Calif. Boy Fires Officer's Holstered Pistol

September 03, 2013  |

Screenshot via CBS News.
Screenshot via CBS News.
A Lodi (Calif.) Police officer was injured, when a boy fired the officer's holstered gun at an educational reading event and ran away, reports the Stockton Record.

A member of the agency's SWAT team was attending a community event on Aug. 24 when the accidental discharge occurred. A boy age 6 to 8 walked up behind the officer and pulled the trigger of the officer's Glock 35. The pistol was in a thigh holster with a weapon-mounted flashlight, reports CBS Sacramento.

The boy's identity is unknown because he fled. The officer suffered only a minor injury.

Tags: Lodi (Calif.) PD, Accidental Discharges, Community Relations

Brian @ 9/3/2013 3:31 PM

There has to be more to this story...
How did the boy get his finger in the trigger guard, what holster presents an open trigger? Somebody really messed-up on this one!

Dom @ 9/3/2013 3:34 PM

Prolly a safariland. A child's finger is small enough to get in between the holster and the gun to press the trigger. Ive tried it with an unloaded 23 in a 6378 with my pinky. Almost got it

Dom @ 9/3/2013 3:38 PM

On the lightbearing safariland holsters there is a significant gap that allows a pinky n or small childs finger to get to the trigger

Sam @ 9/3/2013 4:22 PM

It's hard to imagine not feeling a child reaching into the holster far enough to fire the weapon, and assuming the child was able to, was nobody else around to see it and stop the kid? It doesn't make sense with what's told in the article.

David Anderson @ 9/3/2013 4:31 PM

Another little-noted feature of Glocks and similar sidearms. Combine a light trigger with an absence of external or grip safety. With a Sig 226 or the like, it takes much more of a trigger pull to pop a cap. I've experimented with a 9 year old and he simply didn't have the strength to do it in that awkward situation.

Chuck @ 9/3/2013 5:58 PM

Sounds like the Glock 35 had the stock 3.5# connector in it. The holsters that allow for an installed weaponslight have more than enough space to get most anyone's finger into it and access the trigger. This is why the Glock 35 with light I used to carry on duty also has a NY1 trigger spring in it. A 6 or 8-year old child could never pull the trigger.

GP Cobb @ 9/3/2013 10:22 PM

How do you spell, 1911? Seems safer to me, YMMV.

Doc @ 9/4/2013 6:16 PM

The weight of the trigger has nothing to do with it, the holster should not have a gap that will let a finger in. Heavy triggers just make a gun less accurate, this was poor holster selection, just think what a convict could do to an officer with this kind of holster and even a Heavy trigger pull. As a Firearms Instructor, I used the Blackhawk CQC and I have a 3.5 connector on my Glock 22C.

Bluevixen @ 9/7/2013 12:16 PM

Okay, I know I am late joining the discussion but there has to be waaaay more to this story. All LEOs know you don't let anyone come up behind you, and you definitely don't let anyone get close to your gun. I am sorry but it sounds to me like this officer was showing them the gun and said "don't ..." and the little boy being curious pulled the trigger. Thank God no one was hurt.

Bluevixen @ 9/7/2013 12:25 PM

Correction: I meant "seriously" hurt . My prayers go out to the injured officer and all those affected by this situation.

4a15 @ 9/10/2013 1:51 PM

"I am the only one in this room qualified to handle this gun." Here we go again.

So... how do we know it was a small child, if he ran away, and slipped into a crowd. No description of the kid? Was this a silenced pistol? Because the normal BANG that comes from a pistol somehow did not get anyone to look their direction. Technically, this child committed a felony! Or was someone playing with their gun with tacticool crap in a tacticool holster? This sounds fishy.

Ima Leprechaun @ 9/12/2013 11:55 PM

Obviously not a good holster for police use.