws, but rather that by using common sense, (a thing in which most liberals are found severely lacking), he can't realistically enforce them because there is no way to visibly tell the diffence between the 2 magazines. As a Sheriff's Deputy and a SRO through our city Police Dept. I commend Sheriff Cooke for not playing the politically correct or safe game. We need Law Enforcement Officers that protect law abiding people, fight real crime and defend our Constitution, not a bunch of yes men who play the popularity game or worry about what the liberal mainstream media think, say or do. We need to stand up for what's right and not care who knows it and quit cowering in the corner hoping nobody will see us do the right thing, fearing we might face a little scrutiny or adversity. Good people sitting back quietly and doing or saying nothing, while we let the idiots and crazies rage on, is what's wrong with our country now!!!!

tiny @ 12/19/2013 11:08 AM

Lets go slippery slope here for a minute. Lets suppose a deputy or officer seizes a magazine or magazines that turn out in court to be legally obtained prior to the date of the BANN. Can they then legally transfer those magazines back to the defendant since it is illegal to transfer said magazines.
All I am saying that were a jurisdiction so inclined to get the guns or more specifically the magazines once collected they might say they could not return them legally. I mean even if you cant get a conviction on a marijuana dealer you cant give him the contraband pot after the acquittal.
Just food for thought

Ima Leprechaun @ 12/19/2013 7:26 PM

I had no idea "Thor" was a Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. I guess it is ok to pick and choose what laws you don't want to enforce. I am so glad not to live in Colorado where they are allowed to ignore the laws that they disagree with. But until each whacko as you call them pulled the trigger neither one had violated any Colorado State Law of that time.

Jack Betz @ 1/2/2014 8:09 AM

Very refreshing. An honest cop who won't enforce an illegal law. To those who naysay I would mention two things. One is when I joined the army, I still had my hair when they told me I was to DISOBEY, not to follow unlawful orders. Point two, I was only following orders is a defense that didn't work that great at Nuremburg.