Officers End 19-Hour N.Y. Standoff, Suspect Killed

March 14, 2013  |

Kurt Myers hid in a bar for 19 hours with SWAT officers surrounding the building. Photo courtesy of New York State Police.

Law enforcement officers shot and killed a suspect early Thursday who had shot six people in an upstate New York town a day earlier, triggering a 19-hour standoff with local, state, and federal authorities.

Late Wednesday, SWAT teams surrounded a bar in Herkimer after Kurt Myers, 64, opened fire in two businesses, killing four and wounding two others. He had entered a barber shop and coolly asked a man cutting hair, "Do you remember me?," reports ABC News.

Myers opened fire on officers who approached the building on Wednesday.

At about 8 a.m. today, the FBI sent in a K-9 dog with a camera and Myers opened fire again, killing the dog. SWAT and FBI officers stormed the bar and shot and killed Myers, reports the New York Times.

Tags: FBI, Active Shooters, K-9 Units, Barricaded Suspects, New York State Police, Herkimer (N.Y.) PD

Rick @ 3/14/2013 3:46 PM

Sadly this is another case of citizens not being able to defend themselves with a CCW and LEO's having to clean up afterwards.

JJ Golliday #816 @ 3/14/2013 4:20 PM

Well said Rick. From a 32 yr. LEO.

TimFromLA @ 3/14/2013 4:23 PM

Rick

It has nothing to do with CCWs. I live in Los Angeles, we don't have CCWs, and I'm not paranoid. But since you are a gun rights advocate and are against sensible gun control, ask yourself this question,

Why is the FBI getting involved in a state crime? If Herkimer needed help, why didn't they call the county and/or State law enforcement? Answer that question? haven't you heard of posse comitatus? And guess what, since I'm a taxpayer, why did the dog I have to pay for die? CCW...meh! I'm more scared of feds taking over our local law enforcement

Chuck @ 3/14/2013 5:08 PM

Tim, it has everything in the world to do with CCW's. If you chose to not be able to defend yourself, then so be it, don't force your wishes on everyone else. You chose to not carry a gun, great that is your choice I applaud the fact that you are not afraid or paranoid. Neither am I, however, I choose to carry a firearm simply for the fact that I can according to our founding fathers, I choose to not be a victim if and when the need arrises and choose to carry a firearm (as you choose to not, see how that works, you don't want to, I do, I allow you to make your choice, you allow me to make mine, I don't tell you what you can or can't do, you don't tell me what I can or can't do. pretty neat huh?). I truly don't care what agency is involved in putting a stop to this obviously mentally unbalanced person, a mentally unballanced person that had already made his mind up to commit these murderous acts (didn't even need an "assault weapon" to do it). Instead of focusing on who did take action to stop this loon, how about you focus on who is not taking action, focus on the politicians that refuse to allow us to enforce the laws, focus on the politicians that refuse to allow us to keep those that prey on sociaty in prison where they belong, focus on those groups and organizations that fight to lessen the sentencing and severity of punishment because it is too harsh on those poor imates that are preying on the members of society the true victims. That is the problem, not the legal, law abiding, constitutionally protected citizens, not their firearms, not their firearms magazines, not their bullets, not their gun powder. Focus on the animals and the groups, organizations and politicians that allow them to remain unpunished animals, not society and those that are not acting like animals.

PaulFromTX @ 3/14/2013 5:13 PM

Tim, I'll try to address your gibberish. The point Rick was making is that an armed citizenry might have interceded before so many were shot. "Sensible" gun control is allowing law -abiding citizens the opportunity to defend themselves. As far as asking FBI assitance goes, I'm pretty sure New York is part of this country and within the FBI's venue. And the locals did ask for state help according the article. Besides, if it was your family in danger, who cares who assists in addressing a homicidal maniac? And since you mentioned it, posse comitatus relates to using the military for enforcing the law and has nothing to do with the FBI, who is charged with enforcing law. Finally, the dog didn't have to die. But neither did four humans. The suspect made that choice. Officers using a dog to apprehend a violent subject is to potentially save an officer.

vincenzino @ 3/14/2013 6:40 PM

I am a staunch supporter of gun control. I use both hands.

JusMe @ 3/14/2013 6:41 PM

Conceled carry state or rights arent the problem here. You can't stop every crazy person or prevent every sad event. Calm down.

Mike @ 3/14/2013 7:30 PM

Tim, FBI is involved if 1. are requested, 2. a kidnapping, 3. Local resources cannot handle it. I am cool with my tax dollars trying to save a man. I'm also cool with him dying to save others. What I am not cool with, is he forced someone else to do his cowardly work. Now some poor cop has to live with that for the rest of his life, to keep you, or others like you safe.

And might I add, if there was people control, we would not need gun control.

Sleep well, knowing some of your neighbors may be armed and may be saving your life.

gp cobb @ 3/14/2013 7:57 PM

Tim, FYI posse comitatus is dead, Google it. Sad........

Tschako @ 3/14/2013 11:01 PM

Chuck: Way to go!! Right on. Tim: I've read your drivel before, and you shouldn't be on this forum.
Having worked for a State agency, I've coordinated arrests with the FBI several times, none of them have been good. My understanding is that they already had robots available at this long standoff, which could have been used instead of sacrificing a well trained dog.

Tschako @ 3/14/2013 11:11 PM

I can't let this go by. This is the second crazy mass murder since Newtown, and both used shotguns. We haven't heard a word about banning shotguns from the knee-jerkers who want to ban all sorts of guns, not even from Cuomo, who was on the scene. And, we won't.
Doesn't that give you some thoughts about the anti-gun agenda?

Crash @ 3/15/2013 4:17 AM

A point no one has made, is it illegal to plain carry in Ny? Is it illegal for a shopkeeper to have a firearm in his place of business?

Will @ 3/15/2013 5:38 AM

Liberal minded folks are brain washed. They can't open there mind to facts. Everywhere in the world where gun control is tried violence goes up. Every where citizens have access to the same weapons the criminals have violence is lower. The problem is those with mental issues. There are more mentally disturbed people in the world today because our population has increased not decreased and technology has increased. The technology of weapons and technology of the news media. The media delivers the news within minutes of an incident.

The bloodiest time in all of human history occurred during a time when people fought with swords and spears. There were no guns. If guns are the problem then why did more people die at a time in history when they did not even exist? Mass killing with fertilizer and arson have killed more people at one time than guns. If you want to comment about a topic you should educate yourself before you consider yourself an authority or have a strong opinion. GUNS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM. Unless you can remove guns from the world (including all military in the world) you are having a conversation that is a waste of time. The conversation needs to be about how to address the problem of mentally insane, mentally disturbed and those who used guns to commit criminal acts. Here is a question for all. Why is a person selling dope on the street corner considered a dope dealer and a doctor selling dope to a person with a prescription addition not a crime? UM!

26 years of law enforcement experience.

Dan B @ 3/15/2013 6:51 AM

To Jusme: Correct. Cooler heads will prevail. To Mike: So you're cool with all of that? Do you carry a badge? To gp cobb: if you think the posse is dead, try coming to my state and telling the "sovereign nation" we have here. The posse may be weak or on life support, but it is still breathing! To Will: It is truly a problem when you cannot stop the carrying of a concealed weapon, or for that matter, the purchase of ANY weapon by those that are mentally disturbed. But we cannot deprive them of their constitutional right to bare arms and kill some of the rest of us.

Phil @ 3/15/2013 9:06 AM

I carry a concealed weapon off duty and I have a fire extinguisher in my home and a spare tire in my trunk, so does that make me "paranoid". I would like to think that makes me prepared. I have been a LEO for 22 years and have yet to shoot anyone, even having justification numerous times due to a suspects imminent threat of unjustified deadly physical force or serious physical injury to myself or a third person. With that being said I have no idea what today holds and would much rather go into public knowing that I have the ability to defend myself and family from any mentally deranged lunatic looking for a body count than looking for the good graces of said lunatic when he turns the gun towards me.

BTW I hope for this deranged man was following state law and did not exceed the 7 round limit imposed by his state. Since only 6 were shot maybe he was in compliance!

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims families.

upstate cop @ 3/15/2013 9:42 AM

The small communities in upstate New York are not NYC. They dont have dogs, swat teams, specialty units. I worked for the adjoining community to Herkimer. That is one tight knit group of professional cops there. Herkimer, Mohawk, Ilion, Frankfort. As a rule upstate cops utilize specialties from different Agencies to get the job done. As do most. Please do not assume that Upstate Law Enforcement is New York City.

Code 3 @ 3/17/2013 12:17 AM

How could this happen? Mayor Bloomberg has banned guns in the city and we all know gun control works. How dare this criminal defy hizonor?

Code 3 @ 3/17/2013 12:17 AM