ESS Rollbar Tactical Sunglass - ESS Eyepro
The new ESS Rollbar Tactical interchangeable-lens sunglass has a broad wrap that...

Calif. Lawmakers Approve Tighter Gun Control

May 30, 2013  |

California's state Sen. Darrell Steinberg introduced a gun-violence bill in February. Screenshot via CASenDems/YouTube.
California lawmakers passed a dozen gun bills Wednesday that would tighten controls on ammunition purchases, ban semi-automatic rifles, and give a 15-day amnesty to illegal gun owners to hand over their guns.

The measures took initial steps and still need approval in both houses as well as Gov. Jerry Brown's signature. Democratic lawmakers cited the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting in Newtown as motivation for tightening gun laws in one of the nation's strictest gun-control states.

Under a bill passed by the Senate, ammunition purchasers would have to submit personal information and a $50 fee for a background check by the state. The state Department of Justice would determine whether buyers have a criminal record, severe mental illness or a restraining order that would disqualify them from owning guns. Ammo shops would check the name on buyers' driver's licenses against a state list of qualified purchasers, reports the Los Angeles Times.

The Senate also passed a bill outlawing the sale, purchase and manufacture of semiautomatic rifles that accommodate detachable magazines. SB 374 would also establish a registry for current owners of those weapons. The rifle ban goes beyond an assault weapons ban, a spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Federation told POLICE Magazine.

"There are various models of hunting rifles that have a detachable magazine that would be affected by this as well," said Michael Bazinet. "These restrictions seem well beyond what would make any kind of sense in improving public safety in California. The best way to decrease the criminal use of firearms is to concentrate on enforcing the existing laws."

The Assembly passed a measure requiring the state DOJ to notify local law enforcement agencies when someone buys more than 3,000 rounds of ammunition. That bill would also ban kits that convert magazines to carry more than 10 rounds and would extend a ban on gun ownership for anyone who conveys a serious threat of violence to a licensed psychotherapist, reports the Times.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Senate unanimously approved an amnesty program for thousands of illegal gun owners with criminal convictions, severe mental illness, arrest warrants or temporary restraining orders. Upon passage of the bill, owners would have 15 days to hand over the guns. State DOJ agents would confiscate the guns from those who don't hand them in.

Tags: Gun Control Advocacy, California Legislation, Sandy Hook School Shooting, Ammunition

Hoshi @ 5/30/2013 1:10 PM

Another reason I'm glad I moved to Texas the day after I retired from a Calif Sheriffs Office

therookie @ 5/30/2013 2:54 PM

California don't have the money to enforce parole/probation violaters, prison space is short, and one day the pendulum will swing back right. Then they are going to be screwed. This states priorities are so messed up. Glad I don't live there, and feel sorry for my family that does. Gun/Ammo dealers & manufacturers will flee that state.

Rick @ 5/30/2013 2:57 PM

Last year the CA legislature outlawed the open carry of UNLOADED handguns and long guns and it's already illegal to carry loaded handguns and long guns unless you are engaged in a legal activity such as hunting, so the gang bangers and other thugs will of course abide by those existing laws and not harm citizens. Not so, crime is going up in CA; the legislature should give CCW's like FL, TX and VA, and have reciprocity for out of state CCW's. Then criminals will fear attacking armed citizens and crime will decline. Study after study proves this to be true.

RT @ 5/30/2013 2:57 PM

I agree with Hoshi. I left CA for a police job in AZ. California is going nuts.

Allen @ 5/30/2013 3:00 PM

Wow! That's about all I can say. Oh, that's right this is the home of Dianne Feinstein, and she knows all there is to know about guns. I'm sure all the gang bangers will be turning their guns in once they get word.

Fed Cop @ 5/30/2013 3:04 PM

Check out the "Cops for Props" in the photo. This isn't going to slow down the bangers one bit. My bet is that there will be parties in East Oakland tonight. This will go great with Gov Moonbeam's release of 40,000 felon into the community. What idiots!!!!

DM @ 5/30/2013 3:04 PM

So does this mean unless I stockpile ammunition (which is what the law is attempting to prevent), every time I buy a box of ammo at the local range for practice, I must pay an additional $50 and await a background check before the cashier can ring me up?

What a farce.

Tom Ret @ 5/30/2013 3:14 PM

If you could find a box of 22 shells in Calif it will cost you $50 plus the ammo itself. No doubt that background check on ammo purchases will have to be done each and every time. Any gun, ammo or accessory
business needs to flee this state as fast as they can.

Something tells me that a majority of those who are suppose to turn in their guns in 15 days, will just conclude that DOJ can come and get them. It will be a tall order for DOJ to enforce this in my mind.

NJmotorcop @ 5/30/2013 3:26 PM

Is there no limit to the corruption and subversiveness of California's politicians?

ajb7133 @ 5/30/2013 3:42 PM

Funny story, so I left Southern VA (home) and the S.O. I worked for there and took a job as a Fed in SoCal. After my first qual out at the old Olympic range, i realized all my cleaning gear had been lost in the move. So my redneck @$$ went to WalMart, which is like heaven to hill billys like me. I head back to the Sporting Goods department and ask the cute Cally Girl where the Gun Department is. "We don't have one". "oh", I say. "Well, do you sell gun cleaning supplies?" She says, "why?" I say, "because i need to clean my gun" (At this point I'm thinking the Orange County Schools must not be so great) She asks, "Why do you need to clean your gun?" I obviously reply "Because i shot it and it's dirty". She then proceeds to say "Oh my God" a million times and runs away. Well, I had seen this before with the Yankees that came down to my County as Snowbirds. So, image my surprise when about 10 minutes later I get proned out in WalMart by 2 Huntington Beach Cops who don't want to here that my badge and credentials are in my back pocket and my backup is in the small of my back. Luckily, they figured things out quick. California...what a mess...Illegal aliens, pedophiles, a dopers are welcome, law-abiding citizens and Peace Officers are not.

Tom Ret @ 5/30/2013 4:12 PM

ajb7133-pretty soon they will require a $50 background check for cleaning gear.

I would not want to be proned out for just standing there asking for cleaning gear. If that is all there is, how would that justify the pd from doing anything more than a brief conversation.

Sounds like WallyWord and/or the PD could be opening themselves up
for a suit.

rob @ 5/30/2013 4:26 PM

Is it just me or does the idea of making illegal gun owners legal so that they can turn the guns in seem like a "great" idea. I am not sure why a politician has not thought of this sooner. That along with a DOJ gun grab will certainly work. Good job kalifornia, once again your wisdom should act as a beacon for all of us.

walkintrails @ 5/30/2013 4:53 PM

Look on the bright side - on Day 16, California will have become the safest place on earth!

Jordan Nash @ 5/30/2013 5:02 PM

I guess all of those folks in California are glad to have registered their guns now. *Roll eyes*

Richard @ 5/30/2013 5:44 PM

I can't believe how these alleged law makers are serving their residents by making law obeying citizens criminals and violating their 2nd amendments rights !! Why are responsible lawmakers still over reacting to a crime that none of these law would have stopped !! Instead of encouraging enforcement of the laws that are on the books ?? It's got to stop !

Harold Sampsen @ 5/30/2013 5:53 PM

The criticism of CA's political climate is absolutely right-on. It is extremely oppressive and contemptuous of citizen's rights. This sort of abuse, as well as abuse of businesses, is driving citizens and businesses into more free states, like AZ and TX. BTW, here's a little bit of trivia: the gun show at the Los Angeles Fairgrounds was by far the biggest gun show in the world. It ended when the scummy Los Angeles politicians violated the contract and lease, and forced it to close. Another bit of trivia: there is not a single gun shop in the city of Los Angeles; the city has harassed them all out of existence.

Officerjason @ 5/30/2013 5:54 PM

Awesome. Now were just waiting for the govt to tell us how many children were allowed to have, what kind of vehicles to drive, what jobs we can and cant have....oh wait, minus the children thing they do all that in Kalifornia already. Socialism is slowly creeping into this country and we as the citizens are allowing this to happen. The first step toward socialism is disarming the citizens...

John Russell @ 5/30/2013 6:59 PM

Don't worry all the GANGS,CRIMINALS, and KILLERS promise to obey this new law ""OK""? YEAH and I will sell you a big red bridge in SAN FRANSISCO too!

notmeofficer @ 5/30/2013 7:21 PM

Just as in the assault weapons ban many policeman refused to take joe citizen to jail and or confiscate their guns because of some stupid law by politards.. hopefully their are still enough free thinkers today... I fear otherwise.. the ranks are being filled with compliant employees who want a paycheck and forget their constitution and what Sheriffs really are

Im trying to leave.. retired from the S.O.(which was great and the best department in the US) for more lenient living and less idiots trying to control us...

DOJ is a joke,, with all the AB 109 crooks we have walking around.. all the dope that is being grown and sold illegally,, the minimal resources we have.. if youre are rural department here youre lucky to even get a backup unit like they really can go after this... well maybe they can because they dont have to do any police work.. just call up joe citizen scaring the crap out of him and telling them to report

I am spending every dollar I can outside this once beautiful state now turned mexicant sewer.. and as soon as my rental sells Ill be living where freedom still matters

I wont shed a tear when some politician gets 211'd here

Bob@Az. @ 5/30/2013 7:34 PM

Yo, notmeofficer, Arizona is right next door and we're still part of America and as such would welcome any LEO with open arms! And we have a Gov. who respects her citizens. Come on over!! Blues, Stay Safe.

Capt. Crunch @ 5/30/2013 7:53 PM

Right on California, lead the way because I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry to own a firearm, because Tom, Dick and Harry have friends or relatives that are dirt bags that can get a hold of their firarms. I love California a safe place to live. Therookie, I feel sorry for you.

Tschako @ 5/30/2013 9:38 PM

That tears it. I'm now making plans to sell my home here and leave Nannyfornia forever.

DesertFuzz @ 5/30/2013 9:41 PM

Um, I might not be the brightest bulb, but if you just go to Arizona and buy ammo you don't have to get the $50 "ammo permit", I buy ammo in AZ all the time, never been asked for ID. Or couldn't you just have one person in the family pay the $50 fee and do all the ammo shopping for everyone in your family and their friends? Politicians are such morons, but it took morons to vote 'em in so there is plenty of blame to go around.

LEONARD MCCARTHY @ 5/30/2013 10:14 PM

You can add my name to the list of retired cops that left California because of the idiot decision makers. I now live in Texas.

George @ 5/30/2013 11:00 PM

California is a complete failure, and you won't see a change until morality and common sense is restored. Glad I moved.....

SWAN @ 5/31/2013 12:00 AM

My Connecticutt buddy was coming out to hike Yosemite with me. He called CA DOJ to ask if there were any "carry rules" (in general, not at the park) he needed to know about before he came out. They suggested he keep his firearm at home. Really, a sworn officer asked to leave his piece at home...wow! We have some real problems in this state!

maddog 81 mm @ 5/31/2013 4:09 AM

I'd hate to be one of the Kalifornia, legistors who voted for any of these nonsensical, and inane laws , passed as gun-control, in the guise of safty of the citizenry, when the first asswipe, decides to go to a school with an , and slaughters dozens of children and no one there to prevent it , because of the gun ban laws! First time it happens these so-called law makers, should be held responsible, and face a court on an indictment as an accesseory, to a crime !! I will not visit , nor reside in Kalifornia !!!

Matt @ 5/31/2013 6:03 AM

My sis and bil moved from Napa to CC,NV because of the liberal lunacy. Took their income's as a Dentist and Orthodonist with them. Ive spent many weeks and many thousands of dollars vacationing there...no more. If you can mess up a place with mountains for skiing, beaches, ports, farming and natural resources thats saying something. Mark me as another active duty PO that will spend his money off the left coast from now on.

Marshal Fine @ 5/31/2013 6:19 AM

NOTE TO AZ AND IND.. These idiots creap across the border and infest your states!! I see it all the time here in Indiana. Chicago baffoons move here with their FIP ideas and start their lib crap here. I think AZ and IND. should build fences on their western borders to keep the FIPs Aand FCP's OUT!! Those are the dumbest people and laws I've read in a L O N G time!

blnite @ 5/31/2013 10:27 AM

Lemonaide out of Lemons:
Anybody out there besides me see a HUGE business opportunity in opening an All-You-Can-Carry ( tm) ammunition store about 30 feet EAST of the California state line in Tahoe?
It would fit right in with the Low-tax Liquor and Tobacco places already there.
Better idea !
The Tahoe casinos could/should give out .9mm hollow-points in slot machines instead of tokens !
10-7

Morning Eagle @ 5/31/2013 10:33 AM

The headline for this article is a lie. These new laws are not about tightening gun control, they are all about more control over the lives of the law abiding. Anyone that actually believes any of these, including the 15 day turn in amnesty, will cause the criminals to become law abiding citizens is beyond naive. I'm trying to be polite. When I no longer had to live in CA, tears of happiness and relief were blurring my vision as I watched it disappear from my rear view mirror knowing I never had to return. That was many years ago and it has gotten steadily worse since.

Buba Gump @ 5/31/2013 12:42 PM

I quote King Leonidas when I say "Come and get them!"

westcoastleo @ 5/31/2013 1:12 PM

I agree Buba Gump, "Come and get them" you LIB Hitler followers....

tedb @ 5/31/2013 3:09 PM

SWAN, Tell your CT buddy to check out 18 USC 926 (c) and (d), aka: HR218, as amended by SB1132. One specifies the carry rights of active duty peace officers in other states and the other specifies the rights of retired LEO's, which was reduced in 2012 to anybody who served honorably for 10 or more years and left LE on their own.

Also, here in NV we get to see the east slope of the Sierras and we still have sensible laws, as long as not too many more Kalifornians and illegal aliens move to Los Angeles...oh, sorry, LAS VEGAS, which is our pain in the arse just like LA. We do have some strange legislators in Clark County, but so far they are harmless. Look at Steven Brooks, who was fired from theNV legislature and is currently reposing in the San Berdo County jail.

PD @ 5/31/2013 11:02 PM

19 years until retirement... can't come soon enough, then I'm out of this state forever. Damn pension has me trapped.

Troop @ 6/2/2013 2:54 PM

More feel good laws that will do nothing. I feel sorry for the Cali cops who are stuck in this mess.

Fondy4 @ 6/2/2013 8:38 PM

Ok so when is some California Lawyer going take up the Good fight. all these laws California is doing ARE UNCONSTITUIONAL Plain and simple and anyone voting for them sould be brought up on charges of violating the US CONSTITUTION

Billy @ 6/3/2013 8:03 PM

I lived in the "Land of Fruits & Nuts" from 1988-91 and when they started to register assualt rifles I sold the Ruger Mini-14 I'd used in the Border Patrol. Glad I got out of there long ago!

Sgt. Mike @ 6/3/2013 10:32 PM

That state legislature is out of control. So glad I left.

Corey @ 6/6/2013 2:56 PM

FYI to California lawmakers... don't come to Mississippi, we have a shall issue on CCW Permits, recognize neighboring states CCW Permits, and carry the biggest magazine you can buy +1 in the chamber... you might pee in your britches if someones shirt tail comes a little too high. You probably don't want to come by too late if you do visit because we have a very nice Castle Law to help keep those cherished goods at home safe.

Retcopper1776 @ 6/8/2013 2:34 AM

All of us still stuck in Ca. need to vote in every election, no matter how much of a waste of time you think it is. Too many conservatives failed to vote last time. Its about sending a message. Call your legislators and tell them every bill you oppose. Call or write your assoc.(IE: PORAC) & let them know they are not speaking for you when they support radical Left Wing (as they say pro labor)candidates. Their endorsments make it appear that all LEO support these fools. NOT TRUE. Quit supporting lib causes. No movies starring lefty, Don't eat or shop at their businesses. Stop supporting Facebook and similar co's. Don't support lib colleges. Mail order items from RED states. If over 50, join AMAC not AARP. Many of these people hate you and what you believe. Join NRA, CPRA. We need to show growth in big #'s. Ck out every co. you do business with. My friend has a sm Business, he has started some price changes, Libs now pay more (he says its pay back for Obamacare, etc) Talk to people, tactfully explain where Libs are going wrong. Youngsters have alot of yrs to work still, do they want to work Pt. their whole life? The future is not bright on this path. I got a life long Dem to swich to Independant (well its a start) If common sense is missing at work it can get you killed. Yet less that 25% of elected officials have any sense. These people are destroying our Country and Constitution, they are dangerous and they need bacground cks similar to LEO"s Lets suggest that ?? Never give up. Pray & take positive action to do your part. Earlier generations fought too hard for this great country to let it be trashed. Stay Safe