DrugTest 5000 - Draeger Safety Diagnostics Inc
In the past, roadside drug screening has been difficult because it involved the...

Exclusive Webinar!

Originally aired: June 17, 2014  ● 2PM EST

View Webinar Archive Here

Integrated Law Enforcement Complements and Completes Law Enforcement Capabilities

Discover how the combination of intelligence analysis, lead generation, agency collaboration, and communications integration can help you uncover issues faster and take action sooner. Learn how innovative IBM law enforcement solutions can extend the capabilities within your organization to deal with new and emerging threats, improve officer safety, reduce criminal activity, and protect the public.

Join IBM industry expert Stephen Dalzell and members from the MDPD, IT and homeland security departments of the Miami Dade police department to hear more!

Click here to view archive

Video Shows Fatal Assault on Miss. Detective

April 08, 2013  |

Photo courtesy of Jackson PD.
Photo courtesy of Jackson PD.

Interrogation room surveillance video captured the killing of a Jackson (Miss.) Police detective by a murder suspect, as more details emerged about the line-of-duty death.

Detective Eric Smith, 40, had brought Jeremy Powell, 23, into a third-floor interrogation room on Thursday to interview him about the homicide of a man who was found dead on a Jackson street.

Detective Smith, who was armed, didn't handcuff Powell during the interrogation. The interview became combative and Powell assaulted Detective Smith, overpowering him and taking away the detective's service pistol. Powell fatally shot Detective Smith four times and then killed himself.

The Jackson Police Department so far has refused to release the video footage of the encounter, reports the Associated Press.

Detective Smith, who served the department since 1995, was one of the agency's lead robbery-homicide detectives. In 2012, Smith received the Jackson's Best Award, an honor given to employees who go above and beyond the call of duty in the City of Jackson, reports WAPT.

Detective Smith has been remembered as a devoted father, who left behind two sons.

Tags: Jackson (Miss.) PD, Interrogation, Video Surveillance

Sgt D. Marshall @ 4/8/2013 6:27 PM

R.I.P brother! We got it from here.

RICHARD ISAACS @ 4/8/2013 7:17 PM

I SURE HOPE SOME LESSONS WERE LEARNED DUE TO THIS TRAGEDY.
RIP DECT. ERIC SMITH. I HOPE TO MEET YOU WHEN MY TURN COMES.

JJ @ 4/8/2013 7:40 PM

no need to release it at this time...respect the families. screw the press.

campus cop @ 4/7/2013 8:52 PM

RIP sir. Blues be safe out there.

therookie @ 4/8/2013 9:35 PM

R.I.P. Detective. I just told my ex-partner to be extremely careful out there, because it is open season on our Nations Finest. Everybody, please watch you 3, 6, 9, & 12 o'clocks. This is a scary time for you all out there. GOD be with you all.

Renee @ 4/9/2013 3:03 AM

Rest in Peace dear Brother!

Trigger @ 4/9/2013 4:28 AM

Rest in peace Detective Smith, may the good Lord hold you close.

LT. Jer @ 4/9/2013 5:24 AM

There is no need to release the video footage to the public. How about a little bit of respect for Det. Smith's loved ones? I guess the press/media will never learn about common decency....RIP and may God bring comfort to your loved ones.

Chief T @ 4/9/2013 6:40 AM

Rest in peace brother... 10-42

Lt. Cruise @ 4/8/2013 6:48 AM

Recently it seems like its open season on Law Enforcement. We watch for the bad guys that's prey on the innocent and have to watch for those who prey on us. We can't set in our cars and eat without looking over our shoulders. My wife realises now why when we go out to eat why I never set with my back to the door. My heart goes out to the family and friends of W. Va.Sheriff Crum and Det. Smith. Your job is now done and God has called you for a different tour of duty where peace is always is always

Deputy King @ 4/9/2013 7:15 AM

R.I.P. brother.

Capt Davis @ 4/9/2013 8:42 AM

Even experienced officers make mistakes and put our guard down,but my brother in blue,did his job well.I salute you and pray for your family, other officers keep your head up and your backs covered.

arturo ramos @ 4/9/2013 10:15 AM

This is a sad day for Law Enforcement, my prayers and thoughts go out to the family and friends. In my 34 years in law enforcement,things have not change. the hatre and violence towards Law Enforcement will continue, we have to prevail, we have to mentally and physcially be prepared for the worst while on or off the job. the stress through out the years is slowly taking its toll on us. The "END OF WATCH" go home and enjoy your family and friends. Be safe "GOD speed"

Capt David-retired LA Cou @ 4/9/2013 12:21 PM

What the hell happened here?? No cuffs, officer armed and one on one with a MURDER suspect..

M.Conner @ 4/8/2013 3:59 PM

Regardless of whether mistakes were made or not. A fellow crime fighter has lost his life. You will be missed and god bless your family.

Fred Stevens @ 4/9/2013 5:10 PM

R.I.P. Brother and my prayers to your family.

Steve @ 4/10/2013 6:31 AM

My sympathy to this officer's family and department!
I hope that the department will not allow that video to EVER be put out for the public to see. This officer's family is going through a tremendous amount of heartache right now and will never completely heal from the ordeal. They surely won't need any reminders in the future, just to appease the news media, cop haters, and thrill seekers!

Deputy M.Garcia @ 4/10/2013 7:07 AM

My prayers will be with his family.

Sgt. T. Goodman @ 4/11/2013 3:14 AM

An animal has taken another of our heroes.

James Brown @ 4/11/2013 10:51 AM

Another fine man in law enforcement has reached the end of his shift.
We'll carry on from here.

James Brown @ 4/11/2013 10:55 AM

Another fine man in law enforcement has ended his shift. We all grieve.
NPSO Deputy Brown

S.S. @ 4/11/2013 2:50 PM

R.I.P. Det. E. Smith, my thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family, and family in blue.

Bob@Az. @ 4/11/2013 11:15 PM

RIP Detective Smith. My condolences to both his families. I sure am getting sick of saying good bye to Blues. Be safe.

TrooperB @ 4/12/2013 4:00 AM

Sorry for the loss of Det. Smith. My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends and extend to those in Blue!!!!!!!!!