Thomas Quirke, vice president of Motorola Product and Solutions Marketing, demonstrates the APX 7000 multi-band portable radio. Photo courtesy of Motorola Inc.
Motorola Inc.'s Enterprise Mobility Solutions business unit has unveiled a comprehensive plan for delivering advanced communications to the nation's public safety agencies, the company announced.
The strategy, which Motorola is calling the "Next Generation of Public Safety," establishes "the building blocks extending from the mission-critical core for first responders to realize true mobile broadband connection speeds and access to rich-media applications delivered on advanced collaborative data devices," according to the company.
The plan was unveiled Monday during a press briefing at the Motorola Innovation Center in Schaumburg, Ill.
(Listen to our podcast with Motorola's broadband public safety director.)
Motorola's next generation of public safety solutions will maximize operational effectiveness by converging voice, image, data, and video communications from a multimedia, integrated command center and extend the reach of current mission-critical communications networks.
This will connect critical resources across agencies and jurisdictions, and between mission-critical two-way and broadband networks. With stronger networks and greater capabilities, public safety agencies can supplement voice with rich data and video content to empower first responders with the best information when and where it matters most to best serve and protect their communities.
"Motorola presents a powerful combination of new technologies resulting from our 75 years of experience supporting the public-safety community," said Greg Brown, Motorola's co-CEO and Enterprise Mobility Solutions and Networks CEO. "By working in close collaboration with public safety agencies, command-center operators and first responders, we've developed solutions that will leverage their existing infrastructure investments in mission-critical communications to transform their operations and move them to a broadband, multimedia future."
In developing its next-generation public-safety plan, Motorola has defined six key areas of innovation. They are designed to outline how public safety agencies can leverage their investments to dramatically enhance situational awareness with real-time, rich-media collaboration, improve productivity for day-to-day operations and heighten disaster preparedness.
- Mobile broadband enables high speed wireless connections vital for multimedia applications and services. Motorola's solutions meet critical public safety requirements for tailored and hardened capabilities that deliver the control, priority, security, and performance demanded by first responders.
- Interoperability solutions connect critical resources across agencies and jurisdictions, link private and public non-mission critical networks and bridge two-way radio systems with emerging mobile broadband networks.
- Integrated command enables common, intuitive user experiences and meaningful interactions across command-center applications, marrying radio consoles with computer-aided dispatch systems that converge voice, data, records and video.
- Video security offers intelligent solutions that analyze and correlate video with voice and data and share information optimally between the command center and the field to provide a new level of situational awareness without information overload.
- Advanced devices pairs two-way radios with multimedia data devices designed and tested to be simple and intuitive and validated by human-factor research on how individuals react in stressful situations.
- Workforce mobility brings enterprise efficiencies to public safety responders with streamlined applications and processes to support day-to-day operations as well as incident and disaster management.
"We know the challenges are becoming increasingly complex and our customers must do more with less, which is why they need to find greater value in their technology investments," said Brown. "Our long history and commitment to delivering innovative public-safety solutions trusted by first responders gives us a unique perspective for leading the way to a new generation of public safety solutions."