Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Reviews : Arsenal

Bersa BP 9 CC Pistol

Affordable, concealable, and shootable, this new polymer pistol was built for off-duty and backup carry.

April 19, 2012  |  by Paul Scarlata - Also by this author

The BP 9 CC uses a variation of the tried and true Browning locking system in which the hood of the barrel chamber moves up into and bears against the front edge of the ejection port. As the pistol is fired, the slide unit moves to the rear and then the barrel articulates on the slide stop shaft, pulling it down out of the ejection port, allowing the slide to continue to the rear, extracting and ejecting the spent cartridge case. The recoil spring, located under the barrel, then pulls the slide forward, picking the next round out of the magazine and chambering it. As the slide goes into battery, the barrel hood moves up into the ejection port again, locking the two units together.

Besides its DAO trigger and loaded chamber indicator, the BP 9 CC has a passive firing pin safety that prevents the pistol from firing without a complete stroke of the trigger. A magazine disconnect safety prevents it from being fired with the magazine removed. The Integral Blocking System on the slide is activated by turning it 45 degrees with a supplied key, which locks the sear and slide in place, preventing unauthorized firing of the pistol.

Fit and Finish

Eagle Imports, Bersa's U.S. distributor, provided me with a BP 9 CC to evaluate for POLICE. My sample pistol displayed very good materials, fit, and finish.

I was also taken with the BP 9 CC’s ergonomics, which provided a naturally pointing pistol. The thin cross-section of the grip, which I believe is one of the narrowest of this class of polymer pistols, will make this pistol a natural for persons with smaller hands.

The DAO trigger had a bit more than a half-inch of take-up before it broke and little overtravel. While the trigger had a bit of staging at halfway through the stroke and felt a bit "mushy," according to my RCBS trigger pull scale it took only 4.9 pounds of pressure to fire.

The controls on the BP 9 CC were well located and easy to manipulate. However, the magazine releases required quite a bit of pressure before you could drop the magazine.

Shooting Drills

I test fired the BP 9 CC from a rest at 15 yards with three different types of 9mm ammunition. This produced groups ranging in size from two to slightly more than three inches, more than adequate for a compact service pistol.

After chronographing was complete I set up a pair of combat targets, belted on a Gould & Goodrich Yaqui Belt Slide holster, and proceeded to run the BP 9 CC through the following drills:

At five yards, draw pistol and double-tap each target, firing the pistol with an unsupported (one-handed) grip. Re-holster and repeat.

At five yards, draw pistol and fire four rounds on each target, "head" shots only. Perform a combat reload and fire four rounds on each target, body shots only.

At seven yards, draw pistol and fire four rounds on each target. Use slow, aimed fire.

The Bersa BP 9 CC performed very well in these drills, although the mushy trigger caused a number of my shots to impact to the left of point of aim. The sights were large and easy to acquire, and recoil control was excellent for a pistol with such a narrow grip. The only fly in the ointment was the inordinate amount of effort required to depress the magazine releases slowed down reloads.

All in all the BP 9 CC proved to be a fine handling pistol with more than acceptable accuracy and good recoil control for its size and weight. I feel it would make a very practical concealed carry, backup, or off-duty weapon.

Paul Scarlata has served as an auxiliary police officer and is a frequent contributor to POLICE.

Bersa BP 9 CC Pistol Specs:

Caliber: 9mm Parabellum

Capacity: 8 rounds

Weight (empty): 21.5 ounces

Barrel: 3.3 inches

Magazine: Detachable box

Overall Length: 6.35 inches

Height: 4.8 inches

Width: 0.94 inches

Construction: Steel slide; Textured polymer frame

Finish: Black matte or nickel

Sights: Front white dot; Rear dual white dots

Trigger: Double-action only

Features: Ambidextrous magazine releases, magazine safety, Integral Blocking System (lock), loaded chamber indicator, tactical rail, carrying box, spare magazine, owner's manual

Price: $429 (matte finish); $449 (nickel finish)

«   Page 2 of 2   »

Tags: Bersa, 9mm, Backup Guns, Concealed Carry, Firearms Reviews

Request more info about this product / service / company

Q Morgan @ 5/2/2012 8:35 AM

I recently purchased this gun and I love it. It's small and speak but not too small. I purchased it for the home and find it easy to conceal as well. Thanks Bersa

Buster @ 8/14/2012 9:15 PM

Great gun, just hard to release mag

RTB @ 10/24/2012 5:47 PM

What does the gun retail for ?? thanks

Mark E @ 11/20/2012 11:41 AM

First let me say that I am a Bersa fan. I have a Thunder 9mm Ultra Carry, 3 Thunder .380s, and a model 94 in .380. My wife just bought the BP9cc as her 1st concealed carry gun. We looked at the Walther PPS and the Ruger LC9. The Bursa ran about $100-$175 less than the others and has a much better trigger pull the ether of the others. It shoots well and I was very impressed with it. I agree about the Magazine release being too stiff. I would buy another one and recommend it heartily. It does not shoot as well as a Glock 19 but has the Springfield .40 Sub compact beat hands down. My wife has small hands w/o much strength in them. This is a great gun for her or anyone else that is looking for a small 9mm. It is an exceptional value. Like all Bursas I would say buy it now as it will catch on and the price will go up.

marcusking @ 12/4/2012 6:13 PM

I recently bought one from a gun show and haven't receive mine yet, still waiting for the license to be approved. This is my first handgun. Really excited to try it in the range.

John Sol @ 12/10/2012 4:18 AM

@marcusking: bro, join bersachat.com..

Josh @ 12/26/2012 9:16 AM

Purchased this gun about 6 months ago as my first concealed carry gun for $380. Very easy to conceal and seems very reliable for the price.

Michelle @ 1/9/2013 9:25 PM

Just bought the bp 9mm yesterday and already had to take it Ito the warranty center. The guide raid screw on the front pops out whenever I assemble the gun. It is a really great feeling gun that I am excited to shoot. Have any of you had this sort of problem?

Ray @ 1/18/2013 4:25 PM

I too had the problem with the guide rod sticking out when reassembing the gun. In looking at the frame, the you will see a slight gap between the composit material and steele fire control where the recoil spring washer fits back into the receiver. That is where the guide rod becomes wedged and protrudes out. It should fit back into the steel fire control base, but it is catching slightly forward in the gap between the frame and fire control. Not sure how to fix it, I just work around it in reassembly and has not really been a problem once I figured out what was causing the problem.

One thing I will say, I absolutely love this gun. Shoots well, easy to carry and the trigger is fantastic.

Trever Farnsworth @ 11/14/2013 4:39 PM

I bought mine Nov, 2013. Only got a quick chance to fire it at the range with a 50 rd box of Remmington. I cleaned the gun before firing. Had many failures to feed properly. The round would stick 1/2 way up the feed ramp. I could slap the slide forward, AK style. Once if fired, outside of the 1st two rds from each magazine it would work. After the first two mags loaded with 7 rounds (8 rd mags), I loaded 2-3 rounds to see how many Fail to Feed out of a box of 50. Too many FTF.
I had a few JHP rounds from another gun with me. It feed and fired all those with no isse. Not quite sure if it is a magazine, ammo or some othre issue. That said, if is very easy to shoot. Trigger is not as soft as many has said. I have a Sigma 9 & XD40. The BP 9 didn't feel like a hair trigger after shooting those. I will clean it again and try some other brands of ammo. I picked this over the Shield & Tarus 709. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

Rocky @ 4/20/2014 11:10 AM

Why would anyone use Remington ammo in any semi-auto? Take a close look at the crimps. You will find they are at the top, the bottom and the middle of the various bullets. The crimps are tight, soft and all stages in-between. In fact Remington holds the record consistently for wide grouping. Their Quality Control are out to lunch. Look at the new pistol Remington has put out. Not even a good Beta proto-type. If you want a failure to feed in any gun just use Remington. We should supply the crap free to the street gangs and we could save of buying bullet proof vests! Please use top shelf ammo on the gun tests and Remington is no where near the top.

Trever Farnsworth @ 11/14/2014 6:14 AM

Updating from last year. I sent the bp9 and the gave the feed ramp a once over. Not a glass like polishing. But it did the job. I have been very happy ever since. It is my carry pistol and I have no fear of it failing.

The BP9 is very easy to shoot well. Very easy to conceal. I also forget I have it at times.

ron @ 11/30/2014 8:00 AM

I bought a BP9CC a couple of months ago. I've put about 500 rounds through it. I also have a Glock 17 and a Bersa Thunder 380. This is my daily concealed carry gun. Its a great compromise, large enough to shoot like a full size gun, yet small enough that its easy to conceal. I've had no issues, not FTF or FTE. I did give it a good cleaning before i took it out. I've had a couple of the instructors at the range ask if they could shoot it. They both loved it and wanted to know where I got it. Great gun with great ergonomics. It just feels right when I'm shooting it.