Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Cincinnati Cops Must Aim TASERs at Back

September 19, 2012  |

Cincinnati Police officers who use their TASER X26 must now aim for a subject's back under the agency's new policy announced Tuesday by Chief James Craig.

Officers must only deploy the TASER in self-defense of in defense of someone else, Chief Craig said. And once officers decide to use their TASER, they must try to avoid a frontal hit.

The changes were made following a study in the American Heart Association's Circulation journal concluding that a shock from the TASER "can cause cardiac electric capture and provoke cardiac arrest" as a result of an abnormally rapid heart rate and uncontrolled, fluttering contractions, reports Cincinnati.com.

Related:

TASER: Navigating the Learning Curve

How Tasers Are Used by the Cincinnati PD

Tags: TASER, Less-Lethal Force, Cincinnati PD

Dustin @ 9/20/2012 7:04 PM

Well there's always the sure fire alternative of lead.....

Tom Ret @ 9/20/2012 7:47 PM

So if I understand this correctly, if an officer is being assaulted he can't taze the suspect in front and be in compliance with policy? Sounds to me like this has not been thought through on a street officer level or using common sense. If I'm being assaulted, I don't want to have to think of where I have to hit the suspect to end the assault without facing discipline for violating policy. Also, if it is to be used only in self defense, how it is then justified in court if the suspect is facing away from the officer?

Tom Ret @ 9/20/2012 7:56 PM

If there are multiple officers fighting a suspect, then yes, aiming for the back makes sense. A one on one does not to me but then again being old school, I believed that winning trumped all other considerations.

Jay @ 9/20/2012 8:07 PM

Another person making decisions not working the street. Wonder if policy will change when an officer gets hurt.

Franco @ 9/20/2012 8:31 PM

@Jay, You hit the nail on the head. Maybe if Chief Craig would quit refusing to adhere to the state law and go to the academy he might see things different.

bpd3733 @ 9/20/2012 9:47 PM

WTF?????? Did he really say try to hit them in the back?

Bob@Az. @ 9/20/2012 11:40 PM

Well of course! Just ask the dirtbag your fighting with to kindly turn around and then taz him. I'm sure he'll comply because he's been raised to respect LEOs! And then when your alarm goes off and you've got to get up and face reality you'll laugh. Great way to start the day!! It's clear the chief is a political appointee and not a real cop. Blues, stay safe.

Jwebb @ 9/21/2012 4:31 AM

This goes to show that the University of Pheonix isn't the think tank institution they make it sound. I kn ow that CPD has had a lot of scrutiny in the past several years. IF it wern't for the TASER the Department of Police would still be under federal control. Taser has taught that we shouldn't tase a person in the upper center of mass in the front of a person, this is all well and good, but you do have to shoot where the target is presented. I don't think giving commands to turn around so I can Tase you is going to work. I guess the next thing is to go to firearms and shooting the bad guys. Hoppe the chief doesn't want his officers to start shooting them in the back with a gun.

Firecop @ 9/21/2012 4:39 AM

Next we'll have to wait until the perp is running away from us before we can shoot him. That's not going to go very far in court. I waited until his back was exposed and shot him and then shot him your honor......yea, right. Stay safe.

Mike @ 9/21/2012 6:18 AM

I don't see how a frontal is any different on the body than one in the back? The article states a TASER can cause cardiac electric capture and provoke cardiac arrest as a result of an abnormally rapid heart rate and uncontrolled, fluttering contractions. I am not a medical dictor, but I have taken three rides on the X-26 and I can tell you front, back, top, bottom; No difference. I can also hear the Defense Attorney now saying that since he was hit in the back he was moving away from the Officer and therefore was no longer a threat to him.

dep.c.t.corsi...ret. @ 9/21/2012 6:55 AM

let me get this straight ...most attacks come at you ..im not real smart .. however .. based on my almost 25 yrs experience ..i can only deduce[big word] that the offender is facing you when he charges ...so what do you do ....tell him to turnaround .... this is one of the reasons i retired ..bosses with know common sense or ..street time ......................but they got college

iowa chief @ 9/21/2012 7:32 AM

This chief hasn't even started to think here. So if an Officer is being attacked he/she can not use a taser and must use impact weapons or deadly force? And it seems if the back is the available taser target the bad guy must be moving away so the threat level likely isnt high enough to justify the taser. I am glad as hell i still get out and do cop work and hope I never turn into chiefocrat the way this guy has

Martyb @ 9/21/2012 8:36 AM

Hmmm I see the Chief is a "One Article" wonder... One article... even if it is written by a medical doctor (or a small group of them) does not warrant changing good policy or procedure... such as "All My Officers Go Home Alive and Un-hurt".

Unless the study pool (that's the group of malfactors, ie: dirt bag, scum, scrote, criminal, etc) is subject to a normal scientific screening methods... Healthy adult males 18 - 45 with no predisposition for genetic or aquired pre-existing medical conditions and non-substance abusers you will not have a valid test.

Unfortunately, most law enforcement professionals will not run into these "normal" medical tast subjects.

Any person that is in drugs, under the influence of alcohol, or has any of the many mental health (or a combination of all three issues) throws the "books" out the window.

Sounds like time to get a new chief.

Oldcop @ 9/21/2012 8:59 AM

Next his officers will be required to shoot to wound not kill. It is a less lethal option not a none lethal option and that is the way it should be used. The only real none lethal option it verbal and we all know that doesn't always work.

Real Old Cop @ 9/21/2012 12:49 PM

I'm sick to death of what we will do to protect a asswhole who desparetely deserves a Good Tazing, when are we going to STOP worring about the effects of a taze, I will side with the 99% of Officers who will taze when approprate, quit hamstinging the rest, go ahead taze the bastard again.

Frank @ 9/21/2012 1:17 PM

Ring, Ring, Ring! DOJ Holder this is the ACLU. I want to discuss Taser being used on Skumbags in the USA.
Officer So and So, you now have the option to:
a. Pepper Spray
b. Expandable Baton
c. Taser providing he's between the ages of 16 and 35. Card him and ask for his medical history first.
d. Firearm
The correct choice is d.

Bob@Az. @ 9/21/2012 3:03 PM

Almost forgot: chief, does the term "No Confidence" ring a bell? It damn sure should. Blues, stay safe.

Jim A @ 9/23/2012 2:34 PM

This is what happens when police officers suddenly become doctors. Or politicians. Or Lawyers. Or more concerned about the suspect than the officer or public!!! Idiots at upper level management!!! This guy is an absolute GOOF.

michael @ 9/23/2012 8:29 PM

The Chief of Cincinnati is going to be issuing rubber batons, felt lined plastic handcuffs, cap guns and pepper spray containers that are "test only" type that are filled with water. Now thats a PD I want to work for, their Chief might even get the ACLU Chief of the year award. What a bunch of BS.

Steve @ 9/25/2012 12:23 PM

Here is another example of why the "brass" should have to do their 40 hours of manditory yearly training BACK ON THE STREET. It wouldn't surprise me if this chief hasn't forgotten even being on the street. "What kind of moron would even suggest that you wait for the perp to turn his back on you so you can use your taser. And I wonder how many low life defense attorneys are out there licking their dirty lips hoping to get a case where an officer has tased someone in the back. What is going on with this so-called leader? This guy obviously has no backbone what-so-ever. Pitiful!!!!