A Jackson County (Ga.) Sheriff's deputy escaped serious injury, when he lept from his propane-fuelled patrol car that had burst into flames, reports the Athens Banner-Herald.
The interior of the car caught fire, when Deputy Gary Cox decided to light up a cigarette. The agency is investigating whether there was a leak and has suspended propane use.
Two years ago, the agency began installing conversion kits on its 63 vehicles that allow them to run on either unleaded gasoline or propane fuel. The agency, which is now saving the agency $150,000 annually on fuel costs, paid for the kits with funds from drug busts.
Read the full story at OnlineAthens.com.