Photo via General Motors/Chevrolet.
Law enforcement agencies can begin placing orders for the detective version of the 2011 Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) in October and the police package in January, General Motors has announced.
The detective package (9C3) vehicle will arrive in April and the police package (9C1) version will arrive in June, according to the company.
The rear-wheel-drive Caprice PPV joins the front-wheel-drive Chevrolet Impala and the Chevrolet Tahoe PPV, giving the company a full line of vehicles for law enforcement.
"When we began designing our latest police vehicle, we went directly to our customers and found that they were looking for a rear-wheel, large sedan with a V-8 engine," according to Brian Small, general manager of GM Fleet and Commercial Operations. "By announcing the available specs and ordering information now, we're following through with our promise to provide them with the advanced technologies that best serve their needs for comfort, performance and safety."
The all-new Caprice PPV includes these features:
- Comfort: Segment-leading interior volume (112 cubic feet / 3,172 liters) provides a spacious interior, providing officers with more comfort for long hours on patrol. In addition, it has specially designed front seats sculptured to allow for gun belts. The seats are made with high wear material and have a seat back security panel. There's also an eight-way power driver's seat with reclining back and lumbar control, featuring quick-adjust manual fore and aft movement for additional comfort.
- Performance: Responsive rear-wheel-drive and a powerful 6.0L V-8 engine, with 355 horsepower and 384 lb.-ft. torque, including the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management technology and E85 capability. It delivers expected best-in-class top speed and zero-to-60 acceleration in less than six seconds. A V-6 engine also will be available beginning in the 2012 model year. In addition, the 6-speed transmission has sport shift calibrations for performance driving. A 2.92 axle ratio with limited slip is standard.
- Safety: Full-width prisoner partition enabled by front seat only head curtain with side impact airbags. Rear seat head curtain side impact airbags are available. StabiliTrak, GM's electronic stability control technology, provides a "police performance" mode for enhanced stability during high-speed driving.
- Exterior: Vehicle has an overall length of 204.2 inches (5,186.1 mm), an overall width of 74.75 inches (1,898.7 mm) and an overall height of 58.66 inches (1,489.95 mm). Efficient packaging allows spacious interior, without showing it on the exterior. Standard 18-inch steel wheels with bolt on center caps and wheel covers.
- Interior: Designed for five-passenger seating, the upper-center section of the dashboard can be used for equipment mounting without concern of air bag deployment interference. A certified speedometer (160-mph certified analog) includes trip odometer, warning lights and multifunction display with Engine Oil Life monitor. A Driver Information Center with a "Trap Speed" feature captures speed when tracking/pacing other vehicles.
- Additional Options: Available auxiliary battery to power police equipment and full-size spare tire under a flat load surface. Vinyl rear seat and floor covering also available.
A full list of vehicle specifications and additional information about the Caprice PPV can be found at the updated Chevrolet Caprice PPV website.