ESS Rollbar Tactical Sunglass - ESS Eyepro
The new ESS Rollbar Tactical interchangeable-lens sunglass has a broad wrap that...

Bloomberg Softens Police Strike Comments

July 26, 2012  |

Screenshot: CNN
Screenshot: CNN

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Tuesday began to distance himself from comments he made on a talk show that police officers should strike until the passage of tougher gun-control laws.

At a Tuesday event, Bloomberg told the Wall Street Journal he "didn't mean literally go on strike."

He then added, "In fact, in New York, they can't go on strike. There's a law against it."

During the interview, Bloomberg and Morgan were discussing the July 20 Aurora, Colo., movie theater shooting. Bloomberg said he was frustrated about the availability of ammunition and firearms supplies.

"I don't understand why the police officers across this country don't stand up collectively and say we're going to go on strike," Bloomberg said. "We're not going to protect you unless you, the public, through your legislature, do what's required to keep us safe."

Related:

NYC Mayor: Police Should Strike for Gun Control

Tags: Gun Control Advocacy, Ammunition, 2012 Aurora Shooting

Blaine @ 7/26/2012 6:37 PM

Bloomberg's comments were exactly what I'd expect a member of America's aristocratic elite to say. I am ashamed to say that Mayor Bloomberg calls himself a Republican.

What the article and Bloomberg both omit in this story is that the police already have no obligation to protect us commoners. So says the US Supreme Court in various cases including "Castle Rock v. Gonzales."

The police are here to enforce the law -- not to protect us. They carry a gun for the same reason millions of American non-cops do: To save their own hide -- not yours.

While most cops really do want to protect us, there aren't enough police to give everyone a bodyguard. And, they can't arrest anyone unless there is probable cause to believe that he's already committed a criminal act. That's too late to save your life! Typically, as in Aurora, Colorado a few days ago, the police arrive just in time to investigate the crime.

We need smarter voters -- voters who understand that they're responsible for their own safety and the safety of their families.

Roger C Carpenter @ 7/26/2012 6:55 PM

Gun free zones are hazardous to your health. Imagine what one trained concealed carry permit holder in the audience might have done to stop the threat.

Goldwing @ 7/26/2012 8:04 PM

100 million gun owners and law abiding citizens killed no one today.

The only blood in the streets I hear about are criminals.

jim @ 7/26/2012 8:51 PM

Typical politician trying to back peddle on his comments,the rich ones with all the body guards don't have to worry about defending themselves, They can pay others to protect them. maybe as a show of good faith, they should stop carrying their guns as a good example.

Tom Ret @ 7/26/2012 9:11 PM

Trying to explain this away by saying I didn't mean literally go on strike,
Bloomberg again makes an ass out out of himself.

Dennis Salb @ 7/26/2012 9:29 PM

Guns don't kill people, Big Gulps do!

LEONARD MCCARTHY @ 7/26/2012 9:46 PM

With Bloomberg's past actions, like sending agents out of New York (who has the toughest gun ownership laws) to purchase firearms in Arizona to PROVE buying guns is easy to comments like these just makes me glad he is not the Mayor of my city. Good luck NYPD on your "work slow down" that will really show the public how much you care about them.

slobull @ 7/26/2012 10:26 PM

Bloomberg, can blow it out his ass. He is totally detached from the gun issue, New York's Sullivan law is unconstitutional and has been sense 1850. The people just did not know it. Any of the folks that support him are fringe communist and would enjoy the down fall of the US, George Soros is one one the most supportive of this group and should be declared a lackey of neo-communist.

Ryan @ 7/26/2012 11:52 PM

NYPD officers should go on strike until Bloomberg resigns!

Frank @ 7/27/2012 4:36 AM

Another politicians who thinks he /she knows best. The people of NYC should dump this clown. He's nothing more than a loud mouth idiot with more money than brains. I think he should hire more cops for the good people of NYC.

Ric Walters @ 7/27/2012 4:45 AM

Whoever suggested that the NYPD go on strike till Bloomberg resigns didn't go far enough. Cops anywhere that idiot goes should refuse to be involved in protection details, and not allow NYPD officers to carry their weapons while in town. Then take his arrogant butt to the worst crackhole in town and drop him off.

D @ 7/27/2012 5:37 AM

I nominate Michael Bloomberg and Rhom Emmanuel for the country's top two "moron mayers." All they can do is scheme ways to keep guns out of the hands of their law-abiding citizens, while their criminals kick the snot out of everyone. Come on you two fools, wake up and get a brain.

DPB @ 7/27/2012 6:02 AM

Our forefathers established a Rebublic, made a Declaration of Indepence and the Constitution, enumerated our God given rights in the first Ten Ammendments (via the Bill of Rights), and inlcuded the second amendment for a reason; to establish a nation of laws for all men and to resist tyranny from our government when it no longer obeys those laws or answers to the people. I don't know about you, but I am seeing tyranny!

Dan the Man @ 7/27/2012 6:09 AM

He is such a Dumb A - s ! What kind of idiot would actually Vote for a Clown like this ? It's fricken amazing! Wake up New York City Voters!!!

butch @ 7/27/2012 8:16 AM

Another politican that wants to strip away our freedom. Join the NRA and fight this nonsense. Its time to let our goverment know where we stand.

Frank @ 7/27/2012 10:45 AM

I'm beginning to believe that the IQ of these politicians is directly proportional to the IQ of the voters. So proof me wrong and start voting out politicians who want to take away our rights. If you people on this forum have been around more than a few generations you will recall all the freedom we had in the 60's with fewer taxes. I not better off now than I was four years ago and my 401k's reflect it. Its our fault for fallen asleeps at the wheel when it comes to government.

Gary @ 7/27/2012 6:56 PM

I have recently retired after a 30 year career. I was a firearms instructor, SWAT team leader, and day shift patrol Sgt and Interim Director of Public Safety. During that time I was shot at, and face many other high threat firearms situations. At NO TIME did I ever have a problem witha law abiding citizen. In fact, I would be in fear myself if only that bad guys have firearms. What Mayor Bloomberg fails to understand is that most rank and file officers support the Second Amendment and support theefforts of the NRA. We have more than enough laws currently in the books as it relates to firearms. The street cop is doing hid job but the ball is being dropped at the next level. Perhaps we should not plead felony firearms cases just so the prosecutor can get a case closure. Do not trmple on the rights of the citizen. The Second Amendment give the power "to the people" to rise up against against an unjust goverment. That is what makes this country great!

Dan @ 7/30/2012 4:04 PM

I didn't know Bloomberg was a Republican.

I DO know he is an idiot. I agree that he and Rham Emmanuel are morons. Politicians of that caliber are the ruining this country. We need to vote them out of office.

westcoastleo @ 7/31/2012 1:15 PM

Well I got to this latiest stupid statement late due to work related duties last week, so, I'm kinda late to respond to The Mayor's wind bag hot air statement. As usual he spoke before getting all of his brain in gear and now is trying to get his damage control under control. As I said before, Bloomberg is a worthless pile of rotting human flesh and needs to be replaced. He and his kind of communist followers (Boxer and Feinstein) need to go as they are chipping away the rock of freedom that all of us in LE fight to protect. I'm a gun owner and believe that everyone in this country in good standing, who are not of the criminal element and have obeyed the laws as we all have, should have a right to own a firearm and given the right safety classes and have gone through a extensive background check, should be able to own and or carry the firearm concealed upon his/her person. In the Los Angeles area, I've taken numerous people to jail for carring a loaded firearm in public. All of them were criminals who were gangsters or criminals of other kinds. I have also let several people go after finding loaded firearms in their car or on their person. All of these people had valid identification, the gun was registered to them and had no wants or warrants.

Thank You to you all LEO's and good standing public citizens for backing the Law Enforcement Officers in your community.

WestCoastLeo