Product News

Ford Adds 3.7-Liter Engine To Police Interceptor Sedan

September 13, 2012  |

Photo courtesy of Ford.
Photo courtesy of Ford.

Ford has upgraded its 2013 Police Interceptor sedan, by adding the 3.7-liter V-6 variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) engine previously available only on the Police Interceptor Utility.

The engine will provide increased power and efficiency for patrol officers, according to Ford. The automaker added the new engine after feedback from officers on its advisory board.

The 3.7-liter V-6 is rated to provide 305 horsepower and 279 lb.-ft. of torque. The Police Interceptor sedan is now available with three powertrain options—a 3.5-liter V-6, 3.7-liter V-6, and 3.5-liter V-6 EcoBoost engine.

It offers fuel economy of 25 mpg on the highway, 18 mpg in the city, and 21 mpg combined, according to Ford.

Tags: Ford Police Interceptor, Patrol Cars, Managing a Police Fleet, Fuel Costs

Request more info about this product / service / company

scpdblue @ 9/14/2012 9:52 AM

BRING BACK THE CROWN VIC.

Steve Adams @ 9/14/2012 11:51 AM

I agree, bring back the Crown Vic! New Interceptor is WAY to small inside for all the equipment that is needed, then look at the operators space! Way to small!

Deez Nuts @ 9/14/2012 12:31 PM

@Steve, it's "TOO" not "TO". Please tell me you aren't submitting police reports like that.

mike @ 9/14/2012 2:42 PM

@deez nutz

Please settle the business of your name before making fun of the professionalism of others.

Full Grown Bear @ 9/14/2012 8:42 PM

I have one of the new Fords and dont like it at all. First the inside is so small by the time I get all my electrical gear in I have no room to to move. Second is that the seats make it feel as if you are riding in a wagon. Third is the worst part of it all it has no power. The V6 has no place in a patrol car that works the road. It might be alright in a city but on the highway it won't hold up. All you have to do is look at every other V6 patrol car and they have motor problems that the V8 cars don't. The turbo V6 will have the power but that's a lot of extra cost to (I have heard its about 5k upgrade) just to keep up with a V8 car. The Dodge Charger is a far better choice. My new Ford gets the same MPG as my Charger did. I don't see the new Ford lasting long.

218 @ 9/15/2012 1:50 PM

FULL GROWN BEAR: You say a V-6 won't hold up, but do you realize that many of the Chargers on the road are V-6 versions?

gary pearse @ 9/15/2012 11:32 PM

We run Fords & Holdens(GMC) here in OZ, both are uncomfortable, hard to use the safety features that comes with the car, especially the seat belt, reduced visibility out of the smaller windows, very low headspace, you crack your neck getting in & out of the vehicle and it bounces against the ceiling when driving, little footwell room, once you gear up, especially with body armour, you're jammed in the seat, can't turn around, can't duck below the dash, can't exfiltrate the unit rapidly. the maker's, especially Holden (GMC) & Ford have stuffed up completely concentrating on buiding semi-racers instead of human convanyence units. The best units we have are the transporter vans / brawlers, Mercedes and VW. Unfortunately like America we have a buy at home first policy which doesn't help either. We don't have an Chryslers (Dodges) anymore, they were always a comfortable car, if a bit tinny.

leftcoastmark @ 9/17/2012 8:19 AM

First - the crown vic is NOT coming back, so get over it. Yes, the new sedan is smaller than the CV (I'm 6'4" 225lbs, btw), but so are all the new sedans. It will just take some re-thinking of equipment inside.

Second - I don't get the "V6's won't hold up" argument. What makes a 6 less durable than an 8? Technology has changed a lot over the last 20 years folks. That's like saying "a phone with a glass front won't be durable enough". Ahem. Remember this is the same engine that Ford put into its F150 - it's most profitable vehicle. Screw that up, and Ford would really be in trouble.

Third - the V6 Ecoboost isn't $5k extra, and "just to keep up to a V8 car" (I assume you mean the Crown Vic)? That's dinosaur thinking. How can you say it's slow? The Ecoboost is a lighter car and has 100 more HP. Even the NA V6 has 300hp. The Ecoboost blows the doors off a Crown Vic in any test you can give it. The ecoboost engine produces full torque at 2000rpm. The CV had to rev to 4500rpm to do that.

Darkh2ocop @ 9/17/2012 9:02 AM

A few points; I'm 603 220, CV has no headroom Seat all the way back and reclined, And we don't have cages, Most of the CV's that I had maxed out at 137, I had an 02 that would only get 112, The listed top end for CV's was 129 MPH. We have take home cars (for duty use only) and put between 30-40k a year on them. My spouses 500 has much better acceleration then the CV's that I had, It has the 3.0 V6. I have no idea what it's top end is, and don't want to know! The CV was made in Canada. It's amazing just how many people don't know that or think about that.

davejames @ 9/17/2012 3:00 PM

The outgoing Crown Vic has under 250 hp whereas the incoming 3.5 V6 for the Taurus has 288 hp. With any luck, most agencies will opt for the 3.7 V6 which is what you see in the base Mustangs now. It won't have that low end torque like V8s do, but most departments are concerned with fuel costs rather than horse power and torque figures. As for the Ecoboost, it is about $3,500 extra so most departments can consider that engine as wishful thinking. Inside is cramped as hell, forcing departments to switch to a different in car computer. It's not the worst vehicle, however the Charger offers some more room compared to the Taurus.