ESS Rollbar Tactical Sunglass - ESS Eyepro
The new ESS Rollbar Tactical interchangeable-lens sunglass has a broad wrap that...

Video: Ohio Officer Under Investigation for Threatening CCW Holder

July 21, 2011  |

VIDEO: Ohio Officer Threatens CCW Holder

A Canton (Ohio) Police officer is now under investigation for his conduct at a traffic stop during which he verbally threatened a concealed-carry permit holder.

Officer Daniel Harless was placed on administrative leave in June and has been on sick leave since Monday, reports the Canton Repository.

The 17-minute video recorded on the cruiser's dash cam has been posted to YouTube by Ohioans for Concealed Carry. Officer Harless and his partner approach a vehicle. Officer Harless' partner searches the car, while the driver remains in the vehicle. The licensee tries to turn his head to notify the officer of his concealed weapon and is promptly told to turn away and shut up.

About five minutes into the stop, Officer Harless approaches the driver's door and can be heard saying, "I have a conceal..." At this point, the officer barks at him that he "Better tell the truth."

As the driver exits the vehicle, the officers realize he is armed. Officer Harless tells the driver, "Right now, the shit you just pulled I could blast you right in the mouth."

The driver is eventually detained, handcuffed, and placed in the back of the cruiser.

Source: Canton Repository, Ohioans for Concealed Carry

Tags: Concealed Carry, Vehicle Stops, Canton (Ohio) PD, Second Amendment

doug thompson @ 7/21/2011 1:23 PM

Good, the video says enough about the character of the man, who wears the Uniform - and shouldn't

Improper procedures left and right.

Miranda rights? where?

Been a CCW carrier for 16 years now, never have seen such abuse of the title of Officer

tom @ 7/21/2011 1:33 PM

typical cop. must have had his feelings hurt in school.

Andrew @ 7/21/2011 1:49 PM

Completely unprofessional and indefensible behavior. Take his badge and send him to the nearest mall to work security.

John @ 7/21/2011 2:10 PM

This cop is the idiot. And his partner is an idiot for agreeing with his actions.

If the man that had the gun had criminal intent he would not have attempted to tell the cop he had a concealed carry permit, and given that those cops didn't even investigate the driver for nearly 5 minutes, the driver could have surprised them with an attack.

But did he? No, because he was a law abiding citizen during this incident.

Abusive fools in uniform.

Give them a janitorial job in a public latrine in India.

Deadman @ 7/21/2011 7:03 PM

The dispatcher should have run the plate and given the ccw information before they got out of the car,their complete lack of regard for their safety has no viable excuse,all of the information should have been relayed to officers before they approached and their not checking out all of the parties ,they didn't check the female and they allegedly know her to be a prostitute.Their attitude both before and after they found out he had a gun was stupid,complacent,arrogant and borders on criminal.If they survive this,i see extended vacation(suspension)anger management training,a public apology and some serious retraining and probation.I've had probationary officers stop me while in uniform,order me out of car and pull a gun on me,their training officers thought it was funny,i didn't and approach the officer telling them to holster weapon,i know,not bright,but shit happens and the hair on the back of my nect was in overdrive.There are alot of people in uniform that are there because of paycheck or they know somebody ,not because of aptitude.I bet the passenger officer has asked his supervisor several times for a new level headed partner.

Tom @ 7/21/2011 7:12 PM

I try to be supportive of fellow officers who have a stressful and dangerous job and give them the benefit of the doubt. In this case as it reads, the officer overreacted badly. I still don't know why he arrested the subject. Unfortunately, the officer could have earned numerous commendations prior to this incident but this incident will no doubt define him. The officer needs to come to grips with the fact that not all the people he encounters are scum bags and don't deserve to be treated as such. It sounds to me like the stress of the job over the years has taken away the officers's objectivity. The city will likely pay for this incident and rightfully so. The officer threatening the subject was inexcusable and indefensible.

Canton resident @ 7/21/2011 8:34 PM

Who is the freaking moron here? It sure as he'll isn't the driver. These two officers don't deserve the title and sure don't deserve to serve the people of Canton, Ohio. Prosecute the cop to the fullest. Take away his right to carry a firearm. People who make death threats are sure as he'll not the people I want to protect and serve me. And for the idiot partner who did nothing to mitigate things, well he is just as much of a moron.

gary wilson @ 7/21/2011 8:39 PM

The officer presumes too much. Apparently no one taught him that it is easier to start out nice and end up nasty than to start out nasty and try to play make-up. He's been watching the wrong cop shows on TV (even Reno 911 wasn't this silly).

Surely there is something else going on with the officer(s). It's inconceivable to me that this is his 'norm' and him not have a jacket an inch thick for every year he was employed. This is an occasion that the dash-cam might be worthwhile. If this is his 'norm', then it is more of a supervisor issue than an officer issue.
I could only watch a little over half of it... got too boring.

Paul @ 7/22/2011 9:11 AM

As a retired police officer and supervisor I cannot list all the incorrect things these officers did during this stop. Rather let me say whatever this officer has weighing on his mind to cause him to be so inept Until these pychological issues are resolved he should not be wearing a badge and more importantly should have no official contact with the public. As he is now, he is a danger to the public and has no respect for the law he is charged to to enforce. HE IS DANGEROUS to himself and others.

nodonutforyou @ 7/22/2011 9:34 AM

Typical cop. Police departments deliberately hire dumb high school drop outs on roids like this guy. As far as I'm concerned, this guy should be sterilized and forced to dig ditches for the rest of his life.

scsu74 @ 7/22/2011 10:37 AM

wow, is all i can say about that. Bad on so many levels...

DaveSAM25G @ 7/22/2011 8:43 PM

This was wrong and first thing that came to mind for me was the great book management of aggressive behavior (MOAB) his own!

More than one thing done wrong in this traffic stop..............I think he was so pissed that he had not found out earlier than he did to find out the driver was carrying. He was more mad at himself and was taking it out on the driver. I've seen this very thing happen before and I was the first to say, "Knock it off, you should have checked long before now and you know that these things are going to happen........stay alert." The other officer there did nothing to defuse the situation and was very lax in his duties. Bad deal all around.

Bob Smith @ 7/23/2011 9:15 PM

I have taken the CCW class twice. You are instructed to immediately tell a police officer you have a concealed weapon and permit. Doesn't appear the officers allowed him to make that announcement! I think I would have blerted it out anyway as soon as possible. I think the driver wasn't forceful enough in that regard! But, the policeman's actions are very scary to someone that legally carries a firearm and those commenting above me have more experience in what he did wrong! Being a policeman is not your everyday 9-5 job where youbare trying to do a good job! The stress must be quite high! Not sure I would want or could do the job! Have a lot of respect for them! This guy however needs to be doing something else because he either wasn't trained correctly, which I have a hard time believing or he has lost his professional edge and must be relegated to a less stressful job!

George @ 7/28/2011 5:57 AM

Its unfortunate, this officer is a bully and will fabricate an Aform in a second, Im certain this behaviour is this officers daily MO. We need to weed the bad from our departments and stand for nothing less than honorable conduct. Sure there will always be sandbaggers among us but we can start by this bully cop. One last thing, unlawful search,falsifying a police report,unlawful arrest etc. Not to mention that I would not like this guy backing me up because as an xMarine his tactics are poor and dangerous.

TripWire @ 7/28/2011 7:17 PM

This video should go into the RoidRage Cop Hall of Fame. I can't believe this to be this officers first outrageous outburst. I would love to be the drivers attorney, he is going to have an easy payday. What has Canton's Infernal Affairs been doing, sleeping on the job? Can you believe that Harless has been on PAID leave since June? Unbelieveable.

Michelle @ 7/28/2011 8:04 PM

Got that? Alan Schulman believes the violence and profanity-laced tirade from one of his city's police officers, who told a CHL-holder he "shoulda taken two steps back, pulled my Glock 40, and just put ten bullets in your ass and let you drop" is the fault of the Second Amendment, and not the angry cop. what abpout folowinf the law, Schlam said that those pople,were in a bad nieghbor hood when in the hood having a gun can be a good thiong if its is in the hand of a law abing perosn and submit that citzten was just that. Sgham eon the City of Canton and Shame on that City Councilman or is it Counselman? for what he thinks is right. Is his answer to kill all you dod not nagree with is the City of Cnaton police force really a bunch of Schulmans' vigilantes?

william davis @ 8/9/2011 10:04 AM

I have been trying to keep up with this story, and hope that the officer get's what is coming to him. There is no excuse for someone in his position to act like that. If he would have kept his mouth shut and listened he would have known that the driver had a CCW permit from what I saw he kept trying to gilve it to the IDIOT I am out of GA and sure hope I don't run into him on a vacation, we have friend's in the canton akron area and I also have a CCW. I would probably be in deep S--- if I got stopped there.