ESS Crossbow Photochromic Ballistic Eyeshield - ESS Eyepro
The ESS Crossbow Photochromic eyeshield are created using Transition Optics...

LAPD SWAT Officer May Have Suffered Career-Ending Wound

August 19, 2014  |

A Los Angeles police officer shot in the leg in a gun battle that left one of two suspected gunmen dead may have suffered a career-ending wound, his surgeon said Monday.

The 22-year veteran has been a member of the department's elite METRO unit -- or SWAT -- team for 15 years, said LAPD Cmdr. Andy Smith, a department spokesman. He is married and has three kids, NBC 4 TV reports.

The officer will be able to walk again, but he may not be able to run, said Dr. Gary Chen, the director of orthopedic surgery at California Hospital.

Tags: LAPD, Police Officer Wounded, California

Chuck @ 8/19/2014 4:26 PM

My dear brother I'm so sorry. I feel for you. At least one POS is out of the gene pool. Thanks brother for what you've done for your fellow officers and the community.

Tschako @ 8/19/2014 6:52 PM

Hey, another LAPD brother just returned to full duty with a prosthetic foot. If you want to, you can do it. Best wishes for a good recovery. Never let anyone convince you that you can't do it.

Martha @ 8/19/2014 10:15 PM

My prayers for your fast recovery, just think positive and you can do it have faith in God,

Martha @ 8/19/2014 10:17 PM

My prayer for you and Fam. wishes
for a fast recovery

Ted @ 8/19/2014 11:12 PM

Enjoy your retirement.

TheRookie @ 8/20/2014 1:19 AM

If he wants to stay they can find a position for him to finish out his time so he gets a better % for highest 3 years of wages made. If he don't want to then I say, enjoy the retirement. I was put on medically administrative pay in 2008 & was officially retired medically in 2010. Love having no (zero) bosses any more doing what I want. Sure did miss it at first, and gained way to much weight. Best of luck in your recovery & health Brother in Blue.

vince @ 8/20/2014 6:32 AM

After the politicians stupid dialogue about tactics/military weapons for Police in Missouri, I hope America stands up for this Wounded Warrior! where is Holder and Obama now!

Roger Dane @ 8/20/2014 6:37 AM

Wishing you the best possible recovery. Hang tough... surprise the nay sayers and get well.

Mike Fleming @ 8/20/2014 7:11 AM

Stay strong Brother! Know that Kansas is thinking of you and your family.

Pup @ 8/20/2014 8:28 AM

Get well soon sir, LAPD needs you back on the force. I'm sure D-Platoon will find a spot for you. One note, why hasn't Obama comment on the shooting?