Product News

LAPD Purchases Dodge, Ford Patrol Vehicles

June 14, 2013  |

LAPD Sgt. Joel Miller poses next to an LAPD Dodge Charger Pursuit. Photo by Blake Bobit.
The Los Angeles Police Department has ended its patrol-car purchasing drought, adding 188 new 2013 model-year patrol vehicles from Chrysler and the Ford Motor Company.

Earlier this year, the LAPD ordered 100 Dodge Charger Pursuit patrol cars, 50 Ford Police Interceptor Utility vehicles, and 38 Ford P.I. sedans. For the first time in four years, the city provided the agency funding to purchase new vehicles. The $6.5 million in funding came from the fiscal year ending June 30.

The new vehicles will replace aging Ford Crown Vics in the agency's fleet. The Dodge Chargers are expected to be on patrol by the end of July. The Ford P.I. vehicles will be on the street in October, LAPD's fleet manager, Vartan Yegiyan, told POLICE Magazine.

"While the funding was not available, personnel were diligently testing the new police vehicles in the market from Chevrolet, Dodge, and Ford," Yegiyan said. "There is a chance we may get more money for next year."

In its purchase order for the Chargers, the LAPD acquired rear-wheel-drive marked units powered by a 3.6-liter V-6 engine. The LAPD also bought all-wheel Ford P.I.s powered by a 3.7-liter V-6 power plant.

Choosing a V-6 Charger over the V-8 version wasn't a difficult decision, because it gives officers sufficient performance while giving the agency good fuel economy, Yegiyan said.

"There is no real advantage for us to have more horsepower or speed because these cars go fast enough to do the job," Yegiyan added. "They have equivalent performance and speed compared to the Crown Vics."

The department is now equipping the vehicles to make them patrol-ready. Some of the vehicles will get a vinyl wrap rather than two-tone paint. The agency has also hired an outfitter to add generic hardware, emergency lights, and sirens.

Tags: Ford Police Interceptor, Dodge Charger, LAPD, Patrol Cars

Request more info about this product / service / company

Troop @ 6/15/2013 1:48 PM

Performance equivalent to the crown Vic means that its slow and outdated.

Brian @ 6/17/2013 12:33 PM

You obviously haven't driven the V-6 Charger. It has more than enough power for city patrol. The Hemi isn't for everyone or every agency.

Henry Johnson @ 6/17/2013 12:42 PM

My only concern with driving the Charger is the streamlined back. I do not get the visibility that I want. I am 6'3". It is sometimes difficult to see what is around me.
Patrolling the streets in the L.A. area is different than patrolling the highways. The streets are narrow. Pedestrians (some of them are gang members) our about and I want to see as much as possible.

David @ 6/17/2013 12:44 PM

How about interior pictures of the cars after up fitting .

Aaron @ 6/17/2013 12:59 PM

What's a vinyl wrap?

kilrbc @ 6/17/2013 1:31 PM

Aaron, a vinyl wrap is when they cover the vehicle in printed vinyl film. Cheaper than painting and when the unit is retired all you need to do is peel the film off. The auction value is better when the vehicle is not black-n-white.

WebEdPaul @ 6/17/2013 1:40 PM

@David Good idea. The vehicles haven't been delivered yet, so stay tuned.

Brian @ 6/17/2013 3:04 PM

I can take some as I just up fitted some new Chargers. Unsure where to post them though...

Jim A @ 6/17/2013 4:24 PM

I work for a very small department in the Columbia River Gorge and just got the new Ford Police Interceptor SUV 6 weeks ago. It is a great vehicle and I love the extra height, which makes it easier to get in and out. The visibility out of that car with screens and tinted windows in the back half is NOT very good. It is quick, but does not corner as well as my old (2003) Impala, which was a wonderful driving car (but did not hold up past 85000 miles). Ford really does have a better idea with this one. (I am ashamed to say, since I am a Chevy guy.) The Washington State Patrol has ordered 100 of these.

I still remember the Dodge Diplomats, Jeep Cherokees (I got my first in 1988) and old model Caprices (which a pursuit suspect rammed and totalled in 1999) and have fond memories of them all.

WebEdPaul @ 6/17/2013 6:12 PM

@Brian Go ahead and email them to paul.clinton@policemag.com. Thanks!

Tim M @ 6/17/2013 7:42 PM

Chevy dropped the ball again!....Would have liked to see them in LAPD black and white.

Tom C. @ 6/18/2013 5:54 AM

Has anyone retro-fitted back up cameras in their squads? I'm wondering if any of the in-car video systems would have an input that could be used for a rear mounted camera. I know some if not all of the manufacturers offer them but so far I've read nothing about them for LE use. Most of our crashes are relatively minor , yet costly ones due to backing into a fixed object. Cameras are cheap now and maybe we can use an existing monitor to view the image.

Tim T @ 6/18/2013 8:25 AM

Tom C., if you want a back-up camera, just order it with your Ford Interceptor instead of looking for aftermarket. Ford puts the display in your rear-view mirror

Tom C. @ 6/18/2013 9:25 AM

Thanks, Tim, but we already got some PI Utilities without them. And, I would like to add them to our CVPIs. That's why I'm asking about retro-fitting them.

mike @ 6/18/2013 9:57 AM

This is news???

Bob@Az. @ 6/18/2013 11:26 AM

mike, this is info about the new squads and updates on equipment, something those on the street rarely get prior to being dropped into a unit that isn't equiped as it should be. Nice to know Ford makes the back-up cameras an option. Blues, Stay Safe.

FireCop @ 6/18/2013 2:43 PM

I'll be interested in how the V-6 Chargers hold up. I'll have to replace my 2010 Crown Victoria the year after next and actually was considering the V-6 Charger for the better fuel economy; I spend lots of time on the highway. Time will tell....

JG @ 6/18/2013 6:07 PM

FireCop...the 5.7.hemi V8 actually gets 2 mpg less than the V6 so it's not that big of a difference. The prices are the same for both (V6 vs V8). The hemi will probably serve you better as you do a lot of highway miles.

FireCop @ 6/19/2013 5:03 AM

JG thanks for the reply. Actually, the State contract price here in SC on the Charger with the hemi is just over $23,000 and we deduct almost $1400 if we take the V-6. That pays for some 'other' equipment. The interesting item is the mpg...why give up the performance for only 2 mpg? Again, thanks.

Tom C. @ 6/19/2013 6:09 AM

I had read that the twin turbo Ecoboost 3.5L V6 option on the AWD PI Sedan was over $3100 and that the non-turbo 3.7L V6 was only about $100. With towns cutting staffing, programs, and equipment, I'm not sure how a department could justify spending over $3K just to go faster when the 3.7L is quite a bit faster than the old V8 CVPIs. I'm surprised Ford offers the twin turbo engine at all. The 3.7L should be standard across the board on both thye Sedan and Utility (already standard).

Doris Clayton @ 6/28/2013 2:00 AM

Great choice by LAPD.

Roger Gonzalez @ 6/28/2013 2:08 AM

i'd like to see those <a href="http://www.donwhites.com">speed tests</a> with funeral´╗┐ cars!

Tom C. @ 7/1/2013 5:49 AM

Happy to see that they stayed with AWD on the Fords rather than go on the cheap and get FWD. The former offers better balance even in climates without snow and they offer an easy transition for drivers used to RWD CVPIs and Tahoes.

Don @ 9/8/2013 10:40 AM

I drive a 2004 Crown Vic,one of the best looking sedans on the road and is very fast contrary to some of the rediculous comments about being slow,thats news to many of us ,where our crown vics have embarrased many drivers from a standing start as they disappear in the mirror.

y bye a slug @ 12/26/2013 5:50 PM

Maybe now LAPD finally can stay up with a Toyota Camary 4 cylinder. It would take a V-8 to stay up with a V-6 Camary. Two, 200 lb cops, wearing 25bs of gear, one shotgun, one AR-15, Radio, light bar, front door balistic panels, extra ammo, Tasers, road flares, blankets, first aid kits, computers, cameras, ALPR etc, adds about 500-800 lb per car. And when those cars are tested, its by one person, no gear, with none of the above stuff.

like mushrooms @ 12/26/2013 6:04 PM

Not mentioned is that LAPD disables the AM/FM radios.

During the L.A. Riots, we found out what was happening and where by listening to live News Helicopter AM radio broadcasts. Throughout So. Cal, Cops depended on AM radio and TV for current information. Many cops brought in radios & tv's to find out where hot spots were developing. Communication between Police departments was terrible then and is terrible now.

Vicente @ 2/2/2014 2:28 PM

its about being the hero to someone who never wanted one, to protect the innocent and not harm them.