Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Reviews : Arsenal

Bersa BP 9 CC Pistol

Affordable, concealable, and shootable, this new polymer pistol was built for off-duty and backup carry.

April 19, 2012  |  by Paul Scarlata - Also by this author

Photo: Michael Hughes
Photo: Michael Hughes

Editor's note: View our Bersa BP 9 CC photo gallery for extended coverage of this pistol.

It's likely that many American shooters have never heard of the Argentine firearms manufacturer Bersa, but I believe that is about to change. And with good reason.

Bersa has a proud history. The company was founded in the mid-1950s by three Italian mechanical engineers: Benso Bonadimani, Ercole Montini, and Savino Caselli. Montini worked for Beretta in Italy before he emigrated to Argentina. Initially, the three Italian engineers produced parts for the now defunct Argentine arms manufacturer Ballester Molina. Then they went out on their own to start Bersa.

In 1959 Bersa introduced a .22 caliber pistol, the Modelo 60, which later evolved into the Modelo 62. Both the Modelo 60 and Modelo 62 were produced from a modified Beretta design and both sold extremely well.

As the company grew, it produced many pistol models in increasingly more powerful calibers. Finally, in 1989, Bersa developed and marketed its first full-size combat pistol, the Modelo 90, chambered for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge.

The Modelo 90 was followed in 1994 by the company's most popular models at that time, the Thunder line. Thunder pistols had steel slides, alloy frames, double-action/single-action triggers, and slide-mounted decocking/safety levers. The Thunder 32 and Thunder 380 were blowback designs while the Thunder 9 and Thunder 40 featured a locked breech short-recoil system. Both the Thunder 9 and Thunder 40 came with high-capacity magazines.

Today the Thunder 9 is the standard sidearm of the Argentine Armed Forces, Argentine Federal Police, Buenos Aires Provincial Police, and a number of other South American law enforcement agencies. But U.S. law enforcement officers have never shown much interest in Bersa handguns.

Polymer-Framed

Bersa—like many handgun manufacturers—has come to the conclusion that it needs a polymer-framed lightweight pistol to gain acceptance in the North American concealed market. The result is the (Bersa Polymer 9mm Concealed Carry) BP 9 CC, a pistol designed for concealed carry for off duty or backup.

The BP 9 CC is similar in both looks and function to many of the market's most popular compact polymer-framed pistols. It has a steel slide with a square profile that reciprocates on four rails integral with the steel "slide guide" insert in the frame. The drift adjustable sights are made from steel and feature a three-dot system. At the rear of the ejection port is a loaded chamber indicator that provides both a visual and tactile indication of the pistol’s condition.

Ergonomically, the BP 9 CC is well designed for concealed carry. It is a striker-fired design, which means there is no external hammer, while its double-action-only (DAO) trigger does away with the necessity for external safety levers. In fact the only external controls are the trigger, ambidextrous magazine releases, and slide stop lever. The result is a smooth, snag-free exterior, which is just what you want on a handgun that is designed to be carried and drawn from concealment.

The BP 9 CC features grasping grooves that allow the shooter to retract the slide even with wet hands or when wearing gloves. On the right rear of the slide you will find the Integral Blocking System (IBS). But more about that later.

Thanks to its polymer construction the BP 9 CC's grip is only 0.92 inches wide. A Picatinny-type rail on the dust cover allows the user to mount lights or other tactical devices while textured "finger locator" pads are positioned above the trigger guard to help remind the shooter where to place his or her trigger finger when not actually firing the pistol.

A single-column, eight-round magazine is retained by ambidextrous magazine releases and has an extended base pad to provide a full, three-finger purchase on the pistol. Magazines fall free loaded or unloaded, slide forward or locked back.

Tags: Bersa, 9mm, Backup Guns, Concealed Carry, Firearms Reviews

Request more info about this product / service / company

Q Morgan @ 5/2/2012 8:35 AM

I recently purchased this gun and I love it. It's small and speak but not too small. I purchased it for the home and find it easy to conceal as well. Thanks Bersa

Buster @ 8/14/2012 9:15 PM

Great gun, just hard to release mag

RTB @ 10/24/2012 5:47 PM

What does the gun retail for ?? thanks

Mark E @ 11/20/2012 11:41 AM

First let me say that I am a Bersa fan. I have a Thunder 9mm Ultra Carry, 3 Thunder .380s, and a model 94 in .380. My wife just bought the BP9cc as her 1st concealed carry gun. We looked at the Walther PPS and the Ruger LC9. The Bursa ran about $100-$175 less than the others and has a much better trigger pull the ether of the others. It shoots well and I was very impressed with it. I agree about the Magazine release being too stiff. I would buy another one and recommend it heartily. It does not shoot as well as a Glock 19 but has the Springfield .40 Sub compact beat hands down. My wife has small hands w/o much strength in them. This is a great gun for her or anyone else that is looking for a small 9mm. It is an exceptional value. Like all Bursas I would say buy it now as it will catch on and the price will go up.

marcusking @ 12/4/2012 6:13 PM

I recently bought one from a gun show and haven't receive mine yet, still waiting for the license to be approved. This is my first handgun. Really excited to try it in the range.

John Sol @ 12/10/2012 4:18 AM

@marcusking: bro, join bersachat.com..

Josh @ 12/26/2012 9:16 AM

Purchased this gun about 6 months ago as my first concealed carry gun for $380. Very easy to conceal and seems very reliable for the price.

Michelle @ 1/9/2013 9:25 PM

Just bought the bp 9mm yesterday and already had to take it Ito the warranty center. The guide raid screw on the front pops out whenever I assemble the gun. It is a really great feeling gun that I am excited to shoot. Have any of you had this sort of problem?

Ray @ 1/18/2013 4:25 PM

I too had the problem with the guide rod sticking out when reassembing the gun. In looking at the frame, the you will see a slight gap between the composit material and steele fire control where the recoil spring washer fits back into the receiver. That is where the guide rod becomes wedged and protrudes out. It should fit back into the steel fire control base, but it is catching slightly forward in the gap between the frame and fire control. Not sure how to fix it, I just work around it in reassembly and has not really been a problem once I figured out what was causing the problem.

One thing I will say, I absolutely love this gun. Shoots well, easy to carry and the trigger is fantastic.

Trever Farnsworth @ 11/14/2013 4:39 PM

I bought mine Nov, 2013. Only got a quick chance to fire it at the range with a 50 rd box of Remmington. I cleaned the gun before firing. Had many failures to feed properly. The round would stick 1/2 way up the feed ramp. I could slap the slide forward, AK style. Once if fired, outside of the 1st two rds from each magazine it would work. After the first two mags loaded with 7 rounds (8 rd mags), I loaded 2-3 rounds to see how many Fail to Feed out of a box of 50. Too many FTF.
I had a few JHP rounds from another gun with me. It feed and fired all those with no isse. Not quite sure if it is a magazine, ammo or some othre issue. That said, if is very easy to shoot. Trigger is not as soft as many has said. I have a Sigma 9 & XD40. The BP 9 didn't feel like a hair trigger after shooting those. I will clean it again and try some other brands of ammo. I picked this over the Shield & Tarus 709. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

Rocky @ 4/20/2014 11:10 AM

Why would anyone use Remington ammo in any semi-auto? Take a close look at the crimps. You will find they are at the top, the bottom and the middle of the various bullets. The crimps are tight, soft and all stages in-between. In fact Remington holds the record consistently for wide grouping. Their Quality Control are out to lunch. Look at the new pistol Remington has put out. Not even a good Beta proto-type. If you want a failure to feed in any gun just use Remington. We should supply the crap free to the street gangs and we could save of buying bullet proof vests! Please use top shelf ammo on the gun tests and Remington is no where near the top.