Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Product News

S&W Introduces Classic Model 586 Revolver

February 11, 2012  |

Smith & Wesson reintroduced its classic 586 .357 revolver in 4- and 6-inch (shown) barrel lengths. Photo: S&W

Smith & Wesson has re-introduced its Model 586 .357 Magnum revolver, a popular law enforcement sidearm in the 1980s. The revolver first appeared in 1980 and will be reintroduced into S&W's Classic line.

Manufactured with a carbon steel frame and cylinder with a blue finish, the Classic Model 586 harkens back to an era when revolvers were predominately worn on the hips of law enforcement officers. As with the original, the new Classic revolver is chambered for six rounds of .357 Magnum/.38 S&W Special. Available with a 4-inch or 6-inch barrel configuration, the Model 586 features a single-action and double-action trigger pull.

The revolver features an adjustable white outline rear sight and a red ramp front sight. The Classic Model 586 is standard with an authentic square-butt design and is packaged with checkered wood grips featuring the Smith & Wesson medallion. The revolver is also standard with a serrated back strap for improved firearm control when shooting heavy magnum loads.

"The original Model 586 is perhaps best known for its extensive use as a law enforcement commemorative model," said Tony Miele, business manager of S&W's Classic line. "Selected by highway patrol and conservation agencies as an ideal limited edition and anniversary model, the Model 586 has amassed several years of service both in the United States and overseas. Highly collectible and duty-proven, the original Model 586 offered law enforcement a reliable firearm for handling heavy Magnum cartridges."

Tags: Smith & Wesson, Revolvers, Duty Pistols

Request more info about this product / service / company

Marc Coulon @ 2/13/2012 6:47 PM

Best gun ever.

Lt. Tester @ 2/13/2012 8:02 PM

Still have my S&W 586 from 1983. Best all around weapon on the market. Most dependable and reliable weapon out there.

Capt David-retired LA Cou @ 2/14/2012 7:34 AM

Loved mine.....quite a revolver.

Mort @ 2/14/2012 8:17 AM

My Wife bought me one for graduation from the Police Academy. I used it for a while but noticed it would rub on the seat belt holder so I put it back in the box. I have it in mint condition at home. That is one of the classics in Law Enforcement. Capt. T. Mort (ret.)

Chuck @ 2/14/2012 9:16 AM

I went through the academy with this awesome firearm. Got top shooter with it in tha academy, it is now with my younger brother up in Idaho. Looks like I might need to go purchase another one.

James Majros @ 2/14/2012 9:24 AM

I have the 686, stainless version, carried it for years. It is still my favorite.

Scott @ 2/14/2012 3:11 PM

I too carried the SS version in 4in, before that we carried the 66 in 4 in. Won several trophies in competition with both against guys carrying .45 auto. Remember shooting at the range from the 50 yard line?? left hand, right hand, and prone position? these kids now days dont think that they can shoot that far with a four in pistol.

Rollbar @ 6/19/2012 4:31 PM

I also have the 586 in a 8" barrel/full underlug.

Question, will the new 586 front wedge sight fit the older models? I need a new one.

Alex @ 8/17/2012 7:52 AM

I have two Mass. State Police Commemorative Model 586 revolvers. They are in wooden presentation cases with Mass State Police belt buckles and cleaning kits included. Never been fired. These were limited edition revolvers, with between 600 and 700 (I'm not sure of the exact number) and the guns are numbered accordingly. They sold to Mass. State Troopers only, one per customer, but I had a trooper brother who was not going to purchase the piece and turned over the purchase voucher to me. That's how I got to purchase 2 of them. Back in the mid 80's when this gun became available, it sold for 400 or 450 dollars. Today, I've seen them being sold for asking prices of 1000 to 1300 dollars. Personally, I'm not going to get rich waiting for these guns to increase in value, so I'm thinking of target shooting with them. I know that they are worth more if unfired, but I feel like I'm missing out on some good fun at the target range.