BART Shuts Down 4 Stations, Faces FCC Probe
August 16, 2011
Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) police shut down four stations in downtown San Francisco, following ongoing protesting of the fatal shooting of a homeless man in July.
BART police shut down stations along Market Street on Monday, but didn't disrupt cellphone service as it did last week, which spurred online hacking from an activist group known as Anonymous, reports The Atlantic Wire.
BART police said the station closures were a safety measure to prevent dangerously overcrowded platforms.
The agency's move to block cellular service in its tunnels to disrupt Aug. 11 protests over the July 3 shooting has resulted in a legal challenge from the Federal Communications Commission, reports the San Francisco Chronicle.
Sources: The Atlantic Wire, San Francisco Chronicle.
Related: Will Video Evidence Satisfy the BART Doubters? (video)
Displaying 1 - 1 of 1
Ima Leprechaun @ 8/16/2011 10:59 PM
Not sure that was the best response. Cell phones are a hassle but they do save lives better than a gun ever could.
Join the Discussion
Other Recent News
“By studying variation between groups, such as sexes and ancestry groups, on the basis of...
Getac Inc., manufacturer of rugged computers, announced that the Las Vegas (Nev.) Metro PD...
Smiths Detection today launches HI-SCAN 6040C, a compact checkpoint scanner designed...
Colorado lawmakers studying ways to collect data on racial profiling by law enforcement...
The Office of Personnel Management now says 5.6 million people's fingerprints were stolen...