SI Prizm MFrame - Oakley
Oakley Standard Issue has developed an array of contrast enhanced Prizm lenses...

Las Vegas Lt. Kills Family, Torches Home

January 22, 2013  |

A veteran Las Vegas police lieutenant called 911 early Monday to say he had killed his wife and son and had set fire to his Boulder City home.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is identifying the officer as Lt. Hans Walter, a 52-year-old who was hired by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department in 1991.

Boulder City police responded to a call at 8:20 a.m. Monday at 1313 Esther Drive. The caller also threatened to harm responding officers. The Henderson Police Department is overseeing the investigation.

Tags: Off-Duty Incidents, Murder-Suicide, Families of Officers

RICHARD ISAACS @ 1/22/2013 6:07 PM

I FEAR THIS TYPE OF INCIDENT WILL GROW AMONG POLICE AND MILITARY IF IMMEDIATE ACTION ISN'T BEGUN IMMEDIATELY. SOLDIERS AND MILITARY ARE AT WAR. PTSD IS A DISEASE WITH COMMON TRAITS AMONG LAW ENFORCEMENT AND THE MILITARY. THE TIME TO ACT IS NOW!

FireCop @ 1/23/2013 4:39 AM

It's not just the police and the military. What about all first responders. Two firefighters shot and killed in New York state a couple of weeks ago. Multiple incidents where medics have been assaulted while on duty. In this crazy and angry world all first responders are at risk, physically and mentally. Don't just demand help for one segment of public safety; demand it for all. Stay safe.

Glockthis @ 1/23/2013 8:11 AM

How do we know its a case of PTSD? Maybe the guy just went crazy. God bless this hamily.

tedb @ 1/23/2013 8:26 AM

Richard,

Exactly WHAT "immediate action" are you proposing we begin immediately?

Rick @ 1/23/2013 8:40 AM

Caliber Press Street Survival Seminars are great way to learn about dealing with the stresses of LE work and how to deal with those stresses in a constructive manner. Most departments have some sort of counseling, but many officers will not take advantage of the offer. What's distrubing is that there is a trend over the last year of LEO's committing suicide on the job, or harming others on/off the job. In addition to the other arguments for citizens being armed, this is another reason why the general public should have the right to have firearms and to openly/concealed carry them.

cop in the midwest @ 1/23/2013 8:46 AM

What kind of COMPLETE break with reality must occur to harm your own kids?!? Hate your job, hate the people you deal with, I get it, but your own family?

Cannot think of horror much worse than a parent killing their own. Killing your wife/husband/ex are all tragic, but your kids?

Sad and pathetic.

Capt David-retired LA Cou @ 1/23/2013 8:56 AM

Such a shame....my friend shot his wife in the face in a Denny's Restaurant in Los Angeles, in front of their kids, killing her. He worked vice and narco so much and drinking so much after the patrons beat the crap out of him he says he had no idea what happened...

Tim @ 1/23/2013 1:09 PM

If your agency has money for training take a look at this site:
If you have never had the opportunity to hear Bobby Smith speak, he will open you up to dealing w/stress.
Stay Safe!

sjskrnic@lasd.org @ 1/23/2013 1:47 PM

Richard,
I agree with the others in this issue. From what I only read here it gives no evidence of PTSD. I've been around working for LASD 33yrs and I am still active. I've seen my share of issues involving violence for a long time. I've known countless deputy sheriffs who have seen worse than me. I never wanted to do something like this. We can and will deal with stress many different ways. Most of the time in a case like this the guy went crazy due to a break up and killed his wife and family. What pisses me off is that he's a lieutenant. A "LEADER". He did not know enough to ask for help? And, In my own opinion he was a coward.