ESS Rollbar Tactical Sunglass - ESS Eyepro
The new ESS Rollbar Tactical interchangeable-lens sunglass has a broad wrap that...

Olympic Arms Drops New York Law Enforcement Customers

February 14, 2013  |

Photo courtesy of Olympic Arms.
Photo courtesy of Olympic Arms.

AR-rifle specialist Olympic Arms will no longer sell its products to New York law enforcement officers or agencies, following the state's passage of an assault weapons ban.

In an open letter, the company's president, Brian Schuetz, said the new law was unconstitutional and state lawmakers who passed the law should apologize.

"In short, Olympic Arms will no longer be doing business with the state of New York or any governmental entity or employee of such governmental entity within the state of New York ... until such legislation is repealed, and an apology made to the good people of the State of New York and the American people," Schuetz wrote in the letter.

In mid-January, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a law requiring universal background checks for all gun and ammunition sales. It also bans semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, and pistols with a "military-style feature," such as a flash suppressor or a bayonet mount.

Schuetz said the law ignores U.S. Supreme Court rulings such as Columbia v. Heller (2008), McDonald v. Chicago (2010), and United States v. Miller (1939).

If the leaders of the state of New York are willing to limit the right of the free and law abiding citizens of New York to arm themselves as they see fit under the rights enumerate to all citizens of the United States through the Second Amendment, we feel as though the legislators and government entities within the state of New York should have to abide by the same restrictions," Schuetz added.

Related:

Assault Weapons Ban: A Cure That Could Kill

New York Bans Semi-Auto Rifles, High-Cap Magazines

Tags: Second Amendment, Olympic Arms, AR-Type Rifles, Firearms Manufacturers, Gun Rights Advocacy

Request more info about this product / service / company

njmotorcop @ 2/14/2013 6:45 PM

EVERY gun and ammo manufacturer should follow this company's lead!

Tom Ret @ 2/14/2013 6:46 PM

I would like to see other manufacturers follow suit along with ammunition and magazine suppliers.

Retired NY Boss @ 2/14/2013 7:04 PM

Good for Olympic. Cuomo pushed this through using what's called letter of necessity. This allowed him to by pass the usual legislative process. Letters of necessity are for emergencies. This was no emergency. Except to Cuomo who didn't let a crisis go to waste.

Frank @ 2/14/2013 7:24 PM

If any of you recall Ron Barrett did the same thing in California. Ron refused to do business with law enforcement and within a few years move his entire business out of California.

Doc @ 2/14/2013 8:13 PM

That's a good move, Remington and any other gun or ammo industry should move out of New York and the north east, we would welcome them in the South.

Tackleberry011 @ 2/14/2013 8:15 PM

As a lifelong resident of the State of New York with the exception of my Marine Corps service, and a 22 year law enforcement veteran in both venues, I completely understand the frustration that Olympic Arms is feeling. I, along with many of my peers am disgusted not only by the new laws, but also by the way they were hastily passed by the governor and his allies. However, Olympic Arms position to cease sales to individual officers has an unfortunate echo of the NY laws in that the company has chosen to punish the people that had nothing to do with the said passage. When this ridiculous law is repealed, I would likely think twice about a purchase from Olympic when choosing my patrol rifle.

Ask and Ye Shall Receive @ 2/14/2013 8:53 PM

Fuck it. Maybe Cuomo has forgotten 9/11 and NYC is the next Bagdad, Fallujah, Kabul, etc,.,.,,,, retreat South my brothers. Let's regroup and play offense as it should be unless we welcome this kind of shit on our children's front door. 10-4?

Col.(ret)John A. Hugya US @ 2/14/2013 10:15 PM

The citizens of the state of New York have to be made subserviants of the politicians because of the city of New York and
its self proclaimed prophet mayor Bloomberg . I hope that all gun manufacturers restrict weapons and ammunition sales to all the law enforcement agencies in New York until political sanity returns.

John @ 2/14/2013 10:15 PM

Ya, New York law enforcement (especially N.Y.C.) is so concerned about the constitution. F_ck em. As far as I'm concerned, they can carry muskets.

Tackleberry011 @ 2/14/2013 11:21 PM

In my years of service, I've come to expect the whole "us against them" mentality that this job exudes, but I've always taken comfort in the idea that there are sites like this in which LEOs can come together. With that said, I am disappointed with the remarks I've seen here. Although I can't speak for all police officers in the state, I can say that I have been fighting with the public against these laws that I find extreme and unjust. To suggest that New York law enforcement is unconcerned with the constitution is not only far from the truth but a slap in the face to me and many other officers that have been fighting against this law, in some cases in direct violation of our departments policies regarding involvement in political issues. And despite comments like "F_ck em. As far as I'm concerned, they can carry muskets." I would still, on duty or off, come to the aid of a brother or sister officer in need even if that statement is indeed his or her view.

DEADMAN @ 2/15/2013 12:15 AM

They should move those equipment,gun and ammunition companies out of the state of new york.
All officers in new york,whether they're police deputys,state police or federal agents,know this is bad law,you might want to campaign against these politicians that create their own version of law to suit them,stand up for what's right.
The saying is ( If You're Not Part Of The Solution,You're Part Of The Problem ),(Stand Up And Be Counted.)

Tom Ret @ 2/15/2013 12:42 AM

Tackleberry-thanks for your service to the country but someone, somewhere needs to take a stand against the assault on the 2nd amendment which is so evident today. Without Olympic Arms and others who are willing to say no to the gun grabbers, we may very well look back in a couple years or less and say why didn't someone say no and fight back. I feel for you guys out East but here in the West I don't know any officer who will enforce unconstitutional gun laws. I think you would do yourself, your dept and your country a service by coming together as police organizations and fight the governor over this. No doubt Olympic arms has more orders than they can fill outside of LE. Don't expect under Cuomo that once retired you won't be treated the same as every other citizen while the criminals are not affected by gun or magazine limitations.

Matt @ 2/15/2013 5:36 AM

To my NY Brothers and Sisters, time to choose sides. I'm a 30 year street cop from Oh. When your oath to uphold the constitution conflicts with the laws you are sworn to uphold what will you do? Ive made my choice. Are you PBA's and FOP's vocally opposing this? If not, why? Be careful and God Bless.

Mike @ 2/15/2013 7:58 PM

Tackleberry011- You're correct. And I've been fighting the anti firearm idiots since GCA 1968 was proposed. When I became an LEO in 1972 I continued the struggle. Since I've retired I continue to voice my opinions to the Politicians. This isn't an East/West/North/South issue. We all have to band together and send our message to the Politicians that we will NOT uphold any unconstitutional legislation. "I vas just following orders" didn't work for the NAZI's after the war and it won't work for our LEO brothers and sisters in the future. We will all be judged by our conviction to uphold The Constitution, or our willingness to trash it and side with the traitorous Politicians who are desperately trying to destroy our Republic.

TomEGun @ 2/16/2013 7:27 AM

AWESOME!

Ima Leprechaun @ 2/16/2013 6:54 PM

Probably a good thing since all their guns are illegal in New York.

Ima Leprechaun @ 2/16/2013 7:06 PM

So now Matt@ thinks you can choose what part of the Constitution you should defend. My guess is Matt@ is not really a cop or is one of the many that have never actually read the U.S. Constitution. That's how it anarchy starts when one person decides he is above the law. Use the democratic process to change the Consitution not open revolt. Once you decide to use force against the United States you become just like the Communists. Try using elections and the political process to change the Constitution, that's how we remain a free contry and not the dictatorship you profess to prefer. Before I swore to protect and defend the U.S. and my State Constitution I took the time to read all of it, not just the parts I agreed with. Use the legal process, that's what it is there for and then I can protect your right to use the legal process same as everyone else.

Tom Ret @ 2/16/2013 7:43 PM

Ima- My guess is you are not a human but a leprechaun from Berkeley.

Matt @ 2/17/2013 1:36 PM

Sorry Ima...30 years...fulltime, decorated for valor state and local. No anarchy, just going to move on to work in another field.

Sgt. Mike @ 2/19/2013 7:13 PM

Bravo to an honorable company for standing up for American liberty.

That being said, I pray for safe shifts for our brothers and sisters in NYS.

Sgt. Mike @ 2/19/2013 7:20 PM

@ Ima Leprachaun

If a law passed by congress or a state legislature makes it part of the constitutional the explain why the Supreme Court needs to hear cases to determine the constitutionality of statutes.

Matt has not asked people to choose which part of the constitution is to be defended, because the statute is not part of the U.S. Constitution or part of any State Constitution...it's a statute.

I'm shocked that a man that has "read the constitution" and judged his fellow man lacking knowledge on the topic would make such a mistake. I think it's time for a constitutional law class.

Greg @ 3/15/2013 7:00 AM

Good for all the dealers not selling in states where the citizens are not allowed to own the same guns. Barrett was an early dealer who told Kalifornia they would no longer deal with any police force to support their Barrett products. ESAD Kali politicians (and sadly, the chiefs of various cities supported the 50 cal ban).

Of course, the same officers in New York were ruled as not capable of carrying the evil rifles or guns with dangerous "assault magazines" as some of the politicians called them.