SI Prizm MFrame - Oakley
Oakley Standard Issue has developed an array of contrast enhanced Prizm lenses...

3 Killed in Maryland Mall Shooting

January 25, 2014  |

Three people were killed shortly after 11 am on the second floor of a crowded Mall in Columbia, according to Howard County police. One of those who was found near a gun and ammunition is believed to be the shooter.

Police report the area is now secure.

"We are confident it was a single shooter," said Howard County Police Chief William J. McMahon, who spoke at the mall. McMahon told the Baltimore Sun he could not say yet whether the incident was the result of a dispute between people who knew each or a random act of violence.

Tags: Active Shooters, Shopping Malls, Howard County (Md.) PD

Kenton Herbert @ 1/25/2014 12:52 PM

What is going on in this country. Why don"t these malls have police officers working there. It is most unfortunate people had to be killed. It has gotten so we have to expect this to happen everywhere now. I was hoping to not have to carry anymore after I retired but I guess the best defence against these criminals is for all police and retired police to be well armed and ready to protect the public whenever required. I hope the government doesn"t take away our right to carry too. Then only the scumbags will have guns. God bless all you guys and be safe out there

Tschako @ 1/25/2014 1:02 PM

I think the making of "Gun Free Zones" is related to the increase in these shootings, but in reality very few people die this way. More children die drowning in 5 gallon buckets each year than the total dead from all mass shootings. Yes they tried to take everyone's 5 gallon bucket away too, but it didn't fly. With the internet, everyone gets the news of these things in an instant. That makes the media-ghouls jump on them instantly.

Chuck @ 1/25/2014 1:24 PM

I thought Maryland's Draconian Gun Laws are supposed to prevent these types of incidents from happening?

alan @ 1/25/2014 2:21 PM

@Kenton Herbert, Your response is unrealistic. Even in a perfect world where every store had an armed guard/officer you still would not be able to stop every gunman. You insinuate that you are retired and that as part of your work you had to carry a weapon and that after your retirement you had hoped that you would not have to carry anymore. Welcome to the real world "officer" we live in a violent world and if you can carry ccw consider yourself lucky at least you will have a chance to protect yourself and your loved ones. time to get your head out of the sand (or else where) and get with the program!

TERRY ZECH @ 1/25/2014 2:22 PM

They had better plan on taking mine from my cold dead retired police fingers. We are never off duty I will protect the public when and if the time arises. Hopefully never but I will be ready.

Terry @ 1/25/2014 3:34 PM

Howard County Police Officers are assigned to this mall and have a work station there. The Mall is posted as a "gun free zone" and prohibits firearms - the criminals obviously ignore these zones.

Capt. crunch @ 1/25/2014 4:40 PM

I agree with you Terry, I am also retired and I find that I need my firearm more now than I did when I was working. What these punks don't know about me is that I am still a good shot.

Retired Chief @ 1/25/2014 5:08 PM

I will CCW until either my physical or mental skills diminish to the point where it would be unsafe. I now live in a very rural, low crime rate area after having spent my career in urban, high violent crime rate areas. I owe it to myself and my family to be able to protect them if need be. I also owe it to the officers in this county who might have to wait an hour or more for their closest backup. I would have a difficult time living with myself if I came across an Officer, Deputy or Trooper who needed armed backup and I was unequipped to provide it.

Uncle Mike @ 1/25/2014 6:44 PM

Virtually every shooting occurs in a "Gun free zone". We might as well call them "Free fire zones". The damn psychopaths know that their chances of being stopped are nearly zero in these idiotic "safe" areas.
I'm a Retired Officer and if I can't carry my handgun somewhere, I won't go there. I spent most of my adult life trying to keep other people from becoming victims and I have no intention of becoming a victim myself.

jon @ 1/26/2014 6:13 AM

Uncle Mike, I couldn't agree with you more. These "Gun Free Zones" are the problem. It's an open invitation to a shooting gallery for any wacko out there. I also place a lot of the blame also on the violent movies Hollywood produces along with the violent video games these kids play nowadays. Throw some prescription medicine in the mix that many of these suicidal shooters seem to be on, and you have a recipe for disaster..

Al @ 1/26/2014 6:44 AM

I agree "Gun Free Zones" may create as many, or more, problems than they are intended to solve. I also think to maintain gun rights we must recognize the real concerns of those who see the guns as the intrinsic problem. Toward that end it's important to avoid hyperbole that can weaken or defense of guns and the argument that mental health problems are the number one cause of death from guns. In the US 32,000 people die from guns each year. 60% of those are from suicide. 1,000 are accidental. In contrasts 26% of accidental deaths in the US in children 1-4 are from all forms of drowning. That amounts to 450 children as a total for all forms of drowning (19% occur at pools with a certified lifeguard present). The "Gun Free Zones" are flawed because they drive law abiding citizens who carry away or force them to be unarmed, are ignored by bad guys, and provide a false sense of security for sheep and a target area for wolves.

Thomas Wiederhold @ 1/26/2014 10:32 AM

I know exactly how Kenton Herbert feels, I retired after 34 years. I too had hoped that I might be able to enjoy some time without a gun always on my hip. I wanted to be able to enjoy life without worrying if my gun showed, or reading postings on doors to be sure I could enter. His head is not in the sand, his head is where we all would like to be after years of living on the edge. and that is off that freaking edge. I know the real world far too well,,,,,,,, But is it too much to wish for some peace after years of war.

Thomas Wiederhold @ 1/26/2014 10:32 AM

Leonard J Wolons @ 1/26/2014 2:40 PM

I have been on the job 30 years, I will not go any where that I am not allowed to carry. As I have said, just one more reason not to go see the Lions.

John @ 1/26/2014 3:55 PM

Gun free zones and non carry states are just SLAUGHTER ZONES for Sheeple that is why we moved to all carry like ALASKA! Very cold here and may move to TEXAS if they enact same laws there?

GAPP @ 1/26/2014 8:06 PM

reads like another domestic gone public, I wonder if they had orders in place and appears like a muder suicide episode. People intent on this type of episode couldn't care less about Gun free zones or police presence or background checks before buying a firearm.

Serpico @ 1/27/2014 11:30 AM

People drive drunk and kill others with cars everyday. But we haven't "Outlawed" cars & alcohol. But the same people who, want Amnesty for Illegal Aliens who break ONE law after another. But the Radical Left doesn't care about laws do they?
Gun control is about "Controlling People". Just like putting more people on Welfare. EBT, Obamaphone etc.

claywatson @ 1/27/2014 12:21 PM

Agree with previous postings. All Simon Malls (they go under different names -- this Maryland mall may not have been a Simon) are notorious self-defense-free zones. Except in Mississippi, where the optional "Enhanced" permit lets you ignore all posted areas. Exceptions are courtrooms in session, places of detention (prison, jail), and cathouses.